Sponsored by:

M8 Break In

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2018, 12:02 PM
FatBob2018
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,229 Likes on 1,268 Posts

Originally Posted by ekb55
I often wonder why after spending countless hours and probably millions in research and development, Harley recommends terrible oil and the improper way to break the new engine in? I guess its that they just want to ensure that they go out of business. Makes sense to me!
Seriously! It's like "Harley engineers are idiots, their manufacturing is terrible, their quality control is hideous, their technicians are incompetent, their engines self-destruct, but hey everyone, I just spent $25,000 on a new Harley"... it sounds like that Woody Allen bit with the two fat women:
Woman 1: These french fries are terrible.
Woman 2: And in such small portions, too!

The following 2 users liked this post by FatBob2018:
Firenailer (05-27-2018), Tony P (05-08-2018)
Old 05-08-2018, 08:19 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,544 Likes on 4,431 Posts

Originally Posted by FatBob2018
Seriously! It's like "Harley engineers are idiots, their manufacturing is terrible, their quality control is hideous, their technicians are incompetent, their engines self-destruct, but hey everyone, I just spent $25,000 on a new Harley"... it sounds like that Woody Allen bit with the two fat women:
Woman 1: These french fries are terrible.
Woman 2: And in such small portions, too!

Old 05-08-2018, 08:34 PM
Timberwolf2017
Road Captain
Received 251 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by ekb55
I often wonder why after spending countless hours and probably millions in research and development, Harley recommends terrible oil and the improper way to break the new engine in? I guess its that they just want to ensure that they go out of business. Makes sense to me!
Really..... I suppose you are an expert on oil and mechanical engineering too. HD has been in business longer than you have been alive, that says something about HD and you.........

The following users liked this post:
mjwebb (05-08-2018)
Old 05-27-2018, 07:14 AM
UglyViking
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quick question here. I've broken in a few engines but this is my first Harley so I'm unsure of the exacts. I heard from the dealer I don't want to go past 3500 rpm during break in (fine) and that it's good to spend most time on back roads for shifting up/down (sure) but also stated "don't lug it". I'm also reading that here, frankly I was so excited to get on the bike I didn't think to ask any specifics.

I'm going to assume that a Harley is the same general principle in which you don't want to get that "chug chug chug" in a gear but is there a specific RPM I should be looking to keep it over or is it simply to avoid lugging as much as possible?

Thanks!

Old 05-27-2018, 07:21 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by UglyViking
Quick question here. I've broken in a few engines but this is my first Harley so I'm unsure of the exacts. I heard from the dealer I don't want to go past 3500 rpm during break in (fine) and that it's good to spend most time on back roads for shifting up/down (sure) but also stated "don't lug it". I'm also reading that here, frankly I was so excited to get on the bike I didn't think to ask any specifics.

I'm going to assume that a Harley is the same general principle in which you don't want to get that "chug chug chug" in a gear but is there a specific RPM I should be looking to keep it over or is it simply to avoid lugging as much as possible?

Thanks!
congrats on your new bike! your owners manual has proper break in instructions....re" "is it simply to avoid lugging as much as possible?"...I'd say don't lug the engine at all, by definition lugging is not good for them

Firenailer (05-27-2018)
Old 05-27-2018, 07:31 AM
Firenailer
Road Master
Received 133 Likes on 95 Posts

Like Webb said - congrats on the new bike! Just follow the break in procedure as written in the manual and enjoy your new motorcycle!

Old 05-27-2018, 07:44 AM
UglyViking
6th Gear

Originally Posted by mjwebb
congrats on your new bike! your owners manual has proper break in instructions....re" "is it simply to avoid lugging as much as possible?"...I'd say don't lug the engine at all, by definition lugging is not good for them
Yeah, I read that but wasn't clear on the lugging and the owners manual didn't clarify. Hence why I asked the pros here. Assuming from your response my definition of lug is accurate enough and I don't need to be concerned about a specific rpm. Just wanting to make sure I break in my new baby right.

Old 05-27-2018, 07:46 AM
sectime
Tourer
Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

Thanks!
Also congrats on the new bike, break in procedure in the manual is as much about breaking you into the motorcycle as it is breaking in the mechanical stuff. It’s best to get the first 100 miles done in one or two rides, by the book. What you don’t want to do is hot soaks, park for short amount of time then ride again with hot engine. Ride then park it overnight and repeat first 200 then ride. Hard deceleration is as important as acceleration for seating rings.
Lugging like nails on a chalkboard is berry berry bad on my heritage 18 is too low , over 2K is best.

Last edited by sectime; 05-27-2018 at 07:55 AM.
UglyViking (05-27-2018)
Old 05-27-2018, 07:55 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member

Yeah, I read that but wasn't clear on the lugging and the owners manual didn't clarify. Hence why I asked the pros here. Assuming from your response my definition of lug is accurate enough and I don't need to be concerned about a specific rpm. Just wanting to make sure I break in my new baby right.
I stretch the upper limit to 4000 max for very brief bursts a few times after the first 100 miles or so to get the top end 'some action' for the rings to seat properly
  1. Up to 800 km (500 mi), vary the engine speed and avoid operating at any steady engine speed for long periods. Engine speed up to 3500 rpm in any gear is permissible.
  2. Avoid lugging the engine by not running the engine at low speeds in higher gears.

UglyViking (05-27-2018)
Old 05-27-2018, 08:06 AM
UglyViking
6th Gear

Thanks guys!

Quick Reply: M8 Break In