Sponsored by:

S&S Mk45's

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2017, 05:49 PM
Steel Wheels
Road Master
Received 296 Likes on 167 Posts
Default S&S Mk45's

Who's running these? I've been researching the latest batch of 4 1/2" slip ons and these are hot contenders.

I've listened to a lot of different options between my dealer and a weekend spent hanging out at JP Cycles; unfortunately these must be relatively rare.

The tech's I've spoken with that have heard them are really impressed, and most are telling me they beat the Rineharts which, frankly, were my first choice.

Price is also a huge factor. Fuel Moto is pricing them at under $600 right now, so I'm tempted to jump.

All feedback is appreciated.

Old 08-08-2017, 09:06 PM
boshog
Stage IV
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have a set on my Stage III. Tech said my dyno pull was 1-2 HP higher than with the Harley slip one.

I'm running baffles in and love them. I have pulled the baffles and I think the catalytic converter kind of ruins the pop you'd expect from the high compression motor but anyways. Running stock head pipe it's a solid choice.

The following 2 users liked this post by boshog:
G'day (08-08-2018), Steel Wheels (08-09-2017)
Old 08-18-2017, 08:28 AM
PHX M8
Advanced
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default For a touring bike MK45 with stock pipes are great but

I think they are a bit powder puff for me, the only reason one would go that way is for warranty reasons. If you wanna sound like a bad *** you need to ditch the Cats

Old 08-18-2017, 09:43 AM
FunnelCake Combo
Tourer
Received 93 Likes on 58 Posts

I have considered running the Mk45's on my Bike.

I currently have Rinehart Slimline Duals and 4" Rinehart slip ons.. may sell the Rinehart 4's and go with the MK45's for a lower deeper tone.

Would want to confirm that I wouldn't make much of a change in torque set up from the 4" rineharts first

Old 08-18-2017, 11:43 AM
Firebolter
Tourer
Received 129 Likes on 84 Posts

I have them on mine, love them. What I really like is the coating on the black ones is not paint, it is a ceramic coating (JET-HOT), so they are very durable and easy to keep clean. They do break in and after ~2000 miles, they sound much deeper and a little louder. Nice bark when you whack it.

Old 08-18-2017, 11:54 AM
Buckle55
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have run them with cats and without (Jackpot 2/1/2) High flow intake Stage II torque cam.

With the cats they made good power but I was not happy with the sound at all. Way too quiet at idle and tone under acceleration with baffles removed was not rich/deep enough. Don't get me wrong it was a bit louder than factory under acceleration, but at idle you hardly know they are there. If that what you are looking for then bonus.

with the header the exhaust note at idle is deep but you can talk to a security gate guard no problem, and under hard throttle its a decent deep tone.

Personally I prefer something a little louder with less twist of the wrist, but for a touring bike these are a nice combo.

I have stretched bags coming next week, my main concern now is length, I don't like the look of an exhaust shorter than the bags and I fear that may be the issue. S&S said that they do not currently have extended tips and didn't say whether they would or not in the future. We will see if these last through the bag install.

Old 08-18-2017, 11:57 AM
JShep70
Advanced
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I like them, Mine did not have baffles originally. Without a cat the baffles are needed unless you want it to be annoyingly loud.

Old 08-19-2017, 05:19 AM
Badbagger09
Road Master
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

I put them on my SGS after much research. It is difficult to decide on a set of slip ons with just videos but it appears I made the right choice. My ride is stock and just wanted a little more rumble.

Last edited by Badbagger09; 08-19-2017 at 05:30 AM. Reason: Edited pics
Old 08-19-2017, 05:53 AM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 237 Posts

M8's have been hard to get "the sound" from as shown by the many posts for new take off after market cans for sale. I was at my local Harley dealer a few weeks ago and a group of riders came in from the Badger state. One had his new M8 with the S&S M45's and stock head pipe. These were the best mufflers I have heard on any M8.

Old 08-19-2017, 07:17 AM
Steel Wheels
Road Master
Received 296 Likes on 167 Posts

Had my slipons off last week to decat. Want to see how the Cannons sound ( not much change... ) .

Anyway, got a wild hair and decided to fire it off, and OMG. Potato potato and the tone was heavenly. Too bad we can't just run the headers...

Quick Reply: S&S Mk45's