Sponsored by:

The warranty issue is real.

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2017, 02:52 PM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 216 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by purpledeuce
While it’s well within their rights to void a warranty, using tactics like this will just speed up their own demise. I don’t think the moco has much time left. Everything they’re doing seems to be going against what they built the company on - loyalty and a certain image.

It’s hard to act tough when your Harley sounds like a jetsons car. I think what we will soon see is the used market get wiped clean because not many will be willing to plunk down the money for new and be handcuffed to the screaming eagle products. Buy used and mod to your hearts content. New bike sales will suffer greatly, the ceo and other board members will destroy what’s left, get their golden parachutes and sell the name and brand to a competitor. This time however there will be no Willie G to come save them
That verbiage has been used in the owners manuals for years, it's nothing new. They've always had a,disclaimer to void the warranty by using aftermarket parts. They even used to void the warranty for using SE crossed flag parts. My point is simply that the consent decree does not define the warranty, its only a claise in it. Just because they say "using a non epa tuner will void the warranty" doesn't mean that HD has to cover any tuner that meets EPA regulations. Or compliant parts.

Old 10-16-2017, 02:57 PM
Fatboy Brian
Grand HDF Member
Received 464 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by purpledeuce
Can y’all imagine the **** storm that’s coming when someone unknowingly buys a used non compliant m8. I can’t imagine dealers are checking the vin ahead of time and if they do, I can’t see them disclosing it to the buyer.
I agree but they will just slide a extra sheet of paper over to you in the business office for your signature with a statement like "this is a statement about the remainder of the factory warranty". Most won't even realize they just bought a bike with a voided warranty.

Old 10-16-2017, 03:12 PM
jd05flhtci
Road Warrior
Received 311 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
so had an interesting conversation with our service manager this weekend..he said they aren't allowed to, and therefore won't, provide aftermarket tuner work on bikes unless they come in already having aftermarket tuners used on them and were already out of compliance..it's a HUGE penalty to the dealership for taking a bike in tuning compliance and altering it..and if caught, they could look further into the dealership's records and tack on addt'l fines for each violation discovered
This is nothing new since the m8 came out. Dealers here in Ohio been doing that 2 months after m8 came out.

Old 10-16-2017, 03:19 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,542 Likes on 4,431 Posts

Originally Posted by jd05flhtci
This is nothing new since the m8 came out. Dealers here in Ohio been doing that 2 months after m8 came out.
understood, it seemed cut and dried from the start but a year later conversations of a gray area continue..what a long strange trip it's been

Old 10-16-2017, 03:22 PM
jd05flhtci
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by mjwebb
understood, it seemed cut and dried from the start but a year later conversations of a gray area continue..what a long strange trip it's been
Yes it has been a long drawn out trip lol

Old 10-16-2017, 03:35 PM
jd05flhtci
Road Warrior

Whatever happen to the guy who came on here stating Harley had developed the m8 and been testing since 2005 and had more than a million miles on it ? Wonder if he still believes it with all the issues showing up with 15k miles or fewer? LOL

Old 10-16-2017, 04:28 PM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 216 Likes on 129 Posts

Outs also illegal for a dealership to remove any EPA part from a bike and replace it (even if the replacement part is compliant) BEFORE the owner takes possession of it. In other words, if you buy a new bike and have any stage modifications done to it at the time of purchase the dealer just broke a law. The bike (or any vehicle for that matter) musty be deliveted in the same state it was certified in.

Old 10-16-2017, 05:04 PM
purpledeuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 642 Likes on 377 Posts

Whatever happen to the guy who came on here stating Harley had developed the m8 and been testing since 2005 and had more than a million miles on it ? Wonder if he still believes it with all the issues showing up with 15k miles or fewer? LOL
I think there are a lot more good motors out there then there are bad ones. It’s no different than any other motor company. I’ve seen plenty of brand new vehicles in for major repairs. There are plenty of late model twin cams having major repairs done as well.

Old 10-16-2017, 06:10 PM
Aggie
Intermediate
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by harleytuner
It's also illegal for a dealership to remove any EPA part from a bike and replace it (even if the replacement part is compliant) BEFORE the owner takes possession of it. In other words, if you buy a new bike and have any stage modifications done to it at the time of purchase the dealer just broke a law. The bike (or any vehicle for that matter) musty be delivered in the same state it was certified in.
Unless you live in CA, and VC 27156(i) states Aftermarket and performance parts with valid State Air Resources Board Executive Orders may be sold and installed concurrent with a motorcycle’s transfer to an ultimate purchaser.

Old 10-16-2017, 06:14 PM
jd05flhtci
Road Warrior

[QUOTE=purpledeuce;16741315]I think there are a lot more good motors out there then there are bad ones. It’s no different than any other motor company. I’ve seen plenty of brand new vehicles in for major repairs. There are plenty of late model twin cams having major repairs done as well.[/QUO

I agree and not saying its a bad engine heck it takes Harley several years to work bugs out. Just the nature and history of the beast.

Quick Reply: The warranty issue is real.