Sponsored by:

So what's coming up for 2019

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2017, 10:23 AM
QNman
Supporter
Received 3,706 Likes on 1,987 Posts

Originally Posted by DaddyKnuck
I predict that in 2019, the Harley haters will get the Yamaha, Honda or BMW of their dreams and un-*** this forum.
One can only hope...

Old 12-08-2017, 10:35 AM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,386 Likes on 4,005 Posts

I predict that in 2019, the Harley haters will get the Yamaha, Honda or BMW of their dreams and un-*** this forum.
No Harley hater here... I own 3 of them, love all 3 ...

I've been riding/owning ONLY HD since 1977....

But the sumping and trans-to-primary oil transfer issues, as well as the way the MoCo has handled (re: not handled) these issues is infuriating to say the least......

I want to upgrade my touring bike. I want a more power and also reliability. The M8 touring bikes DO NOT fit that profile.

While each brand has their issues, and BMW's are not trouble free, I have been looking into the new BMW K1600 Grand American...

No hating involved.... I've already had to replace the MoCo's early cam tensioner mistake on two bikes... I'm done fixing their mess-ups on MY dime...

The following users liked this post:
jd05flhtci (12-08-2017)
Old 12-08-2017, 10:43 AM
DaddyKnuck
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,658 Likes on 943 Posts

Originally Posted by hattitude

But the sumping and trans-to-primary oil transfer issues, as well as the way the MoCo has handled (re: not handled) these issues is infuriating to say the least......

I want to upgrade my touring bike. I want a more power and also reliability. The M8 touring bikes DO NOT fit that profile.

While each brand has their issues, and BMW's are not trouble free, I have been looking into the new BMW K1600 Grand American...

No hating involved.... I've already had to replace the MoCo's early cam tensioner mistake on two bikes... I'm done fixing their mess-ups on MY dime...
I wasn't particularly yanking on your chain. However, if you feel the shoe fits...

Enjoy your BMW. It is undoubtedly a well engineered machine, but hideous to behold.

The following users liked this post:
Prot (12-09-2017)
Old 12-08-2017, 10:55 AM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,386 Likes on 4,005 Posts

I wasn't particularly yanking on your chain. However, if you feel the shoe fits...

Enjoy your BMW. It is undoubtedly a well engineered machine, but hideous to behold.
Didn't consider it as a jab at me, just trying to point out their are reasons, other than being a hater, for looking elsewhere..

If they weren't so hideous, I'd probably already have one parked next to the Harleys...

I'm crunching the numbers, and may be able to get the performance I want, much cheaper than buying a new bike, by putting a FuelMoto Outlaw 126 in my current touring Harley....

Old 12-08-2017, 11:39 AM
QNman
Supporter
Received 3,706 Likes on 1,987 Posts

Originally Posted by hattitude

There's always a lightly used Rushmore twinkie as an option... Mine, at almost 15,000 miles, has been 100%. No leaks, burning, transfer, etc. I ride it and don't worry. I had a 2010 with the 103 - similar to your 2012. The 2016 is notably more comfortable and more powerful.

The following 2 users liked this post by QNman:
hattitude (12-09-2017), jd05flhtci (12-08-2017)
Old 12-08-2017, 03:57 PM
Corpse the One
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I woudln't be so sure of that actually, I heard recently that BMW had more issues than HD. Something like 6% or so. No idea if its just hear-say or not but something to consider. It might also just be confirmation bias or something else on my part. If i were pulling the trigger on a big touring bike or cruiser, BMW wouldn't be anywhere near that list. Though to be fair, yes Yamaha / Triumph are the ones I see competing the most thus far.

Old 12-08-2017, 04:29 PM
DaddyKnuck
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,658 Likes on 943 Posts

Originally Posted by Corpse the One
I woudln't be so sure of that actually, I heard recently that BMW had more issues than HD. Something like 6% or so. No idea if its just hear-say or not but something to consider. It might also just be confirmation bias or something else on my part. If i were pulling the trigger on a big touring bike or cruiser, BMW wouldn't be anywhere near that list. Though to be fair, yes Yamaha / Triumph are the ones I see competing the most thus far.
I'm not one for an internet argument, and if someone likes a BMW, Yamaha, Honda, Indian, etc. more power to them. The Germans are famous (infamous) for excellent engineering of some of man's most obscene creations.

As far as big touring bikes are concerned, that war is over. Harley won it a long time ago and the others are merely fighting for second place.

Honda is #2 in that game. They had a recall a few years ago affecting all of their GL18's. Looking at the total number sold gives you a good idea of just how insignificant they were compared to Harley touring bikes.

BMW will always have a small niche in the USA, and in 2 years you will be able to buy a left over 2018 Yamaha tourer for half price.

Old 12-08-2017, 05:02 PM
Redrodyankneck
Stellar HDF Member
Received 825 Likes on 493 Posts

Well said

Old 12-08-2017, 06:00 PM
Randol
Tourer
Received 127 Likes on 76 Posts

I don't hate any of them, that's my problem. I ride 'em all.

Old 12-08-2017, 06:31 PM
Quik
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,572 Likes on 1,524 Posts

Originally Posted by Randol
I don't hate any of them, that's my problem. I ride 'em all.
That's what I'm talking about, and that's not a problem in my book. I love my Harley SGS but I also love my BMW RT, if it's got 2 wheels and a motor I will ride it, I couldn't give a damn less what brand is on the tank.

Last edited by Quik; 12-08-2017 at 06:55 PM.

Quick Reply: So what's coming up for 2019