Sponsored by:

Things could be worse, you could be an Indian owner

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2017, 12:00 PM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 12,220 Likes on 4,770 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul's Road Glide
This picture makes me cringe....and not because of the size of the cut but just those damn staples. They couldn't put something less invasive? I have no idea what staples feel like being pulled out. stitches yes, but staples..it makes me hurt just thinking about it.
They removed a bunch from me last month. No pain, kinda tickles actually. The gal that did it had big ****. I'm going back in November for another surgery and I hope she removes the staples from that one also.

Old 09-19-2017, 12:20 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,561 Likes on 5,153 Posts

Originally Posted by bradn
As of July, Polaris boasted a 17% increase in market share for Q2, and HD reported a 6.7% decline. But HD still commands a near 50% share of the market.

HD's big baggers are the best, and they enjoy a very loyal customer base at it relates to the touring scene. But where the MOCO really needs to nail it is with the younger riders. It will be really interesting to see how the 18's impact the 35 and under age group over the coming months.
17% is not much when you start at 0.

Old 09-19-2017, 12:44 PM
Oldskewl
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,906 Likes on 3,285 Posts

Originally Posted by smitty901
17% is not much when you start at 0.
Total gross sales profit was 17% across the board for Polaris, that includes everything they make. Motorcycles make up 1.5% of sales.
http://www.polaris.com/en-us/company...l-year-results

Indian/Victory took a -6% hit for the entire year.

Old 09-19-2017, 12:47 PM
Oldskewl
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by fuelmoto
Gotta be honest, we sponsor a wide range of forums including the Indian Motorcycles forum, that is a great group of individuals over there as well.
As I previously mentioned, FM is one of those special companies that not only takes care of HD but Indian and Victory as well. Good on you guys.
We need the aftermarket, not SE products.

Old 09-19-2017, 01:24 PM
RET_SCPO
Extreme HDF Member

Received 19,650 Likes on 6,279 Posts

My Indian Chieftain never gave me any major problems but that didn't stop me from buying an M8 SGS. I think things are pretty good on both bikes so I'm not sure how the title of this thread makes much sense to a guy like me who enjoyed riding an Indian for three years.

The M8 is the better engine for sure and that's what sold me on my new Harley. The improved suspension on the Street Glide is right up there with Indian's. I liked my TS111 over the twin cam and that's what got me on an Indian.....

I have no regrets ditching the Indian for my SGS and I think Harley knocked it out of the ball park when they designed the M8 and the new suspension. There are different flavors of kool-aid to choose from and that works for me!

The following users liked this post:
TomcatCV62 (09-19-2017)
Old 09-19-2017, 03:26 PM
1goindiesel
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I have two harleys and a 17 Chieftain.
Test rode the m8 SGS and the Indian. Bought the Chieftain.
I also do love the 16 heritage classic but honestly, as easy as the heritage is to ride the Chieftain is just as easy or even easier at all speeds including parking lots. yes the 103h.o. stg 1 is quicker and probably faster.
Indian is certainly heavier but something about weight distribution, build dynamics make it a breeze to ride effortlessly.
The control center, stereo, and gps also are superior and more user friendly in my opinion.
The dealer was also much more willing to negotiate a fair deal.
Downside is aftermarket and dealer network for sure.
Those saying how funny it will be when Indian owners find the brand discontinued in a few years are clueless as to the truth or falseness of the statement and weak on "why my hd is better" bullet points.
I do think the m8 is faster So what? Seriously, old school vtwin, other than needing a reason to compensate for a lack of physical prowess who cares who can ride at a higher 3 digit number? The guy in the other lane on the $2900.00 45000 mile 1200 sporty will wax all the big twins if he/she wants to. I see some haters on the Indian forum as well and give them just as little respect. I love the looks of my Indian, you hate it, its all good because we are putting our own money where we like. Having said all this I am now jonesing for a 114 heritage, best not test ride one thats for sure.

Northernproducer (09-19-2017)
Old 09-19-2017, 04:07 PM
Oldskewl
Seasoned HDF Member

Seems to be a big issue with the Indians is getting the aftermarket and getting parts or accessories (OEM) you wanted after the purchase. Seems to be a huge lag of time that's a big complaint.

HD's got stuff everywhere, not that means anything as half of it's junk anyway.
Copies of aftermarket who didn't Trademark their design are at the will of the big moco.

My brother has an Indian, I've ridden it but it wasn't even close enough to make me want one. I haven't ridden a touring model nor would I buy no matter how good it looked or performed for fear that Polaris could afford to close it down on a whim. I loved the Vics, they had their own style and the aftermarket was coming around to support them. Giving that up because they wanted to 'concentrate sales on Indian" could be the same excuse they use for shutting down Indian "want to concentrate sales on ORV".

Polaris makes one hell of a snowmobile and side by side. I own both.

Last edited by Oldskewl; 09-19-2017 at 04:08 PM.
Old 09-19-2017, 04:58 PM
rrhemi
Tourer
Received 58 Likes on 41 Posts

In 2011 I compared the street glide to the Victory Cross country. For me the Victory won on suspension, motor and out of the box comfort. I bought the Vic. Raved about it, friend after friend bought one. It wasn't 100% trouble free but a little better then my 2006 Low Rider, a bike that experienced the inner primary bearing failure leading to its dismissal. I Put 35,000 miles on the Vic, enjoyed the $180 dealer service appts. and planned to go back at 50k and say "give me another one."

Watched the Victory lineup go stale as Indian grew. Watched my local dealer clear the floor and remodel just for Indian. And then, they dump the Victory. All that effort shot to hell so imo they could go after HD with a name and old technology. Real smart Polaris going after a shrinking market with a product insured to cater to the same. My Vic has a monoshock rear suspension, inverted front fork and four vales per cylinder. The Indians have none of this, maybe the monoshock rear. So now HD is leading in the technology game. How freaking ironic!

I will never trust Polaris with a major investment, or possibly affecting my #1 activity/hobby/lifestyle again. I used to just say "meh" to Indians, now I curse them. It really sucks to have your brand of moto killed by it's own parents. It's not just a motorcycle to me.

s-glide76 (09-20-2017)
Old 09-19-2017, 07:26 PM
TomcatCV62
Road Warrior
Received 237 Likes on 189 Posts

I’ve noticed a lot of guys here own more than one motorcycle. That being said, I really did like the Indian line up, maybe I will buy an Indian bar hopper......

Old 09-19-2017, 08:24 PM
sumncguy
Road Warrior

Received 213 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by not a sock
What a crock of BS from a rider with a BIG glass of Harley Cool-aid (ie '17 FLHTK)
This is America. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Quick Reply: Things could be worse, you could be an Indian owner