Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission fluid transfer service bulletin

Old 12-08-2017, 12:50 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 701 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by Settertude
Question: why would the migration happen in some bikes and not others?

Seems like if it was a design flaw, it would show up in each bike.

What am I missing...mine is still not migrating at near 7K miles. Almost 6K miles since the 1000K change and it is still dead on at the top of the X.
Pure speculation on my part but I’ll bet it has more to do with how the bike is ridden than anything else.

Old 12-08-2017, 12:55 PM
Settertude
Cruiser
Received 58 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by stro1965
Pure speculation on my part but I’ll bet it has more to do with how the bike is ridden than anything else.
I've heard that bit about 5K revs and I admit to not being there often, but I rode 3200 miles from NH to Oklahoma the long way and for long periods ran at 90mph and above. 5K revs for any time at all is winding this puppy out. Never see the need. Just me, I guess.

Old 12-08-2017, 01:05 PM
ramblin5
Road Master

Received 216 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by stro1965
I think your speculation is dead on. Per Steve Cole in another thread:

If you want to make your 2017 M8 transfer fluid, its easy to do it. Check and set levels before the test so you know where your at. Run engine in the 4000 - 5500 RPM range while riding for 5 minutes of operation. You can do this in any gear you like but 2nd is just fine and your not pushing way to much vehicle speed in 2nd. You can do it on the dyno too if you have one, just place a small load on the bike < 5% is fine. Recheck fluid after testing and the transmission will be low. If left to itself and you operate at these RPM levels for longer periods of time it will transfer all but about 4 oz out of the transmission. I have done it in 2 - 4th gears and it makes no difference. It is completely RPM driven.

Old 12-08-2017, 01:20 PM
Settertude
Cruiser

Originally Posted by ramblin5

If you want to make your 2017 M8 transfer fluid, its easy to do it. Check and set levels before the test so you know where your at. Run engine in the 4000 - 5500 RPM range while riding for 5 minutes of operation. You can do this in any gear you like but 2nd is just fine and your not pushing way to much vehicle speed in 2nd. You can do it on the dyno too if you have one, just place a small load on the bike < 5% is fine. Recheck fluid after testing and the transmission will be low. If left to itself and you operate at these RPM levels for longer periods of time it will transfer all but about 4 oz out of the transmission. I have done it in 2 - 4th gears and it makes no difference. It is completely RPM driven.
So then--what is being said is that every M8 will do this and it is then a design flaw?
If this is the case, I will do the test and get it on record at the dealer just in case the problem gets worse down the road and begins to happen at lesser RPMs.

Old 12-08-2017, 01:41 PM
Settertude
Cruiser

Ha! I just called the dealer and they are now openly admitting the problem and willing to get my bike on record if I can show cause.
A month or so ago, they denied knowing anything about the issue.
That is progress. Basically, he said they are waiting for a recall.

Old 12-08-2017, 01:51 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 167 Likes on 108 Posts

I'm not sure that RPM is the only factor.

My bike transfers at the rate of about 2-3 ounces per 1,000 miles and I can't discern any difference in the transfer rate based on how I ride. I spend plenty of time in the 4,000 to rev limiter range when riding through canyons and the transfer appears no worse than when I'm cruising at 2,700 to 3,500 down the highway.

I've only got 4,000+ miles on the bike so I'll be learning more regarding transfer over time, but my observations to this point don't really point to riding conditions.

For those that cruise around at lower RPMs, say less than 2,500 or so, I can't make any comment. I never, or very rarely, run that slow.

I'm not discounting the findings of others, I'm just sharing my experience so far.

Last edited by 2black1s; 12-08-2017 at 01:54 PM.
Old 12-08-2017, 02:01 PM
doug62
Road Captain
Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Settertude
Ha! I just called the dealer and they are now openly admitting the problem and willing to get my bike on record if I can show cause.
A month or so ago, they denied knowing anything about the issue.
That is progress. Basically, he said they are waiting for a recall.
Just curious, what good is a recall if they don't know what's causing it and therefore how to fix it?

Old 12-08-2017, 02:08 PM
Settertude
Cruiser

Originally Posted by doug62
Just curious, what good is a recall if they don't know what's causing it and therefore how to fix it?
Yup...that was the conversation. No fix yet, just attempts.

Old 12-08-2017, 02:10 PM
Warrior 72
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ramblin5

After my bike had the "kit" installed by the HD engineer, my bike continued to have the migration issue. My dealership received an email and forwarded it to me form the engineer, it said that Harley thinks it happens when people operate the bike under 2500 RPM or lug the motor. So who's correct here, or should we just operate the motor between 2500 and 4000 RPM? This theory that the people who ride aggressively are somehow bringing this upon ourselves is purely laughable. If a major motorcycle company can't build a motorcycle that can operate over 4000 RPM or under 2500 RPM, maybe they should include that in their marketing campaigns.

Old 12-08-2017, 02:11 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 701 Likes on 349 Posts

I respect Steve Cole’s opinion BUT I disagree on this issue. I almost NEVER ride my bike above 4K for any length of time...maybe the occasional on ramp, but that’s about it.

What I do though, is compete in the cones on this bike. I’m constantly in the friction zone, clutch in and out all the time. Rarely leaves first gear while at an event. In 400 miles I moved 8 ounces over to the primary.

So while it may be rpm driven, I don’t doubt it, I think it’s also “clutch use” driven.

The following users liked this post:
Settertude (12-08-2017)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Transmission fluid transfer service bulletin