Sponsored by:

oil in air cleaner on 2017 streetglide

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2017, 07:14 PM
djs
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil in air cleaner on 2017 streetglide

Has anybody kept their oil level close to full hot with out the level going down or having oil in intake?

Old 08-04-2017, 07:47 PM
rmzebo
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I know mine cant do it. I have to keep it just below the middle.like on the 4th set of dots.
any more and into the air cleaner it goes.

Old 08-04-2017, 08:17 PM
djs
Intermediate

Thanks. Same here

Old 08-08-2017, 10:56 PM
Retrop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

Me three. Exasperating isn't it. This has been a problem with twin cams for years and now the same with M8.

Old 08-08-2017, 11:17 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,536 Likes on 4,430 Posts

working as designed as always..**** poor one at that..they just need to fix the dipstick so the readings reflect actual correct levels..it's stupid they continue to make this more confusing than it has to be

Old 08-09-2017, 04:53 AM
paullavery
Road Master
Received 111 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by djs
Has anybody kept their oil level close to full hot with out the level going down or having oil in intake?
Mine does now after adding a 1 qt at 2300 miles ! MJ is right though that dipstick is a bad design.

Old 08-09-2017, 06:34 AM
djs
Intermediate
Default Oil in air cleaner

Originally Posted by mjwebb
working as designed as always..**** poor one at that..they just need to fix the dipstick so the readings reflect actual correct levels..it's stupid they continue to make this more confusing than it has to be
thank you. Amen. At least i am not the only one that feels this is a bad set up.why have full on dipstick if its not the correct level. Djs

Old 08-09-2017, 02:59 PM
BrandonSmith
Club Member
Received 2,225 Likes on 1,409 Posts

I fill it so there are two empty dots when hot. It's stayed there for all 5000 miles.

Old 08-09-2017, 04:36 PM
texaswiz
Banned
Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by djs
thank you. Amen. At least i am not the only one that feels this is a bad set up.why have full on dipstick if its not the correct level. Djs
The problem is just not with the dipstick alone. The real problem is the fact that the engine pukes oil from the two rubber breather hoses up at the butterfly leading into the intake manifold. They call that "positive crankcase ventilation" technology and all vehicle manufacturers use some form of it on their product. On a modern day Harley the hotter the crankcase oil becomes the more it looks for an outlet for the expanding oil. If it is 98 degrees outside and you are riding 75-80 mph for an extended time so much oil is puked out the two rubber hoses that it can't all be drawn into the combustion chamber fast enough and some falls into the air cleaner where it drips down to the cam chest and is then blown to the exhaust pipes and saddlebags. It makes a hell of a mess that has to be cleaned up. This is not something that has just started. It has been happening for years and years. The only workable solution is to not put as much oil in the crankcase so it won't puke out the breather hoses when the engine gets hot. Another solution is to not ride over 50 mph when it really hot outside. Take your pick.

What with the new M8 engine, you would think the crack engineering team over at the MOCO would have redesigned something so that no longer happens. Didn't happen.

I will bet that the 2018 models will not be changed either. After all, they have been puking oil for at least ten years now and we keep on buying them, so why change? Come to think of it, we are not buying nearly as many as we did ten years ago according to the MOCO posted sales figures. Starting in 2007 model year sales of new Harleys have been on a steady slide downhill. Things like that may have something to do with the sales drop. Some people may have decided to try another brand for a change. I hear that Polaris is making a bike called "Indian" that some people are opting for instead of buying a new Harley. This must **** off the diehard fanboys to no end.

Old 08-09-2017, 06:47 PM
FurryOne
Road Master
Received 127 Likes on 98 Posts

I went for the digital dipstick, and cold it reads 1/2, hot it reads 3/4. That seems to do the trick for me. I still get some glop in my catch-can, but not much.

Quick Reply: oil in air cleaner on 2017 streetglide