Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Body Control Module

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2019, 09:48 AM
mikeuhl
Stage II
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

This was a very helpful post. Thank you. Apparently, the BCM on my 2015 Ultra Limited failed last weekend. I had to unplug my battery and then reconnect it before I could start my bike, as suggested by an HD technician over the phone. I'm waiting for my local dealer (Raging Bull HD in Durham, NC) to receive a new unit from Milwaukee.

-Mike

The following 2 users liked this post by mikeuhl:
Capt. Karnage (09-19-2019), danielyuhn (07-14-2021)
Old 08-25-2019, 01:45 PM
Anthony Silvestro
Stage I
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default BCM issues

Originally Posted by Alan Karna
Hi guys! I just came across your question today, so sorry this isn't timely, but in case anyone else is searching.

Steve Cole is mostly right about what the BCM does. The exact functions of it depend on exactly what model and model year vehicle it is in, and I can't divulge technical details, but here's a quick high level overview of it and what it does:

The BCM was introduced on MY2011 Softails. As of 2014 it is on all Harleys except for Street and V-Rod. It is the successor to the TSM/TSSM (turn signal and security module).

There are six different varities of BCM in existence today on commerically available bikes (not counting changes from model year to model year). It comes in two "orientations". One orientation ("Y-Axis") is for softail, the other orientation ("X-Axis") is for all other vehicles. Then there are 3 security types. One without security/fob support, one with security/fob support for Japan only, and one with security/fob support for the rest of the world (odd Japan wireless frequency regulation no other country has - automotive typically has the same difference). So between the 2 orientations and the 3 security versions, there are 6 total. A BCM on softail cannot be used with any other family. Part numbers vary from model year to model year.

Steve, you said it's the "nerve center" and that's fairly accurate. It is the "network master" and tells the other modules when to talk and when to be silent.
It also controls the vehicle mode. Whether your vehicle has an ignition switch with IGN/OFF/ACCY right on it or is the "keyless" variety, the BCM tells everyone else what mode you're in - OFF, accessory, or ignition, and also communicates when the starter is cranking. It also cuts engine and pump power if the kill switch is pressed or it tips over.

It powers the starter solenoid, and as such controls the starter interlock - making sure you're not in gear (or the clutch is in).

It powers the fuel pump, and can cut of fuel in the event of a tip. It will prevent starting and disable the fuel pump if there is a security violation (NOTE: for safety reasons, it will not do this is the vehicle is already running and moving).

In combination with the ECM, it powers the engine coils and the fuel injectors, so it can cut power to the engine, but does not play a role in throttle control.

It DOES contain an internal accelerometer. It uses this both to detect if the vehicle is being disturbed for security, and to detect if the vehicle is tipped over. As noted, it DOES NOT work for Trike. On factory Trikes MY18 and prior, there is an additional Bank Angle Sensor (BAS) that tells the BCM if the trike is tipped or not. For MY19 and later factory trikes - it's actually the ABS module (which in turn is talking to an inertial measurment unit [IMU] ) that tells the BCM how much the bike is leaning. It is much more accurate than the internal sensor. I highly recommend against turning a vehicle into a trike or adding a sidecar for this reason. At the very least, if you do, you need to properly install a BAS and take it to a dealer and have them change the BCM settings to the trike/sidecar configuration.

It talks to the ABS module, but it does not intervene in any braking events. In some later model vehicles, it uses information from the ABS unit to light the brake lamp.

It controls all of the lighting on the vehicle (except aux/fog lights on older vehicles and ones installed via kits). There are no lighting fuses, the BCM detects if there's an issue and shuts off the power if there is.

It also controls the security system, talks to the fobs and siren (if installed) and will flash the turn signals, disable the fuel pump and coils if there is a security violation.

It also powers the accessory connector.

If you have a CVO MY16 or later, the BCM also controls the power locks.

Note that you cannot swap/replace a BCM without the dealer (or at least a dealer tool). The ECM knows exactly which BCM it is talking to and if it senses a different BCM, it will assume something on the bike is stolen and not allow the engine to run and will also tell the BCM to turn off the fuel pump and not power the coils/injectors. So do not swap a BCM on your own (unless you have and know how to use the dealer tool - and I'm not talking about the generic diagnostic tools you can get online, I'm talking the actual H-D dealer tool. The generic diagnostic tools can be used to read trouble codes but cannot be used for replacing and configuring electronic units). That being said, if you ever need to find a replacement BCM, a new BCM can replace an older BCM of the same type - but with few exceptions, you cannot replace a newer BCM with an older one. Additionally, each BCM has to be configured for the specific set of features on that bike. You cannot swap a softail BCM with a BCM from any other family and vice-versa.

