Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any regrets going SE Stage 2 or 3?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2017, 08:12 AM
PDB17UltraRG
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 773 Likes on 735 Posts

I am just going to wait Just read to much about problems after the stage upgrades. Maybe down the road they get better don’t think the performance will make it worth it now. May put on the cooling fan for now.

The following users liked this post:
Thingfish (10-15-2017)
Old 10-15-2017, 09:00 AM
SeanG
Cruiser
Received 42 Likes on 19 Posts

I’m about 1500 miles into my stage III... and no complaints at all. Runs like a beast and just sounds nasty!

The following 2 users liked this post by SeanG:
TexasD (10-17-2017), Thingfish (10-15-2017)
Old 10-15-2017, 11:09 AM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member
Received 911 Likes on 662 Posts

Posted this elsewhere, but some interesting results/findings on the M8 by DK. Sounds like the factory lean tune may be a thing of the past?

http://www.dkcustomproducts.com/milw...-dk-m8-rpt.htm

Puttnutt24 (10-16-2017)
Old 10-16-2017, 10:48 AM
StevieRay59
Tourer
Received 68 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by lyork
Stage 1 isn't worth it at all. That's kind of been beat to death here. Stage 2 torque cam is awfully nice. I'm stopping there
Stage 2 with torque cam on my new motor. So far 4000 miles later still working really well. Fuel Moto header, street cannon mufflers, KN air filter, powervison tuner and some auto tunes.

Last edited by StevieRay59; 10-16-2017 at 10:49 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by StevieRay59:
Super2k (12-28-2020), Thingfish (10-16-2017)
Old 10-16-2017, 11:59 AM
Tim Q
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stage III 6,000 miles. Runs great with no problems

Thingfish (10-16-2017)
Old 10-16-2017, 12:01 PM
DanBO18
Tourer
Received 127 Likes on 80 Posts

Stage I and II beginning today! Other mods too, so I don’t expect to see it until later in the week. Of course this doesn’t help you. And btw I got a smokin’ deal so the economics looked great. And if the motor smokes then every part, including the new parts, are covered by warranty. I feel like HD did their homework and it’ll be fine. Would be a lousy business model if they routinely blew up all their customers motors and had to just keep replacing them. Not that there haven’t been issues with some of the M8s, but this is 2nd year now and they’re dealing with those issues, hopefully. It’s a factory-developed cam and tune. This is not living on the edge. This is warranty-still-good territory.

I know more cubes with Stage III is better bang for the buck, but this is mostly for improved sound (though my stock exhaust has gotten so much louder lately I wonder if the SE will be quieter at first) because I’m happy with the power. But since there will be a power boost, the torque cam hits where I ride and I do expect to notice it. And the sound at idle should be a little better still.

If it really blows up my motor I can always tell them to not to put the torque cam back in when they give me a new motor, but I don’t believe that’s going to happen. And it’s so minimally intrusive to do it, I just said “yes”, add that too.

Thingfish (10-16-2017)
Old 10-16-2017, 12:30 PM
teedoff65
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,474 Likes on 1,061 Posts

Originally Posted by DanBO18
Stage I and II beginning today! Other mods too, so I don’t expect to see it until later in the week. Of course this doesn’t help you. And btw I got a smokin’ deal so the economics looked great. And if the motor smokes then every part, including the new parts, are covered by warranty. I feel like HD did their homework and it’ll be fine. Would be a lousy business model if they routinely blew up all their customers motors and had to just keep replacing them. Not that there haven’t been issues with some of the M8s, but this is 2nd year now and they’re dealing with those issues, hopefully. It’s a factory-developed cam and tune. This is not living on the edge. This is warranty-still-good territory.

I know more cubes with Stage III is better bang for the buck, but this is mostly for improved sound (though my stock exhaust has gotten so much louder lately I wonder if the SE will be quieter at first) because I’m happy with the power. But since there will be a power boost, the torque cam hits where I ride and I do expect to notice it. And the sound at idle should be a little better still.

If it really blows up my motor I can always tell them to not to put the torque cam back in when they give me a new motor, but I don’t believe that’s going to happen. And it’s so minimally intrusive to do it, I just said “yes”, add that too.
lol Sounds like you're trying to convince yourself your decision to upgrade to stage 3 will be fine and there's nothing to worry about.

Old 10-16-2017, 04:48 PM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member

Thanks for more feedback all. Nice to get an impression of all the folks with no issues.

DanBO18, your impression will come in right on time for me

I think you said what I'm thinking overall. I think the Canons will also get louder as they break in so your first impression may be underwhelmed from a sound perspective, but I think it'll get better.

Old 10-16-2017, 09:31 PM
Blue Tick
Road Master
Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

I have the stage 2 in my '17 RGS and I'm not that impressed. My bike already had these mods installed from the dealer at time of purchase and they made a great deal as well. IMO for the $$$ the dealers/HD charge/want for these kits you can get a much better deal going with another stage 2 from someone else. My bike puts out 92/107 with the 447 torque cam, however it is tuned with a powervision. My current plan is to ride this bike how it is until June/July and then I'm going to have a 120" kit from Fuel Moto installed.

Old 10-17-2017, 01:11 AM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Blue Tick
I have the stage 2 in my '17 RGS and I'm not that impressed. My bike already had these mods installed from the dealer at time of purchase and they made a great deal as well. IMO for the $$$ the dealers/HD charge/want for these kits you can get a much better deal going with another stage 2 from someone else. My bike puts out 92/107 with the 447 torque cam, however it is tuned with a powervision. My current plan is to ride this bike how it is until June/July and then I'm going to have a 120" kit from Fuel Moto installed.
Should be a lot of fun. For now I'm keeping the warranty until this new motor is more sussed out...or until I can't help myself.

Quick Reply: Any regrets going SE Stage 2 or 3?