Sponsored by:

The warranty issue is real.

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2017, 08:34 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,685 Posts

Originally Posted by Road Star
Do these warranty issues apply to 2015 and earlier bikes too?
No, just 2017 and newer. 2016 and older do not fall under the new EPA Consent Decree.

Old 09-03-2017, 08:34 PM
MiniWolf
Received 4,688 Likes on 2,258 Posts

Originally Posted by Zoom1077
Yes, I was told the same thing by a dealer. Don't bring it in if you have after- market slip on s Harley customer service verified this. Even pipes that have been approved by the epa are no go so can't blame the decision on that. Street cannons with tuner is the only option period. I understand Harley being worried about the epa but don't explain their refusal to approve compliant slip on s. I think that is part of the reason sales are soft with the 2017s. I made a decision to sell or store my RCXs. Just not worth losing a warranty. I'll live with stock but a lot of people want more.

If that was nit-picking enough, they are now required to take a photo of the bike and exhaust for powertrain warranty requests when they send it in. It better have SE written on it and have a rejet.

Old 09-03-2017, 08:36 PM
MiniWolf

Originally Posted by jd05flhtci
Dealers are getting popped by this very board. Guys coming on here and saying my dealer said this and that has the MOCO checking it out.
I wondered how my dealer got popped. He was tight-lipped about it but said there was an audit of some kind based on information and that's all he offered.

Old 09-03-2017, 09:01 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Originally Posted by MiniWolf
...They are now told explicitly they were to flag any bike whatsoever that comes in with a non-EPA complaint part that has not been tuned to HD compliant specs. Doesnt matter if it's a slip-on, exhaust, tuner, or who makes it. Your warranty is gone if you bring it in. Period. End of story.

You cant even put on the screaming eagle street cannon mufflers without the addition of the Pro Street Tuner and a rejet to bring it back to spec. Bring in the bike with street cannons and no re-tune, warranty is gone...
These statements contain contradictory information.

The Consent Decree says, as does your first paragraph above, that when you retune a bike you must use the Pro Street Tuner. That is NOT the same as saying you can't use aftermarket parts. You can. You must use the Pro Street tuner to retune the bike.

Which is exactly what you said in the second paragraph: You must use the Pro Street tuner, even if you use HD slipons. "Bring it back with street cannons and no retune, warranty is gone...".

...In addition, any part added to the powertrain or exhaust must be approved by HD engineers as EPA compliant or your warranty is gone. Which means for all intents and purposes any after-market will blow your warranty...
Ok, this is interesting, because this is NOT what the Consent Decree says. So, if this is what your dealer is telling you, then they're either lying to you to cover their own ***, which is certainly possible, or else the MoCo is really, really cracking down on dealerships that are trying to bend the rules.

Keep us up to date as you find out new news from your dealer. This really is interesting.

Old 09-03-2017, 09:24 PM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member
Received 911 Likes on 662 Posts

Originally Posted by MiniWolf:
"...In addition, any part added to the powertrain or exhaust must be approved by HD engineers as EPA compliant or your warranty is gone."

HD engineers do not determine EPA compliance, the EPA does. There is no additional determination required if "EPA compliance" is the issue. They can claim whatever they want, but they will not win in court and while none of us may want to spend the money to sue, HD lawyers know the class action sharks will eventually when enough gripes are filed. Not to mention the after market companies will rally. HD will not succeed at setting up a non-competition barrier to aftermarket companies by attempting to block EPA approved components. They have no say here.

Old 09-03-2017, 09:35 PM
talkingrock
Road Warrior
Received 421 Likes on 284 Posts

Either way i will wait until my warranty is gone and not take a chance

The following users liked this post:
Doc Intrepid (09-08-2017)
Old 09-03-2017, 09:42 PM
davewear
Road Warrior
Received 195 Likes on 134 Posts

Meh, like I've said before... do your first 1000 miles stock. Most manufacturing problems will show up within that time. After that enjoy your bike, screw the warranty police designated to force you into screaming chicken upgrades.

The following 2 users liked this post by davewear:
Harleylife1 (02-18-2020), saafrican (09-04-2017)
Old 09-03-2017, 09:43 PM
MiniWolf

Originally Posted by Thingfish
Originally Posted by MiniWolf:
"...In addition, any part added to the powertrain or exhaust must be approved by HD engineers as EPA compliant or your warranty is gone."

HD engineers do not determine EPA compliance, the EPA does. There is no additional determination required if "EPA compliance" is the issue. They can claim whatever they want, but they will not win in court and while none of us may want to spend the money to sue, HD lawyers know the class action sharks will eventually when enough gripes are filed. Not to mention the after market companies will rally. HD will not succeed at setting up a non-competition barrier to aftermarket companies by attempting to block EPA approved components. They have no say here.
Just going by what I was told. 'Only parts approved as EPA compliant by HD Engineering are approved for use. If you bring in your bike with a non-approved part, our hands are tied by the new corporate policy regarding warranty work and your warranty will be void. '. Whether people accept this as valid is up to the individual. I can only go by my own gut feeling and that is HD is going to throw consumers under the bus to show the EPA they are serous. Thats the vibe I am getting from all of this. Others will read it different.

Thingfish (09-04-2017)
Old 09-03-2017, 10:07 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Just going by what I was told. 'Only parts approved as EPA compliant by HD Engineering are approved for use. If you bring in your bike with a non-approved part, our hands are tied by the new corporate policy regarding warranty work and your warranty will be void. '...
Well, that's not what the Consent Decree said. On the other hand, the Motor Company is absolutely within their rights to do whatever the hell they want that is MORE restrictive than the requirements of the Consent Decree.

...I can only go by my own gut feeling and that is HD is going to throw consumers under the bus to show the EPA they are serous. Thats the vibe I am getting from all of this. Others will read it different.
Bingo! I'm with you 100% on that one.

I think a shitload of dealers decided they were going to do whatever they wanted, ignoring the fact that the EPA has the right to audit all of the warranty claim records, and Harley got scared and decided to crack down on the dealers.

jd05flhtci (09-04-2017)
Old 09-03-2017, 10:10 PM
TomcatCV62
Road Warrior
Received 237 Likes on 189 Posts

Why is it that I wish, sometimes, I had kept my 2010......WTF HD?

Quick Reply: The warranty issue is real.