Sponsored by:

Anybody know how to..

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2017, 06:48 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,901 Likes on 17,471 Posts
Angry Anybody know how to..

Bypass that damned neutral safety switch on these things ? SOB got me bumped off my bike at a light today. It died for some reason, found I couldn't just clutch it and go so while I'm fumbling to find neutral a kid in a pickup bumped me trying to go around and of course he took off.

Discovered something about the RK, it's heavy. No damage I can find but a mark or two on the crash bar chrome low down underneath. Just pisses me off to no end about that switch it's got to go.

Old 09-18-2017, 06:51 PM
DaddyKnuck
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,658 Likes on 943 Posts

I'd figure out whether it works in an open or closed position. Once you know that, either connect the wires or separate them. I didn't know my bike had one. If it does I'm going to defeat it as well.

Old 09-18-2017, 06:52 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,516 Likes on 4,422 Posts

crap, glad you're ok..
I know, my wife's replacement switch is acting up again and that's my main concern in trying to convince our service writer to replace under warranty but it's intermittent..damnit

Old 09-18-2017, 06:56 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,901 Likes on 17,471 Posts

Yeah was less than happy at that discovery trust me and then the bike & I suddenly taking dive to the right. Knee's a bit banged up but that's mostly jean burn. Rude...... I can't find where the guy touched the bike so big time lucked out there.

Old 09-18-2017, 06:59 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,516 Likes on 4,422 Posts

wonder if there's any ancillary side effects of disabling it, like EITMS...or whatever other sensors may be in play

Old 09-18-2017, 07:16 PM
asputin
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you mean you cant start the bike unless its in neutral?

Old 09-18-2017, 08:41 PM
Teufelhunden
Road Captain
Received 92 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
wonder if there's any ancillary side effects of disabling it, like EITMS...or whatever other sensors may be in play

I'm willing to bet that the EITMS will not activate unless the bike is in neutral if you disable it.......not a big deal really, but there may be other things as well.......

The following users liked this post:
mjwebb (09-18-2017)
Old 09-18-2017, 10:45 PM
SWMB
Road Warrior
Received 776 Likes on 499 Posts

I know my Road King has no neutral safety switch I start it all the time in 1st with the clutch pulled in so maybe its US bikes only and the bikes exported to Canada don't have it.

Old 09-18-2017, 10:49 PM
HalfMoon
Intermediate
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SWMB
I know my Road King has no neutral safety switch I start it all the time in 1st with the clutch pulled in so maybe its US bikes only and the bikes exported to Canada don't have it.
Not on my California bike, I can start it in gear, no problem at all.

The following users liked this post:
SWMB (09-20-2017)
Old 09-18-2017, 11:13 PM
Bpf
Intermediate
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I've never seen a bike with a switch forbidding to start the engine but the quick stand switch or the kill switch on the right handle bar. This later switch turns the whole bike off so it's easy to check if it is functional or not.

Regarding the kick stand switch you can start on any gear by pulling the clutch lever if the quick stand switch is off, but you can start only in neutral if the kick stand switch if on. If it is on, it stops the engine as soon as you engage any gear.

I've never had a neutral switch dead (I suppose it is buried into the transmission somewhere), I've seen dead quick stand switches and when they died they were always off meaning I could try starting the engine even with a gear engaged. But once dead I guess they could be always on, depending how they died. I would check the wiring and connectors, may be the switch is still good but it has been disconnected.

Quick Reply: Anybody know how to..