Oil In The Throttle Body

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2017, 01:49 PM
vizcarmb
Stellar HDF Member
Received 520 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by Oldskewl
What lines are you referring too?
The breather bolt and the tube in the first post.

Originally Posted by sixguns
Having had a few different styles of filters and also converted to external, My observation is that not all systems do a good job at getting The vapors into the TB. Some are quite lousy at it and are just drippers. The Heavy Breather does a very good job of Getting the Vapors into the TB without making a mess.
I'm sure it does a great job, but not everyone wants to spend that kind of money for something minor like that. I would rather have it leak and wipe it up then spend over 1000 for something minor like that.

Last edited by vizcarmb; 09-18-2017 at 01:52 PM.
Old 09-19-2017, 08:12 AM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts

A little while back I ran to Price, Utah and I had my intake puking oil. It recently had an oil change and they filled it all the way up to the full mark. It was bad enough it was on my exhaust, side cover, and bag.
Terrible

I can say it seemed to stop after I cleaned it all up and "adjusted" the level.
We were running pretty hard that day so I don't know if that contributed as well. 500 miles in 100 degree average temps. Whole lot of highway/freeway then short stops for gas/refreshment.

Old 09-19-2017, 07:08 PM
SWThomas
Stellar HDF Member
Received 993 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by vizcarmb
The breather bolt and the tube in the first post.

I'm sure it does a great job, but not everyone wants to spend that kind of money for something minor like that. I would rather have it leak and wipe it up then spend over 1000 for something minor like that.
First off, the heavy breather doesn't have any lines or hoses. The bolts themselves are hallow and vented.

Second, I don't know who told you a heavy breather kit costs over $1,000 but they lied to you.

The following users liked this post:
Oldskewl (09-20-2017)
Old 09-20-2017, 08:38 AM
strych9
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,122 Likes on 3,504 Posts

I struggle to see how the oil level affects this issue. The breather bolts tap into the crankcase. Oil level doesn't affect crankcase pressure. Someone please explain the theory.

Old 09-20-2017, 08:43 AM
Oldskewl
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,906 Likes on 3,285 Posts

Originally Posted by SWThomas
First off, the heavy breather doesn't have any lines or hoses. The bolts themselves are hallow and vented.

Second, I don't know who told you a heavy breather kit costs over $1,000 but they lied to you.
I tried to point that out but sometimes it's just not worth it.

Old 09-20-2017, 12:06 PM
stixvrad
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,075 Likes on 3,318 Posts

Originally Posted by strych9
I struggle to see how the oil level affects this issue. The breather bolts tap into the crankcase. Oil level doesn't affect crankcase pressure. Someone please explain the theory.
I'm new to HD's but have some knowledge on engines. These are dry sump so most oil is kept in a remote cavity,not the crankcase like a wet sump engine. But some oil is in the case so the pump can circulate it. So the less room there is to absorb pressure pulses from the descending pistons, the more likely it is that pressure will look for a way out (the breathers). So, the higher oil level reduces that open space. I'm totally open to someone with more understanding of HD's to correct me if I am off the rails on this. Learning is a good thing.

Last edited by stixvrad; 09-20-2017 at 12:08 PM.
Old 09-20-2017, 12:25 PM
strych9
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by stixvrad
I'm new to HD's but have some knowledge on engines. These are dry sump so most oil is kept in a remote cavity,not the crankcase like a wet sump engine. But some oil is in the case so the pump can circulate it. So the less room there is to absorb pressure pulses from the descending pistons, the more likely it is that pressure will look for a way out (the breathers). So, the higher oil level reduces that open space. I'm totally open to someone with more understanding of HD's to correct me if I am off the rails on this. Learning is a good thing.
Good points, but the scavenging pump is still pulling oil from the case back to the oil pan. That flow is constant (in relation to engine speed), so level in the pan shouldn't affect it.

Old 09-20-2017, 12:50 PM
stixvrad
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,075 Likes on 3,318 Posts

Originally Posted by strych9
Good points, but the scavenging pump is still pulling oil from the case back to the oil pan. That flow is constant (in relation to engine speed), so level in the pan shouldn't affect it.
Thanks.. Question... I assume the two ( crankcase and sump) are connected so wouldn't they both be areas with available space to absorb the pulses? If the level were higher in the sump, your still reducing that overall space,no?

Old 09-20-2017, 12:51 PM
GTK
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 579 Likes on 414 Posts

Oil in t/body leads to deposits on top of pistons,etc.Top engine cleaner added to gas eliminates this when used on a regular basis. Good for M8 owners wanting to have clean pistons tops and keep their warranty intact without modifying engine breather system.JMHO

Old 09-20-2017, 02:16 PM
strych9
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by stixvrad
Thanks.. Question... I assume the two ( crankcase and sump) are connected so wouldn't they both be areas with available space to absorb the pulses? If the level were higher in the sump, your still reducing that overall space,no?
They are connected only by the ports to the oil pumps (pressurizing and return), so no. Not connected like you are thinking. Here's a pic of the transmission, and the oil pan (sump) is out of view but the gasket for it is shown, and ports are circled:

The following users liked this post:
stixvrad (09-20-2017)

Quick Reply: Oil In The Throttle Body