Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rev's up when coming to a stop question

Old 10-07-2017, 01:54 PM
edmroadglide
Cruiser
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Rev's up when coming to a stop question

quick question. I have 2017 107 loaded stage one tune SE intake and slipon's bike runs good but after a couple days just before coming to a full stop (clutch pulled in) the rpm will rev up and hold for a bit before it settles, will go up to about 1300 1400 rpm (no i am not on the throttle) then idles a bit rough bouncing around from around 900 to 1050 or so. Any thoughts? never did this before.

Old 10-07-2017, 01:59 PM
GFVIII
Cruiser
Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Is it possible that you are not used to the EITMS system? That is the heat management system that may kick in at idle. Just ruling that out in case this is your first bike that has it.

Old 10-07-2017, 02:06 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,771 Likes on 17,440 Posts

Yeah my RK has started doing that a few hundred miles ago, having a couple things looked at in a few weeks and that's on the list, I'll post back if they say anything besides the usual bullshit of " they all do that ".

Old 10-07-2017, 02:06 PM
edmroadglide
Cruiser

First Harely for sure, well i did not see the light come on so i don't think thats what it was. Besides i don't think that would cause it to rev up coming to a stop would it? For the last couple of months i don't recall that sucker ever coming on.

Old 10-07-2017, 02:07 PM
edmroadglide
Cruiser

Originally Posted by edmroadglide
First Harely for sure, well i did not see the light come on so i don't think thats what it was. Besides i don't think that would cause it to rev up coming to a stop would it? For the last couple of months i don't recall that sucker ever coming on.
i might take some brake cleaner or something and spray it around the intakes and see if there is a leak, just does not seem right.

Old 10-07-2017, 02:18 PM
GFVIII
Cruiser
Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by edmroadglide
No light will come on when the heat management system engages. For the hell of it, try turning it off and see if the issue goes away. Look at your owner's manual to see how to turn it off. It's easy. Just turn the throttle all the way until it stops and hold. That is, turn it in the opposite direct of acceleration. It feels odd the first time you experience it and might give you the feeling it is revving up. Just troubleshooting; it can't hurt to try.

Last edited by GFVIII; 10-07-2017 at 02:20 PM.
Old 10-07-2017, 02:21 PM
sixguns
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,458 Likes on 755 Posts

Thats one of the symptoms of a failed clutch switch, the other symptom is the bike wont start in gear with the clutch lever pulled.

The following 2 users liked this post by sixguns:
Rokinrider (10-09-2017), Teufelhunden (10-07-2017)
Old 10-07-2017, 02:23 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,771 Likes on 17,440 Posts

Originally Posted by sixguns
Thats one of the symptoms of a failed clutch switch, the other symptom is the bike wont start in gear with the clutch lever pulled.
Funky clutch switch is why mines going in, thanks for that tip.

Old 10-07-2017, 06:32 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,492 Likes on 4,409 Posts

wife's Freewheeler is on it's 2nd clutch switch and it's acting up..my RK exhibits the same occasional wonky out of the blue randon rpm increase issue..only experienced 2-3 times in the year i've had it so just added it to my unexplained oil consumption & trans fluid xfer minor issues list to not be stressing over

Old 10-07-2017, 06:34 PM
FurryOne
Road Master
Received 127 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by sixguns
My '17 SGS does that quite a bit. I thought I was possibly turning the throttle a bit accidentally, but I wasn't. Where do you get the idea that it's a clutch switch failure? I ask because my clutch switch works fine - the bike starts in gear flawlessly with the clutch in. (And I don't see where it would have anything to do with engine RPMs.)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rev's up when coming to a stop question