Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The warranty issue is real.

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2017, 07:33 PM
MiniWolf
Received 4,688 Likes on 2,258 Posts
Default The warranty issue is real.

I have seen threads on the warranty issue with the new bikes but thought most of it was over-reaction or people outright exaggerating.

Prior to purchasing my 2017 Road King a month ago, both the dealer I purchased from and my local dealer service Dept. told me slip-ons would not void your warranty. That changed . After asking my local service coordinator who is also my brother-in-law if I should swap out the S&S MK45 for stock before bringing in my bike for the 1,000 mile service, he said it won't be a problem. That suddenly changed and he called me last Friday to tell me to not bring in my bike this week for apt. with the S&S and swap them out for stock. The district manager has been around raising hell about the issue of some dealers telling customers it wont be an issue and they wont flag a bike. How it came about I don't know but dealers are getting popped. They are now told explicitly they were to flag any bike whatsoever that comes in with a non-EPA complaint part that has not been tuned to HD compliant specs. Doesnt matter if it's a slip-on, exhaust, tuner, or who makes it. Your warranty is gone if you bring it in. Period. End of story.

You cant even put on the screaming eagle street cannon mufflers without the addition of the Pro Street Tuner and a rejet to bring it back to spec. Bring in the bike with street cannons and no re-tune, warranty is gone. In addition, any part added to the powertrain or exhaust must be approved by HD engineers as EPA compliant or your warranty is gone. Which means for all intents and purposes any after-market will blow your warranty.

Don't mean to be alarmist but I am pretty surprised. You might want to double or triple-check with your dealer if you plan on service. HD compliance dept or whatever are going after dealers.

The following 4 users liked this post by MiniWolf:
EdsRoadGlide2017 (09-09-2017), mhern08 (11-05-2017), SpringerRider (09-21-2017), sumncguy (09-05-2017)
Old 09-03-2017, 07:55 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,504 Likes on 4,415 Posts

"You cant even put on the screaming eagle street cannon mufflers without the addition of the Pro Street Tuner"

no surprise, they do state "ECM Recalibration is Required" for their SE Stage Kit / performance parts

Old 09-03-2017, 08:01 PM
sn95bullitt
Road Master
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Fake news. S&S slip ons are 50 state epa legal.

The following 3 users liked this post by sn95bullitt:
INJEKTER (09-08-2017), mndelrosario (10-12-2017), Peace Frog (06-26-2020)
Old 09-03-2017, 08:02 PM
MiniWolf

Originally Posted by mjwebb
"You cant even put on the screaming eagle street cannon mufflers without the addition of the Pro Street Tuner"

no surprise, they do state "ECM Recalibration is Required" for their SE Stage Kit / performance parts
It always did though. Same for after-market. The difference now is HD got corner by the EPA. Apparently HD now has some kind of compliance dept and district managers are being tasked with setting dealers straight. He wouldn't give me specifics on how they got in trouble but said corporate isn't playing games. I think this is HD's attempt to show the EPA they are taking it pretty serious. It also doesnt hurt you now are pigeon-holed into buying all their stuff if you just want slip-ons and better sound.

Old 09-03-2017, 08:04 PM
MiniWolf

Originally Posted by sn95bullitt
Fake news. S&S slip ons are 50 state epa legal.
Doesn't matter. I even brought it up, talked about the certificate that comes with the mufflers. I was told explicitly, it is meaningless as the new policy is the part has to be approved by HD engineers as being EPA compliant. As of today, the ONLY muffler approced is the street canon with a rejet.

Old 09-03-2017, 08:07 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by MiniWolf
It always did though. Same for after-market. The difference now is HD got corner by the EPA. Apparently HD now has some kind of compliance dept and district managers are being tasked with setting dealers straight. He wouldn't give me specifics on how they got in trouble but said corporate isn't playing games. I think this is HD's attempt to show the EPA they are taking it pretty serious. It also doesnt hurt you now are pigeon-holed into buying all their stuff if you just want slip-ons and better sound.
No it didn't..2017 is the first year SE Slip Ons have ever stated ECM Required..I know from first hand personal experience over many years and many bikes using them

Old 09-03-2017, 08:08 PM
SWThomas
Stellar HDF Member
Received 993 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by MiniWolf
Doesn't matter. I even brought it up, talked about the certificate that comes with the mufflers. I was told explicitly, it is meaningless as the new policy is the part has to be approved by HD engineers as being EPA compliant. As of today, the ONLY muffler approced is the street canon with a rejet.
Someone is feeding you pure bullshit. There's no way that's MoCo policy. There are enormous legal issues with a statement like that.

The following 4 users liked this post by SWThomas:
dlesh0001 (09-17-2017), drcollie (09-03-2017), JHL-ShinySideUp (09-16-2017), mndelrosario (10-12-2017)
Old 09-03-2017, 08:10 PM
Road Star
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 412 Likes on 250 Posts

Do these warranty issues apply to 2015 and earlier bikes too?

Old 09-03-2017, 08:10 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,361 Likes on 2,616 Posts

I dont doubt that they are giving you **** about this, but if they try to say, for example, they wont cover a bad wheel bearing, or a burnt out LED because I have slip ons, they will lose in court.

The following 3 users liked this post by Keithhu:
dlesh0001 (09-17-2017), JHL-ShinySideUp (09-16-2017), NSR (10-05-2017)
Old 09-03-2017, 08:12 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member

we've discussed this here ad naseum, but I think the mufflers being stamped is significant, instead of a piece of paper certification/documentation..but I have no first hand experience with being non compliant resulting in warranty loss or EPA emission or noise pollution violations

Quick Reply: The warranty issue is real.