Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmet comm and rider to rider comm options?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2017, 10:52 PM
Road Star
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 412 Likes on 250 Posts
Default Helmet comm and rider to rider comm options?

Best option for in-helmet audio and/or rider-to-rider communication for M8 Touring. Is it best to get Sena or the HD option? Whatever that is...

Old 10-19-2017, 12:26 AM
badcooky
Banned
Received 473 Likes on 370 Posts

BMW used to do good stuff.

Old 10-19-2017, 05:28 AM
Razwrld
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Was watching a video by LawAbidingBiker.com They said that the w.h.i.m by Harley and a Sena headset “stamped” by Harley would allow all controls of the Boom Box and stereo sound thru headset. Of course that would require to headsets and would be entirely “wireless”. Or.....use another system by Sena that would require putting in a 7pin din adapter(if your bike does not have one) and you can skip the harley WHIM system. Check out the video, it is free. I am going Harley all the way as I need a new headset anyway and they are going to get my money one way or another. Just my thoughts. Good luck.

Old 10-19-2017, 09:19 AM
FurryOne
Road Master
Received 127 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Road Star
Best option for in-helmet audio and/or rider-to-rider communication for M8 Touring. Is it best to get Sena or the HD option? Whatever that is...
If you have a bike with the Boom 6.5GT infotainment system, your best option is the H-D 20S EVO (over the Sena 20S EVO - Sena makes H-D's headsets), and online H-D's is actually a few dollars cheaper ($266).

If you decide in the future that you want to control the Boom functions via wireless Bluetooth, you'll find that the H-D version gives you better audio playback (Both the H-D, and the Sena require you to purchase an additional $250 module to interface with the bike - H-D's is more "integrated," being a module that fits inside the fairing where Sena's uses H-D's wired headset connector (a bit of a kludge).

caveat: Sena has announced a new model 30S to improve multiple bike to bike communications but there's no real info/reviews out yet. (H-D will probably offer their version sometime in the future.)

Last edited by FurryOne; 10-19-2017 at 09:24 AM.
Old 10-20-2017, 08:56 AM
DanBO18
Tourer
Received 127 Likes on 80 Posts

I don’t have any experience with them, but I’m getting ready to purchase. I’ve been holding out for the new Sena 30K next-gen bluetooth headset. It’s finally available so I’m about to order it. From the product description it’s a big step forward and certainly the brand itself isn’t risky. Why not get their latest? Right now 10% off at Revzilla. Btw I have a naked cruiser, no Boom! or anything. So I don’t know about integration but I’d imagine it interfacing would be fine and maybe even improved. Again it’s Sena so I can’t imagine they screwed the pooch. Reviews should be showing up soon.

Old 10-20-2017, 09:09 AM
Road Star
Seasoned HDF Member

Is there any way to get around the module hanging off the side of your helmet?

Old 10-20-2017, 07:33 PM
FurryOne
Road Master

Originally Posted by DanBO18
I don’t have any experience with them, but I’m getting ready to purchase. I’ve been holding out for the new Sena 30K next-gen bluetooth headset. It’s finally available so I’m about to order it. From the product description it’s a big step forward and certainly the brand itself isn’t risky. Why not get their latest? Right now 10% off at Revzilla. Btw I have a naked cruiser, no Boom! or anything. So I don’t know about integration but I’d imagine it interfacing would be fine and maybe even improved. Again it’s Sena so I can’t imagine they screwed the pooch. Reviews should be showing up soon.
From what I understand, Cardo was the first to market with the "mesh" network technology, and lots of people have mentioned that Sena's initial products are usually full of bugs. Since the group riding season is over in my area I can afford to wait to see how the market shakes out. Right now I have a fully functioning CB integrated into my '17SGS, and my '13FXSB is too loud to bother trying to hear anything.

Old 10-20-2017, 07:36 PM
FurryOne
Road Master

It looks like Cardo & Sena both mount their systems in the same area on your helmet - probably to get the antenna & electronics clear of engine interference. (and less wiring)

Old 10-20-2017, 07:38 PM
Road Star
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by FurryOne
It looks like Cardo & Sena both mount their systems in the same area on your helmet - probably to get the antenna & electronics clear of engine interference. (and less wiring)
Would be nice if they made it less conspicuous, so no one would know its on your helmet.

Old 10-20-2017, 08:34 PM
metalb00
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

nolan n44 helmets use a propitiatory set up that works great w other nolans, and the newest version uses universal intercom standard. Bell QUALIFIER DLX helmet uses the Sena SMH10 and Cardo Scala Rider Q1/Q3 intergrated into the shelli was told another sena is compatable w the bell, out of the 2 i was happier w the nolan the fit of the helmet and wind noise and the nolan b5 bluetooth was easier to use than the cardio q3 i had on the bell. but i wear a shoei with a 20s standard mount currently

Quick Reply: Helmet comm and rider to rider comm options?