Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stage 1 map. Is it already in bikes that come with Ventilator air cleaner?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2017, 08:34 AM
martin10
Road Warrior
Received 504 Likes on 327 Posts
Default Stage 1 map. Is it already in bikes that come with Ventilator air cleaner?

Since HD says you have to remap the ECM in order to use any of the SE air cleaners. If the bike comes with a ventilator air cleaner is it safe to assume it already has the Stage 1 mapping?

Old 09-05-2017, 08:39 AM
teedoff65
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,470 Likes on 1,060 Posts

I would think so. When I put the heavy breather on mine, it didn't run good at all until I installed the new map.

But you could ask your dealer to confirm.

Old 09-05-2017, 09:23 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,504 Likes on 4,415 Posts

I would cross reference the OEM and SE part numbers, appears to me the OEM is a paper filter that comes on the OEM Ventilator, rather than the older synthetic media filter which flowed more. And the new SE Ventilators use K&N, which flow more air than the OEM paper as well. maybe the breather tubes are different too..?? just a thought, maybe someone here can post a pic of the OEM Ventilator off the bike and compare to the SE one in the Online Store..?? just a thought

Old 09-05-2017, 09:37 AM
dixonk
Extreme HDF Member

Received 7,508 Likes on 3,579 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
I would cross reference the OEM and SE part numbers, appears to me the OEM is a paper filter that comes on the OEM Ventilator, rather than the older synthetic media filter which flowed more. And the new SE Ventilators use K&N, which flow more air than the OEM paper as well. maybe the breather tubes are different too..?? just a thought, maybe someone here can post a pic of the OEM Ventilator off the bike and compare to the SE one in the Online Store..?? just a thought
The difference is the filter. My CVO came with a ventilator with a paper filter. It did not have a stage 1 tune from the factory.

Old 09-05-2017, 10:10 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Default Right Chief, just as I suspected!

Originally Posted by dixonk
The difference is the filter. My CVO came with a ventilator with a paper filter. It did not have a stage 1 tune from the factory.
Right Chief, just as I suspected!

Attached Thumbnails Stage 1 map. Is it already in bikes that come with Ventilator air cleaner?-get-smart-navy-pinstripe-three-piece-suit-4.jpg  
Old 09-05-2017, 10:24 AM
mchertel
Tourer
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

If the one is my CVO is paper it is different than most paper ones I have seen. It is a white'ish color but looks and feels more like a fiberglass or something.

Old 09-05-2017, 10:36 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by mchertel
If the one is my CVO is paper it is different than most paper ones I have seen. It is a white'ish color but looks and feels more like a fiberglass or something.
when you look at the Online Store under Screaming Eagle Performance for all 2017 and 2018 M8's, all they show are the Air Cleaner kits with K&N filters, no longer the synthetic media non oiled filter elements...it's quite possible, and it should be that, the synthetic media filter should come on the CVO's as it has in the past..if it's paper then that would just be wrong...but the fact they don't show the syn media element as available anymore for M8's is what's causing confusion..and it's also quite likely that the OEM Ventilators that come on the new non CVO bikes are paper..go figure...all i can say is Vurt Da Furk..somebody would have to do a deep dive research into part numbers for comparison to get to the truth I suspect

The following users liked this post:
prowler58 (09-05-2017)
Old 09-05-2017, 10:48 AM
mchertel
Tourer
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
when you look at the Online Store under Screaming Eagle Performance for all 2017 and 2018 M8's, all they show are the Air Cleaner kits with K&N filters, no longer the synthetic media non oiled filter elements...it's quite possible, and it should be that, the synthetic media filter should come on the CVO's as it has in the past..if it's paper then that would just be wrong...but the fact they don't show the syn media element as available anymore for M8's is what's causing confusion..and it's also quite likely that the OEM Ventilators that come on the new non CVO bikes are paper..go figure...all i can say is Vurt Da Furk..somebody would have to do a deep dive research into part numbers for comparison to get to the truth I suspect
Thanks and that makes sense but does raise a question. If I were to go with the K&N filter instead of the HD Synthetic on the M8 114 CVO would that require a new map? Wouldn't think there would be that much difference in airflow but.....and would it void the warranty to go with one that you clean and recharge? lol

Old 09-05-2017, 10:56 AM
dixonk
Extreme HDF Member

Received 7,508 Likes on 3,579 Posts

Originally Posted by mchertel
Thanks and that makes sense but does raise a question. If I were to go with the K&N filter instead of the HD Synthetic on the M8 114 CVO would that require a new map? Wouldn't think there would be that much difference in airflow but.....and would it void the warranty to go with one that you clean and recharge? lol
Pretty sure air filters are in the same class as oil filters and any other consumable and serviceable part in that H-D cannot dent warranty for using an aftermarket filter. I changed my stock paper filter out for the KN when I put on my slipons and flashed the stage 1 tune.

Old 09-05-2017, 11:03 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member

yeah, there wouldn't be a need to make changes in that granular of detail between the K&N and Syn Media..pretty big differences in air flow between dirty and fresh ones to illustrate the notion

Quick Reply: Stage 1 map. Is it already in bikes that come with Ventilator air cleaner?