Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

with all this muffler talk, why doesn't HD just......

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2017, 10:15 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,505 Likes on 4,415 Posts
Default with all this muffler talk, why doesn't HD just......

get back in bed with some of the aftermarket exhaust companies, like they have with SuperTrapp in the past..and offer a variety of different slip-ons that are EPA and warranty compliant..just offering Street Canons to me seems limiting potential revenue..wouldn't they both make more money while giving consumers some alternative choices?

The following 2 users liked this post by mjwebb:
ocezam (09-13-2017), Roadster (09-13-2017)
Old 09-13-2017, 10:35 AM
paullavery
Road Master
Received 111 Likes on 79 Posts

That would be too easy for them. Great idea though.

Old 09-13-2017, 11:40 AM
MiniWolf
Received 4,688 Likes on 2,258 Posts

What would the alternative choices be? They are limited in what they can sell. They are adhering to EPA limits and rules regarding not only emissions but also related to noise compliance. If you want an aggressive exhaust, youre not going to get that from HD.

Old 09-13-2017, 11:47 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by MiniWolf
What would the alternative choices be? They are limited in what they can sell. They are adhering to EPA limits and rules regarding not only emissions but also related to noise compliance. If you want an aggressive exhaust, youre not going to get that from HD.
was just thinking if they partnered with say Supertrapp, V&H, whoever..they could come up with a few different sounds, that were EPA 'stamped'..since HD was able to reduce the engine noise they are allowed a little more room to increase the db's..I'm sure all those subject matter experts could design, test and produce some acceptable alternatives to the Street Canons..I mean, after all, these aftermarket exhaust manufacturers are claiming EPA compliance and offering certification anyway, just not able to get the 'stamp' of approval, which they could by partnering with HD and the EPA..I don't know, just thinking out loud, maybe there's just too many elements in play that prohibit this all from being feasible

The following users liked this post:
ocezam (09-13-2017)
Old 09-13-2017, 11:50 AM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,405 Likes on 1,593 Posts

I think it boils down to who pays for the testing. Like what was mentioned in another thread the aftermarket is self certifying some exhausts but in order for HD to certify another supplier the entire bike would have to be tested again. I am not sure what that costs them but for companies I have and do work for regulatory compliance testing of a product can be anywhere between $20-100K. Harley certified the package (and kits) as a whole but they would have to have an amendment of compliance with different manufacturers in all configurations of the bike (107/114/117, stage 1/2/3/4). Why would they do that when they can make money off the end consumer by forcing them to buy HD parts?

The following users liked this post:
mjwebb (09-13-2017)
Old 09-13-2017, 11:55 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by todd-67
I think it boils down to who pays for the testing. Like what was mentioned in another thread the aftermarket is self certifying some exhausts but in order for HD to certify another supplier the entire bike would have to be tested again. I am not sure what that costs them but for companies I have and do work for regulatory compliance testing of a product can be anywhere between $20-100K. Harley certified the package (and kits) as a whole but they would have to have an amendment of compliance with different manufacturers in all configurations of the bike (107/114/117, stage 1/2/3/4). Why would they do that when they can make money off the end consumer by forcing them to buy HD parts?
good points..just pre M8 there were several SE muffler choices per model..it's now very limited, to a single choice in some cases which was my main observation/point

Old 09-13-2017, 12:15 PM
Oldskewl
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,906 Likes on 3,285 Posts

Haley is moving away from the one thing that's made us all happy, the aftermarket. Companies like FM and the rest will flourish once we get over the warranty worries.

Harley's made a great engine over the years, S&S has made a better one.
Check this new motor by S&S to compete with V&H in pro stock. Give it two more seasons and these guys might be competitive but it's one nasty looking beast. 350 hp.
http://www.cycleworld.com/inside-ss-...-racing-engine

Old 09-13-2017, 12:43 PM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by mjwebb
good points..just pre M8 there were several SE muffler choices per model..it's now very limited, to a single choice in some cases which was my main observation/point
I agree the aftermarket and harley have enjoyed a long relationship that had been profitable for all but as others had mentioned this is sort of a win/win for HD. They can force you into buying their stuff with the threat of voiding the entire power train warranty at the same time they can blame the government.

The dealerships know the game and they will play it with the MoCo when they can. It's just they can't with the damn tuner/ecm.

Old 09-13-2017, 12:48 PM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Oldskewl
Haley is moving away from the one thing that's made us all happy, the aftermarket. Companies like FM and the rest will flourish once we get over the warranty worries.
They will and after 2020 when this thing expires things should relax quite a bit. I doubt it will with the tuner though. It's just too easy for them to check it from corporate by plugging the bike in.

The aftermarket take on this is a little interesting because V&H and some others have made mufflers for them in the past. HD more than likely doesn't waste time on developing mufflers any more than they do forks, shocks, ignitions.... etc.. so someone is making them for them. You got to wonder what those relationships are like now.

Old 09-13-2017, 12:49 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by todd-67
this is sort of a win/win for HD. They can force you into buying their stuff with the threat of voiding the entire power train warranty at the same time they can blame the government.
maybe in the short term..ESP and Screaming Eagle revenue may decline and folks might let INDY's work on their issues after they say screw the proprietary stranglehold attempt..it may come back to bite HD in the long run financially....maybe as us older generation HD owners die off and the new generation steps up HD will prosper..but only time will tell but clearly the changes are blown' in the wind and it ain't exhaust fumes!

Quick Reply: with all this muffler talk, why doesn't HD just......