Sponsored by:

Body Control Module

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2017, 08:31 AM
Peter Quinn
Road Captain
Received 158 Likes on 119 Posts
Default Body Control Module

I imagine it will take a Steve Cole to explain the full functions of this hidden cellphone sized module that also lets the E.C.M know where the bike is and what forces are acting upon it. it has links to the lean angle,G-forces,and speed (Amongst other things).
I understand that it interprets this data and can intervene directly with the throttle control and the A.B.S braking and moderate them.
This is important to know when you choose the A.B.S braking system option.
If you decide to convert your bike to a three wheeler it will shut you down when it detects that your cornering G-force is obviously too high for non existing lean angle.

Top Answer

06-27-2019, 12:50 PM
Capt. Karnage
Novice
Received 30 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi guys! I just came across your question today, so sorry this isn't timely, but in case anyone else is searching.

Steve Cole is mostly right about what the BCM does. The exact functions of it depend on exactly what model and model year vehicle it is in, and I can't divulge technical details, but here's a quick high level overview of it and what it does:

The BCM was introduced on MY2011 Softails. As of 2014 it is on all Harleys except for Street and V-Rod. It is the successor to the TSM/TSSM (turn signal and security module).

There are six different varities of BCM in existence today on commerically available bikes (not counting changes from model year to model year). It comes in two "orientations". One orientation ("Y-Axis") is for softail, the other orientation ("X-Axis") is for all other vehicles. Then there are 3 security types. One without security/fob support, one with security/fob support for Japan only, and one with security/fob support for the rest of the world (odd Japan wireless frequency regulation no other country has - automotive typically has the same difference). So between the 2 orientations and the 3 security versions, there are 6 total. A BCM on softail cannot be used with any other family. Part numbers vary from model year to model year.

Steve, you said it's the "nerve center" and that's fairly accurate. It is the "network master" and tells the other modules when to talk and when to be silent.
It also controls the vehicle mode. Whether your vehicle has an ignition switch with IGN/OFF/ACCY right on it or is the "keyless" variety, the BCM tells everyone else what mode you're in - OFF, accessory, or ignition, and also communicates when the starter is cranking. It also cuts engine and pump power if the kill switch is pressed or it tips over.

It powers the starter solenoid, and as such controls the starter interlock - making sure you're not in gear (or the clutch is in).

It powers the fuel pump, and can cut of fuel in the event of a tip. It will prevent starting and disable the fuel pump if there is a security violation (NOTE: for safety reasons, it will not do this is the vehicle is already running and moving).

In combination with the ECM, it powers the engine coils and the fuel injectors, so it can cut power to the engine, but does not play a role in throttle control.

It DOES contain an internal accelerometer. It uses this both to detect if the vehicle is being disturbed for security, and to detect if the vehicle is tipped over. As noted, it DOES NOT work for Trike. On factory Trikes MY18 and prior, there is an additional Bank Angle Sensor (BAS) that tells the BCM if the trike is tipped or not. For MY19 and later factory trikes - it's actually the ABS module (which in turn is talking to an inertial measurment unit [IMU] ) that tells the BCM how much the bike is leaning. It is much more accurate than the internal sensor. I highly recommend against turning a vehicle into a trike or adding a sidecar for this reason. At the very least, if you do, you need to properly install a BAS and take it to a dealer and have them change the BCM settings to the trike/sidecar configuration.

It talks to the ABS module, but it does not intervene in any braking events. In some later model vehicles, it uses information from the ABS unit to light the brake lamp.

It controls all of the lighting on the vehicle (except aux/fog lights on older vehicles and ones installed via kits). There are no lighting fuses, the BCM detects if there's an issue and shuts off the power if there is.

It also controls the security system, talks to the fobs and siren (if installed) and will flash the turn signals, disable the fuel pump and coils if there is a security violation.

It also powers the accessory connector.

If you have a CVO MY16 or later, the BCM also controls the power locks.

Note that you cannot swap/replace a BCM without the dealer (or at least a dealer tool). The ECM knows exactly which BCM it is talking to and if it senses a different BCM, it will assume something on the bike is stolen and not allow the engine to run and will also tell the BCM to turn off the fuel pump and not power the coils/injectors. So do not swap a BCM on your own (unless you have and know how to use the dealer tool - and I'm not talking about the generic diagnostic tools you can get online, I'm talking the actual H-D dealer tool. The generic diagnostic tools can be used to read trouble codes but cannot be used for replacing and configuring electronic units). That being said, if you ever need to find a replacement BCM, a new BCM can replace an older BCM of the same type - but with few exceptions, you cannot replace a newer BCM with an older one. Additionally, each BCM has to be configured for the specific set of features on that bike. You cannot swap a softail BCM with a BCM from any other family and vice-versa.

