Sponsored by:

Oil Leak, again...

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2017, 09:49 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,720 Likes on 1,546 Posts

Originally Posted by TomcatCV62
Wow......I've never checked mine but I never see any oil where it's not supposed to be......
Probably because yours is being sucked down into the intake like it should.

Old 09-14-2017, 10:34 AM
stixvrad
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,076 Likes on 3,319 Posts

Originally Posted by TomcatCV62
Wow......I've never checked mine but I never see any oil where it's not supposed to be......
If things are working as planned, your motor keeps ingesting the vapor that comes out that formed hose aimed directly into the throttle body. What they really should have done IMO, is to put a spigot behind the throttle plate to connect the hose to. Instead of hanging it in front of it in the atmosphere like it is.Then you wouldn't get oily residue on the throttle plate or have any issues with liquid dripping into the air box.

Old 09-14-2017, 11:06 AM
bob2002
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by lp
Point is, throughout the year your opinion evolved. You started out touting to keep it completely stock - bike needs nothing, M8 is the bestest ever.
Later, stage 1 was worth it, but not a dyno, no... that would be a waste of money - HD got it right with this canned map.
Later you dyno'd and suddenly the dyno was worth it... (and it was)

It's no big deal, people do that all the time when they get some seat time and want more. My point is, the vent blowby deal is like that.
If you don't have blowby/venting presently, the mod may not be worth it. However, time may go by and it suddenly becomes warranted because you're getting blowby due to worn components etc.
Some people's bikes have massive blowby right out of the box for whatever reason - for them the mod is worth it.

Just saying, try to keep an open mind is all. Just because something is not happening to you doesn't mean it's not happening to others. Example: look at the trans/oil transfer thread.

100 million thousand miles, the most tested Harley engine ever. Nothing could ever go wrong. I remember someone falling for that.

I know you've seen this before, but this used to be all over my air cleaner and down the side of my bike. Not anymore!

Is that your creation or did you buy that?

Old 09-18-2017, 07:59 AM
fordhd2005
Road Master
Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Update: Picked my bike up Friday and rode about 450 miles Saturday. It didn't leak anymore. I opened the air box and there was some oil residue under the front breather bolt but I can't confirm if it was new or residual. I removed the entire box to check the inner side of it and it was clean. I did notice they replaced the breather tubes and put thread sealant on the breather bolts. Also, when I took it in, the oil level was at the very bottom dot and it was still there when I checked it when I got it home. I added a little and brought it up to about the 3rd or 4th dot and after the 450 miles it was still there. It was filled to the halfway point before the previous trip when it started leaking. I have just over 3k miles on it now. So either I chalk this up to a fluke or maybe it's thoroughly broken in now... Either way, I hope it's done leaking.

Old 09-18-2017, 08:32 AM
stixvrad
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by fordhd2005
Update: Picked my bike up Friday and rode about 450 miles Saturday. It didn't leak anymore. I opened the air box and there was some oil residue under the front breather bolt but I can't confirm if it was new or residual. I removed the entire box to check the inner side of it and it was clean. I did notice they replaced the breather tubes and put thread sealant on the breather bolts. Also, when I took it in, the oil level was at the very bottom dot and it was still there when I checked it when I got it home. I added a little and brought it up to about the 3rd or 4th dot and after the 450 miles it was still there. It was filled to the halfway point before the previous trip when it started leaking. I have just over 3k miles on it now. So either I chalk this up to a fluke or maybe it's thoroughly broken in now... Either way, I hope it's done leaking.

That's good news.. One thing that's not been mentioned is water vapor also coming out of the breather. Whatever moisture is in the oil, vaporizes when it gets hot enough. My catch can now only shows a very slight amount of oil/water mix. Not even a teaspoon after 500 miles.

Old 09-19-2017, 07:26 AM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 265 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by stixvrad
Catch container inside the air filter housing. 6.4 oz plastic oil container and some hose.Works great. No fasteners needed, plenty of room to hold oil. It fits snugly in there. Had it on for 500 miles and no issues. Poke holes in the red cap as a vent.Make sure the hose going in is at least an inch off the flow of the bottle so oil build up doesnt block the end of the tube going in.
Hey, H-D's have blown oil out of the air filter ever since they started routing the crankcase vent to it back in the late 70's. Why should the MoCo trouble itself with doing anything about it now?

The fix back then was to put a certain "feminine hygiene product" in the bottom of the air box.

Your idea is a lot less funky, BTW!

Last edited by jpooch00; 09-19-2017 at 07:29 AM.
The following users liked this post:
stixvrad (09-19-2017)
Old 09-20-2017, 02:10 AM
tenn volunteer
Tourer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

My oil leak also seems to be fixed. An updated rocker box cover gasket appears to have taken care of my oil mist problem.

Old 09-20-2017, 08:19 AM
fordhd2005
Road Master
Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by tenn volunteer
My oil leak also seems to be fixed. An updated rocker box cover gasket appears to have taken care of my oil mist problem.
That's great news, thanks for the update!

Old 09-24-2017, 07:31 PM
tenn volunteer
Tourer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

The oil leak is back. Same as before. I noticed the leak yesterday. Rode today and did not clean the mess. I will call the dealer tomorrow and trailer the bike to HD.

Old 09-24-2017, 08:26 PM
stixvrad
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by tenn volunteer
The oil leak is back. Same as before. I noticed the leak yesterday. Rode today and did not clean the mess. I will call the dealer tomorrow and trailer the bike to HD.
Holy cra*.. What a pain in the ***..

Quick Reply: Oil Leak, again...