Nicely done! I may do this mod myself!

The following users liked this post:
strych9 (09-18-2017)
Old 09-18-2017, 08:36 AM
strych9
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,163 Likes on 3,519 Posts

Originally Posted by Oldskewl
Your original post about performing this modification last week left a lot to be desired, nobody including myself had any idea what you were talking about.

I give a man credit when credit is due, your video is the exact type of instructional video everyone cherishes because it's informative and you go through each step perfectly clear.

For anyone wanting to copy your modification this video leaves no doubt on the sequence, process and final product.
Two thumbs up for the video and for your ingenuity.

OS
I'm not sure I had any idea at the time, either. Well, it wasn't well-rounded.

Old 09-18-2017, 09:05 AM
Oldskewl
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,906 Likes on 3,285 Posts

You did a great job and for anyone on a budget wanting more airflow this might be a good alternative.

Old 09-18-2017, 04:35 PM
davey019
Road Warrior
Received 80 Likes on 52 Posts

Looks nicer but with more air coming in it will probably need a tune

Old 09-18-2017, 11:19 PM
strych9
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by davey019
Looks nicer but with more air coming in it will probably need a tune
Yes, I have tuned it with Powervision. B.A.M. Sticks will be installed tomorrow if UPS doesn't drop the ball.

Old 09-19-2017, 09:25 AM
Peter Quinn
Road Captain
Received 158 Likes on 119 Posts

I would be proud to take credit for strych9,s excellent workmanship and class video,the breathing improvement is unquestionable!
However it is an alternative to my original thread which was a report on the more costly but excellent Screamin Eagle replacement filter and backplate!Obviously the intent was for you to buy the kit first.The photos do not show how large the replacement filter is! The standard filter can actually fit inside it! There is not a millimeter of unused space inside the metal cover to refit the Ram screen or lower cover.
There simply cant be a more efficient or larger filter under the M8 filter cover.
In order to retain the original look and Ram feature I cut away the internal protrusions and engineered a refit with fasteners,which anyone who has the kit and the will can do!

Old 09-19-2017, 09:57 AM
Oldskewl
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,906 Likes on 3,285 Posts

Geez, talk about making me think and ponder over someones post... Maybe a link to your original post or perhaps leaving your particular modification out of this one would be more understandable. I dunno, maybe it's just me

Old 09-19-2017, 11:32 AM
strych9
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Peter Quinn
I would be proud to take credit for strych9,s excellent workmanship and class video,the breathing improvement is unquestionable!
However it is an alternative to my original thread which was a report on the more costly but excellent Screamin Eagle replacement filter and backplate!Obviously the intent was for you to buy the kit first.The photos do not show how large the replacement filter is! The standard filter can actually fit inside it! There is not a millimeter of unused space inside the metal cover to refit the Ram screen or lower cover.
There simply cant be a more efficient or larger filter under the M8 filter cover.
In order to retain the original look and Ram feature I cut away the internal protrusions and engineered a refit with fasteners,which anyone who has the kit and the will can do!
If you are talking about the same SE filter I mentioned in my video, the K&N is larger than the SE and doesn't have the metal plate in the rear of the filter that blocks airflow. I'd love to see pics of your setup. Your thread has no pics.

Old 09-19-2017, 02:02 PM
dDavid
Tourer
Received 104 Likes on 64 Posts

Strych9, I'm curious, with the larger filter area, are you seeing any change in engine performance? If so, this would indicate that the OEM filter restricts airflow somewhat, right?

Awesome looking mod, btw!

The following users liked this post:
strych9 (09-20-2017)
Old 09-20-2017, 07:46 AM
strych9
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by dDavid
Strych9, I'm curious, with the larger filter area, are you seeing any change in engine performance? If so, this would indicate that the OEM filter restricts airflow somewhat, right?

Awesome looking mod, btw!
Thanks! Well, I tuned when I installed the K&N, so it's hard to say where the gain really came from. There is a marked seat-of-the-pants difference, but it's from the combination of the air box, mufflers, and tune.

The tune I used was specific for my combo. Looking at this tune alongside the stock tune, a lot was changed, especially on the top end.

Quick Reply: Stock Air-Cleaner Hi-Flow Mod