Sponsored by:

Stage 3 worth it?

Old 11-22-2018, 06:42 AM
Peter Quinn
Road Captain
Received 158 Likes on 119 Posts
Default S/E Stage 111

Originally Posted by abadley
So what is the benefit of going to Stage III over Stage II besides bumping up cubic inches?
Stage 111 brings a whole new dimension to the M8. 114 Cu in. 11.1 compression. High lift cam and valve springs.Combined with a tuner it returns more output increase per Dollar than the others.Based on reports there are less issues than the Stage 1V. Been running mine 18 months,still dont think I would change a thing!

The following users liked this post:
madmat (11-22-2018)
Old 11-22-2018, 02:41 PM
FatBob2018
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,217 Likes on 1,263 Posts

Depends on your engine starting size; for the 114 Softail, Harley's charts show practically no gain for the Stage III, as opposed to the Stage II with the HP cam.

But if you're starting from the 107, Stage III is a big boost over the Stage II. I think the 107 to Stage III is the best upgrade path among Harley's Stage kits, but the 114 to Stage III seems a bit of a waste as compared to just going to II.

Old 03-20-2019, 08:16 AM
Hagg22
Cruiser
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Love the thread guys. Thinking hard about stage 3 for my ‘17 RKS. My big concern is the exhaust. I’ve got Kerker Stouts on factory headers. I’m really trying to decide if I should change headers - lots of claims out there. I want the bike to be a bit louder and my dealer said they could actually cut out my cats and weld ss pipe in place...! It’d cost me though but zero concern about warranty - and anyway it’s a ‘17 so my two years are just about up.

You guys got any any thoughts about this? Headers make a diff? I’m not interested in 2-1 because I don’t want to have to mod saddle bags, but there are other options for 2-1-2 from after marketers but I haven’t seen much in the way of increased performance.

And favorite blowers? Thanks guys.

Old 03-20-2019, 09:09 AM
TDH
Stage II
Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

I did a Stage 3 on a 107 2018 Breakout. I think you will get the results you are looking for. The upgrade raises the compression which makes each combustion hit harder. You feel it and you hear it. Definite increase in the sound. I have Street Cannon slipons and was not happy with the sound. After the upgrade it is much better. I would like a little louder, but I have neighbors and don't want to **** them off in the mornings when I leave early. The HD tune for the Stage 3 is OK, no ridability problems at all, great power. It may be running a little rich, but not excessively so.
BTW: You can always have the dealer mod the exhaust later if you are not happy with the results. Just make sure that you get a good dyno tune so you don't have problems with fuel mixture and timing. It is easy to destroy an engine if the bike isn't setup right.

Old 03-20-2019, 09:09 AM
NCmtnsrider
Advanced
Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

I just had the Stage 3 done where I bought the bike and I should have done it earlier for sure. I'm running the fullsac mx pipe with S&S MK 45's and had them dyno tune it after the install. Best bang for the buck and it really woke the motor up and it's a blast to ride in the mtns and the twisties. Just doing an external breather setup and that will be it for the engine upgrades. Took a ride on the CVO 117 but I'm glad I did the stage 3. I was originally going to do just the stage 2 cam upgrade but for the overall gains across the entire powerband I'm happy. The money spent was definitely much lower than going to a 2019 Road Glide Special and my dealer gave me a deal I couldn't pass up. Bike will be out of warranty in June and I'm very happy with how the whole project turned out. It's not Jaw dropping numbers but still alot of fun and I've enjoyed a couple short rides since the upgrade but Mother Nature looks to be cooperating here shortly in the NC Mtns.

Old 10-21-2019, 10:07 AM
Jimmy Jam
Intermediate
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SeanG
Where did you get $1500 bucks from? My stage 3 cost several thousand and yes it was worth it to me.
Catalog price for the kit most likely, out the door it's more like $4,500 unless you've blown a head gasket under warranty, then you might get lucky and get it all done for about $1,100...(wink wink)

Old 10-21-2019, 10:13 AM
Jimmy Jam
Intermediate
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by abadley
So what is the benefit of going to Stage III over Stage II besides bumping up cubic inches?
First off, there's NO replacement for DISplacement...secondly, the se498 cams make this thing a real torque monster on the street. I've ridden a stage 4 with the se515 cam profile, and i have stage 3 in my bike. Having the big ol' flat spot in the torque curve on the stage 4 right through the RPM range where I want to be accelerating at is a no-go for me. I don't need a few more lb/ft at 6k RPM's, I'd rather have my power band start at 2,700 and climbing.

The following 3 users liked this post by Jimmy Jam:
madmat (10-21-2019), Old Iron Man (02-15-2021), Xcrossbow (10-21-2019)
Old 11-08-2019, 09:16 PM
twig
Tourer
Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

My bike is at the dealer right now because of engine noises, a tear down resulted in the Pistons jugs and heads being replaced, I'm going with the stage 111 just need to sort out what I'm going to be paying for since the whole top end is being replaced under warranty.

Old 11-08-2019, 11:50 PM
edmroadglide
Cruiser
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by twig
My bike is at the dealer right now because of engine noises, a tear down resulted in the Pistons jugs and heads being replaced, I'm going with the stage 111 just need to sort out what I'm going to be paying for since the whole top end is being replaced under warranty.

Have the same kind of issues, decent tapping on the top end, likely "they all sound like that" but i am thinkin have them take it apart and have a look and hope there is something wrong and get a break on the stage 3. I did the stage 2 and its fine but i should have saved the 1k and gone straight to the stage 3. I have the cannons, no cat and PV on the bike so warranty pretty hopped for power train anyways so we will see, its winter here in Canada and over those months dealership can be very negotiable to keep their mechanics workin.

Old 11-09-2019, 05:55 AM
NorthWestern
Club Member
Received 5,508 Likes on 3,019 Posts

Originally Posted by edmroadglide
Have the same kind of issues, decent tapping on the top end, likely "they all sound like that" but i am thinkin have them take it apart and have a look and hope there is something wrong and get a break on the stage 3. I did the stage 2 and its fine but i should have saved the 1k and gone straight to the stage 3. I have the cannons, no cat and PV on the bike so warranty pretty hopped for power train anyways so we will see, its winter here in Canada and over those months dealership can be very negotiable to keep their mechanics workin.
You have a PowerVision tuner, and you are hoping that they will warranty the top end repairs? Damn, I want to hear about this. The PowerVision was the line in the sand for my warranty coverage, through my dealer. Keep us posted on this.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Stage 3 worth it?