So that's about it as far as vehicle functions it supports. This post is for information only. BCM replacement and/or configuration should only be done by a qualified technician. Neither Harley-Davidson nor I can be held liable for any work you do on your own!

Last edited by Capt. Karnage; 06-27-2019 at 12:53 PM.
Old 09-28-2017, 10:53 AM
Oldskewl
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,906 Likes on 3,285 Posts

BCM monitors all electrical control functions on the bike and helps you retrieve diagnostic codes, key fob and thing like that. Unless something has changed (which it may have) it has nothing to do with lean angle, G-Forces or speed.

That's about as far as my info go's. Maybe the newer bikes it does something different but on older say, softails that was the sole purpose. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited by Oldskewl; 09-28-2017 at 10:54 AM.
Old 09-28-2017, 05:39 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,252 Likes on 3,626 Posts

I doubt the BCM has GPS or anything to do with ABS.. The ABS module is self contained. It has a CAN interface but I suspect that it is mainly used for status indicator and diagnostics.

Old 09-29-2017, 03:31 AM
Peter Quinn
Road Captain
Received 158 Likes on 119 Posts

Sorry guys this is the Milwaukee forum so we are not talking old here!
I was hoping to attract a product expert to explain the new BCM functions fully.
It is the equivalent to the Nervous system of the bike,very complicated.
Amongst other things it incorporates an accelerometer and a Bank Angle Sensor.
The B A S is used to,activate the indicator cancel delay from the point of turn(lean)and the power cut at a critical angle(fall)
It is definitely capable in some way of determining a combination of g force and lean angle.I have witnessed the shut down of the converted Trike in a hard turn myself. Our shop Master tech confirmed it is the BCM but the problem is unresolved at this time!

Old 09-29-2017, 05:05 AM
Mofo67
Stellar HDF Member
Received 802 Likes on 527 Posts

I do not exactly how it works but it does exist. The BAS reads the lean angle of the bike and if it detects the bike is to low it thinks the bike has been dropped and will shut it down. It is designed as a safety feature in case of an accident. It can also reduce the throttle, not sure about the interaction with the braking system.

Old 09-29-2017, 08:10 AM
14GuineaPig
Stellar HDF Member
Received 512 Likes on 444 Posts

Try reading this thread for info about the BAS & a trike conversion

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/elect...-on-trike.html

The following users liked this post:
Peter Quinn (09-29-2017)
Old 09-29-2017, 09:43 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,252 Likes on 3,626 Posts

Originally Posted by Mofo67
I do not exactly how it works but it does exist. The BAS reads the lean angle of the bike and if it detects the bike is to low it thinks the bike has been dropped and will shut it down. It is designed as a safety feature in case of an accident. It can also reduce the throttle, not sure about the interaction with the braking system.
While the BCM likely has the BAS, I would suspect that it can't reduce throttle.. In the case of an emergency shutdown, it has the ability to cut the fuel directly by cutting power to the fuel system. This way, if the Can bus is damaged or flaky, the BCM can override the ECM. So what evidence do you have that it can control throttle?

Old 09-29-2017, 01:58 PM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru
Received 3,430 Likes on 1,577 Posts

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
While the BCM likely has the BAS, I would suspect that it can't reduce throttle.. In the case of an emergency shutdown, it has the ability to cut the fuel directly by cutting power to the fuel system. This way, if the Can bus is damaged or flaky, the BCM can override the ECM. So what evidence do you have that it can control throttle?
In very general terms the BCM is the master control of the motorcycle systems. If the BCM tells the ECM to limit power or shut the fuel system down it will. That said, there is a lot of interaction that goes on between the ABS, ECM, Instruments, Radio, Handle Bar controls and BCM.

The following 3 users liked this post by Steve Cole:
Max Headflow (09-29-2017), Oil, Gas & Leather (07-30-2021), Peter Quinn (09-29-2017)
Old 06-27-2019, 12:50 PM
Capt. Karnage
Novice
Received 30 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi guys! I just came across your question today, so sorry this isn't timely, but in case anyone else is searching.

Steve Cole is mostly right about what the BCM does. The exact functions of it depend on exactly what model and model year vehicle it is in, and I can't divulge technical details, but here's a quick high level overview of it and what it does:

The BCM was introduced on MY2011 Softails. As of 2014 it is on all Harleys except for Street and V-Rod. It is the successor to the TSM/TSSM (turn signal and security module).

There are six different varities of BCM in existence today on commerically available bikes (not counting changes from model year to model year). It comes in two "orientations". One orientation ("Y-Axis") is for softail, the other orientation ("X-Axis") is for all other vehicles. Then there are 3 security types. One without security/fob support, one with security/fob support for Japan only, and one with security/fob support for the rest of the world (odd Japan wireless frequency regulation no other country has - automotive typically has the same difference). So between the 2 orientations and the 3 security versions, there are 6 total. A BCM on softail cannot be used with any other family. Part numbers vary from model year to model year.

