Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Milwaukee Eight (M8) (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/milwaukee-eight-m8-198/)
-   -   Trade 14 RK for 18 RK with a catch... (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/milwaukee-eight-m8/1201524-trade-14-rk-for-18-rk-with-a-catch.html)

Magnut1 10-03-2017 08:39 AM

Trade 14 RK for 18 RK with a catch...

I have this idea. I was going to approach the local dealers and check out the 18 RK, not the special. I thought if I could work it out to take delivery of a new one and have a few days to swap everything over, I might end up with a pretty good deal. Dealers usually don't care if the bike is loaded or stock, they are going to give you the same money. It is to their advantage of sorts to have your bike fully loaded but still give you book price.

Has anyone been allowed to do this? I want to keep my wheels, whole front end from heated grips to flush mounted axle. the CVO seat, console, 4 pt dock, fenders, lights, and put all the stock stuff from the 18 back on the 14 and give them basically a new paint job and seat and front end, wheels / tires, etc. I have the orig computer, intake, and exhaust to put back on.

I know the engine/intake/exhaust is all different, but what about the frame and such? Anyone take on this endeavor?

teedoff65 10-03-2017 09:25 AM

There was someone on here that basically did the same thing, but worked it out with the dealer to have them swap his custom parts to his new bike.

Maybe thats something you could work out.

Oldskewl 10-03-2017 12:06 PM

Forget the dock. It won't work on the 18 as far as I know. Everything else bolts up to it but the struts are different.

cbrenthus 10-03-2017 12:19 PM

I'd either take it to the dealer and discuss it with them, or I'd take the bike back to stock and then go to the dealer.

Magnut1 10-03-2017 12:51 PM

except for the mentioned computer, exhaust, intake, I have pretty much gotten rid of everything else from the stock bike to help fund the new pieces.

cbrenthus 10-03-2017 02:42 PM

And those aren't going to transfer to the new bike anyway, so I think you're good to go.

purpledeuce 10-03-2017 05:49 PM

Make the parts swap part of the negotiation, if they say no then keep looking or go back in the winter

jd05flhtci 10-03-2017 07:26 PM

I doubt they will let you do it but they may make a deal for them to do the work. You going to the dealer in Toledo?

Quik 10-03-2017 07:32 PM

My question is, if you are going to swap your custom parts over but no longer have the OEM parts to put back on as replacement, do you think the dealership is gonna take that deal and have to come up with their own parts to make the trade in bike whole again? Maybe I read wrong or have a misunderstanding of your post.

whocares 10-03-2017 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by Quik (Post 16699787)
My question is, if you are going to swap your custom parts over but no longer have the OEM parts to put back on as replacement, do you think the dealership is gonna take that deal and have to come up with their own parts to make the trade in bike whole again? Maybe I read wrong or have a misunderstanding of your post.

Seriously doubt it.