Sponsored by:

Lowering an 2017 Ultra Limited

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2017, 09:06 AM
crazyviking
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Lowering an 2017 Ultra Limited

When I decided to move up to a Harley because my fiance wants to ride with me I tried on a Limited Low it fit great on the show room floor. Riding was a different story I felt like I was riding in a clown car. I am a short guy 29" inseam. So I got some thick soled Harley boots, and had the bike lowered 1". The problem is while I am flat footed my legs are fully extended. So moving it is pretty tough when I am on it.

My question is how much can I lower it before I start to compromise the ride? What are some of the hints other short people have?

Old 08-10-2017, 10:19 AM
Rob175
Road Warrior
Received 639 Likes on 390 Posts

Shop for a seat that's lower. Don't change the "geometry" of the cycle further than you have. Check out Mustang seats or demo some seats at your HD dealer.. Mustang has a narrow seat and they also have a lower seat. HD may also have something you may like. Either of which might solve your issue. BTW.....my legs are also stretched out but flat on the ground. In my case, I replaced my "low" seat that came on my "low" model with the standard Ultra Limited seat and it's perfect for me. I push back using the ***** of my feet but I also am always very aware of where I park and the grade of slope if any. No matter how tall a rider is, a 900 lb vehicle parked on a slope can be difficult to push back.

Old 08-10-2017, 10:39 AM
teedoff65
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,476 Likes on 1,062 Posts

Originally Posted by crazyviking
When I decided to move up to a Harley because my fiance wants to ride with me I tried on a Limited Low it fit great on the show room floor. Riding was a different story I felt like I was riding in a clown car. I am a short guy 29" inseam. So I got some thick soled Harley boots, and had the bike lowered 1". The problem is while I am flat footed my legs are fully extended. So moving it is pretty tough when I am on it.

My question is how much can I lower it before I start to compromise the ride? What are some of the hints other short people have?
Also, Mean City Cycles in Statesville NC will customize your current seat. They say they can lower you up to 3 inches and move you forward a couple inches as well.

Very good prices it seems. Much cheaper than a different seat or other lowering options.

Planning on doing mine this winter or early next year.

The following users liked this post:
crazyviking (08-10-2017)
Old 08-10-2017, 10:49 AM
2015UltraLimited
Tourer
Received 54 Likes on 47 Posts

I have a Limited Low and MCC did wonders on my seat. Lowered, narrowed and a lot more comfortable than stock reach seat.

The following users liked this post:
crazyviking (08-10-2017)
Old 08-10-2017, 11:19 AM
load97
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 112 Likes on 99 Posts

The best seat I found to use is a CVO seat. At 5'6" it works really well for me. Even my wife likes the passenger pad for the driving we do. I had a stock seat done up by Mean City Cycles, which the wife liked enough, but I never really cared for it. To stiff and it didn't feel like it formed to me.

Last edited by load97; 08-11-2017 at 04:32 PM.
Old 08-10-2017, 07:11 PM
AFSOC_Commando
Tourer
Received 134 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by crazyviking

I am confused, you did buy the low and want to lower that? Or did you buy the Limited and lower it 1" which is then a low without the same seat?

Any further lowering of a low is going to kill what ride you have, it only has 3 inches of travel and I have bottomed out a few times solo running hard. Unless you slide the forks down in the trees some but then you have the issue of the bike being unbalanced fore and aft. Also you will drag the boards even more.

I have the low and a 29" inseam, I don't really love the stock seat but I am afraid to change it and lose the ability to touch the ground almost flat footed. I can't stand Herman Munster boots to reach the ground.

Last edited by AFSOC_Commando; 08-11-2017 at 11:06 PM. Reason: Corrected my inseam so my balls don't drag.... LOL
Old 08-11-2017, 04:34 PM
load97
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 112 Likes on 99 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by AFSOC_Commando
I am confused, you did buy the low and want to lower that? Or did you buy the Limited and lower it 1" which is then a low without the same seat?

Any further lowering of a low is going to kill what ride you have, it only has 3 inches of travel and I have bottomed out a few times solo running hard. Unless you slide the forks down in the trees some but then you have the issue of the bike being unbalanced fore and aft. Also you will drag the boards even more.

I have the low and a 19" inseam, I don't really love the stock seat but I am afraid to change it and lose the ability to touch the ground almost flat footed. I can't stand Herman Munster boots to reach the ground.
A 19" inseam? Dude, what are you 4'7"?

Old 08-11-2017, 06:09 PM
Markymannn
Stellar HDF Member
Received 153 Likes on 103 Posts

Must be a lot of short people buying Ultra's

Old 08-11-2017, 06:37 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 237 Posts

19" inseam, I'd damn near be drag'n my tool box.

Old 08-11-2017, 07:56 PM
kickstartfan
Road Master
Received 284 Likes on 190 Posts

and I thought my 29 inch inseam was a problem.

For a serious answer, you can add an aftermarket reverse gear.

Baker and Yelvington are out there, and others. Too expensive for me.

Look for a reverse gear in a low something from Harley, maybe soon.

Quick Reply: Lowering an 2017 Ultra Limited