Steve, you said it's the "nerve center" and that's fairly accurate. It is the "network master" and tells the other modules when to talk and when to be silent.
It also controls the vehicle mode. Whether your vehicle has an ignition switch with IGN/OFF/ACCY right on it or is the "keyless" variety, the BCM tells everyone else what mode you're in - OFF, accessory, or ignition, and also communicates when the starter is cranking. It also cuts engine and pump power if the kill switch is pressed or it tips over.

It powers the starter solenoid, and as such controls the starter interlock - making sure you're not in gear (or the clutch is in).

It powers the fuel pump, and can cut of fuel in the event of a tip. It will prevent starting and disable the fuel pump if there is a security violation (NOTE: for safety reasons, it will not do this is the vehicle is already running and moving).

In combination with the ECM, it powers the engine coils and the fuel injectors, so it can cut power to the engine, but does not play a role in throttle control.

It DOES contain an internal accelerometer. It uses this both to detect if the vehicle is being disturbed for security, and to detect if the vehicle is tipped over. As noted, it DOES NOT work for Trike. On factory Trikes MY18 and prior, there is an additional Bank Angle Sensor (BAS) that tells the BCM if the trike is tipped or not. For MY19 and later factory trikes - it's actually the ABS module (which in turn is talking to an inertial measurment unit [IMU] ) that tells the BCM how much the bike is leaning. It is much more accurate than the internal sensor. I highly recommend against turning a vehicle into a trike or adding a sidecar for this reason. At the very least, if you do, you need to properly install a BAS and take it to a dealer and have them change the BCM settings to the trike/sidecar configuration.

It talks to the ABS module, but it does not intervene in any braking events. In some later model vehicles, it uses information from the ABS unit to light the brake lamp.

It controls all of the lighting on the vehicle (except aux/fog lights on older vehicles and ones installed via kits). There are no lighting fuses, the BCM detects if there's an issue and shuts off the power if there is.

It also controls the security system, talks to the fobs and siren (if installed) and will flash the turn signals, disable the fuel pump and coils if there is a security violation.

It also powers the accessory connector.

If you have a CVO MY16 or later, the BCM also controls the power locks.

Note that you cannot swap/replace a BCM without the dealer (or at least a dealer tool). The ECM knows exactly which BCM it is talking to and if it senses a different BCM, it will assume something on the bike is stolen and not allow the engine to run and will also tell the BCM to turn off the fuel pump and not power the coils/injectors. So do not swap a BCM on your own (unless you have and know how to use the dealer tool - and I'm not talking about the generic diagnostic tools you can get online, I'm talking the actual H-D dealer tool. The generic diagnostic tools can be used to read trouble codes but cannot be used for replacing and configuring electronic units). That being said, if you ever need to find a replacement BCM, a new BCM can replace an older BCM of the same type - but with few exceptions, you cannot replace a newer BCM with an older one. Additionally, each BCM has to be configured for the specific set of features on that bike. You cannot swap a softail BCM with a BCM from any other family and vice-versa.

So that's about it as far as vehicle functions it supports. This post is for information only. BCM replacement and/or configuration should only be done by a qualified technician. Neither Harley-Davidson nor I can be held liable for any work you do on your own!

Last edited by Capt. Karnage; 06-27-2019 at 12:53 PM.
The following 28 users liked this post by Capt. Karnage:
arnold_schachat (06-30-2019), attaboy15 (07-12-2021), BrandonSmith (09-25-2019), ChicagoBikeDriver (01-03-2020), Down South (07-15-2019), FLTRI17 (08-07-2019), foundationapps (01-18-2021), GREENOHAWK69 (01-18-2021), Heatwave (09-19-2019), jammerx (05-18-2020), JB Burns (06-14-2020), kap1 (09-21-2019), lp (09-21-2019), MikeLaPlaya (03-05-2022), mikes300 (10-18-2019), mikeuhl (07-15-2019), Navy Mustang (11-06-2019), Oil, Gas & Leather (07-30-2021), Peter Quinn (06-28-2019), Phil13 (08-26-2019), pigoff (06-15-2021), skeeter86 (08-26-2019), Stickman53 (07-15-2019), strych9 (07-15-2019), VDeuce (06-27-2019), Wide06 (07-12-2021), Wmitz (06-28-2019), YPD485 (10-13-2019) and 23 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-27-2019, 03:03 PM
VDeuce
Road Warrior
Received 403 Likes on 257 Posts

Excellent info, thanks!

The following 2 users liked this post by VDeuce:
Capt. Karnage (09-19-2019), GREENOHAWK69 (01-18-2021)

Quick Reply: Body Control Module