So that's about it as far as vehicle functions it supports. This post is for information only. BCM replacement and/or configuration should only be done by a qualified technician. Neither Harley-Davidson nor I can be held liable for any work you do on your own!
Im having issues pertaining to the BCM yesterday while riding the bike shut off flashers came on bike would not start change battery in FOB bike still wouldn’t start if you’re continuing to try to start it it did start flashers stayed on all the way home had to disconnect the battery to get the flashers Off. Prior to this event I’ve had the bike stall I’ve had it race I’ve had an error code come up for oxygen sensors I even had a Error come up for the jiffy stand being down which is not a feature that I have going to order a new BCM in the morning was told by Harley dealer that the part on my bike was supersede three times then there was a part number change and that was supersede three times so all in all I have no confidence in the BCM in the BCM to preform correctly 2013 Heritage

The following users liked this post:
danielyuhn (07-14-2021)
Old 08-28-2019, 09:39 AM
skeeter86
Cruiser
Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Nice info just what we need on the road to give us a starting point! THANK YOU

Capt. Karnage (09-19-2019)
Old 09-19-2019, 05:01 PM
Capt. Karnage
Novice
Received 30 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry to hear you're having problems with the bike. All new BCMs are made to retrofit the old ones, so you may get a 2019 BCM but it will work as good, if not better, than the old one before it started giving your problems. Let me know how it goes. It probably is a BCM gone bad (hey, it happens) but sometimes it's not - could be wiring or other issue to. I hope it fixes your problem.

Last edited by Capt. Karnage; 09-19-2019 at 05:01 PM. Reason: reword for clarity
Old 09-19-2019, 05:09 PM
Capt. Karnage
Novice

I forgot about one other feature - tire pressure monitoring. If you have a CVO from MY14-20 or now some MY20 non-CVO touring bikes the BCM also talks wirelessly to the tire pressure sensors in the tires and flags low pressure to the instrument and sends the pressure values to the radio (if equipped)..

danielyuhn (07-14-2021)
Old 09-21-2019, 02:11 AM
Peter Quinn
Road Captain
Received 158 Likes on 119 Posts

Alan I bought a non runner from a Harley shop some years ago.Tech told me it had been standing for years with bad battery and stator.
Fitted a new battery,got it to start.No charger problem but it cut out unpredictably for no reason!After much head scratching and digging around
I found the BCM up under the rear fender.The whole mount had come loose an it could swing around in motion! Obviously sending very confusing
Signals to the ECU.
Gave it some TLC and sold it in a week.Still see it cruising around town!

Capt. Karnage (10-10-2019)
Old 09-21-2019, 04:38 AM
kap1
Road Captain
Received 113 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Karna
I forgot about one other feature - tire pressure monitoring. If you have a CVO from MY14-20 or now some MY20 non-CVO touring bikes the BCM also talks wirelessly to the tire pressure sensors in the tires and flags low pressure to the instrument and sends the pressure values to the radio (if equipped)..
Just wanted to thank you for all the info and taking the time to post it. I have been on forums since Compuserve and this is one of the best posts that I have seen for component info/explanation. I think that this with your original post would be a good post to stick and it has info for a lot more than the M8.

The following 2 users liked this post by kap1:
Capt. Karnage (10-10-2019), GREENOHAWK69 (01-18-2021)
Old 09-21-2019, 05:33 AM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,561 Likes on 5,153 Posts

Originally Posted by Peter Quinn
I imagine it will take a Steve Cole to explain the full functions of this hidden cellphone sized module that also lets the E.C.M know where the bike is and what forces are acting upon it. it has links to the lean angle,G-forces,and speed (Amongst other things).
I understand that it interprets this data and can intervene directly with the throttle control and the A.B.S braking and moderate them.
This is important to know when you choose the A.B.S braking system option.
If you decide to convert your bike to a three wheeler it will shut you down when it detects that your cornering G-force is obviously too high for non existing lean angle.
The Tip can be shut off by dealer. How ever it will throw a red light. You can over come that by replace the ECM with one for a trike.. I have been down that road with a side car.

Old 09-25-2019, 09:16 PM
BrandonSmith
Club Member
Received 2,208 Likes on 1,396 Posts

Question: Can a used BCM w/security from a 2017 FLHXS (41000341A) be installed into a 2017 FLHX replacing the base BCM (41000351A), if the PIN is not known? @Alan Karna @Steve Cole

My dealer says yes, but they’re hesitant to say that because of the PIN and they’ve never installed security with a used BCM before.

Last edited by BrandonSmith; 09-25-2019 at 09:21 PM.
Old 10-10-2019, 12:12 PM
Capt. Karnage
Novice

Brandon,

If you want security, the dealer can follow the same setup procedure as a new BCM, it should work. I don't know how much they'll charge you for the service, though.

Do you have a fob to pair with it, or are you looking to just have the same functionality as the base BCM? It's a little more complicated if you don't want security, but it's technically doable. That being said, removing security is not something the dealers normally do, though, so I understand if they're not comfortable doing it.

Quick Reply: Body Control Module