Sponsored by:

Stage 3 or 4

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2017, 12:26 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,518 Likes on 4,422 Posts

Originally Posted by Oldskewl
Depending on the relationship you have with your dealer you may get a powertrain warranty in writing with a TTS tuner. It would be strictly from the dealer itself but they know damn well no matter which tuner you use it won't hurt the powertrain. This whole thing is horse ****.
only caveat is the MOCO is slapping dealerships with HUGE fines for using aftermarket non compliant tuners..our dealership service manager said they will not even consider doing that for customers unless the bikes already come in with those tuners having already been used

Old 12-11-2017, 12:41 PM
ghostrunner
Road Master
Received 322 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by MoparBob
Very interested to see how this combo turns out!
You’re not near as interested as I am. But will keep posting info i as know it. Without the smart tuner they weren’t sure if they could adjust enough. So will know end of week.

Old 12-12-2017, 10:16 AM
ghostrunner
Road Master
Received 322 Likes on 148 Posts

Just got call from dealer on my bike for the stage 4 with the 498 cam. He’s saying things didn’t want to hear. First off the MoCo doesn’t build a stage 4 kit with the 498 cam so if was found out they would void my warranty. My dealer doesn’t have a problem with it but if something happened out on the road would be a toss up. Second issue is they have looked at the pro tuner in conjunction with the smart tune and are pretty certain it won’t adjust enough for the change. They would have to load the tune for the stage 3 and hope the tuner would compensate for the bigger heads, injectors and throttle body. He feels that it can’t go that far. He’s still looking into it and will call back before we make any kind of decisions. Not happy camper right now.

Old 12-12-2017, 11:23 AM
Bannana Boat
Road Captain
Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

It's hard to alacart anything these days.

You could just buy the stage 3 if the cam is that more suitable to your driving. I believe the torque difference with the stage 4 is likely minimal, however there's probably a 10+ hp gain from the heads, TB and injectors.

Old 12-12-2017, 05:04 PM
Retrop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Jrman29
I have stage 2 which is ok . Dealer will give me deal on stage 3 or 4 during the winter. Is it worth spending the extra money on the stage 4.
Depends whether or not you are looking for trouble.

Old 12-13-2017, 08:39 AM
cruisinmann
Road Warrior
Received 1,807 Likes on 627 Posts

I wouldn't gains for money spent is minimal and if you have no problems don't make any

Old 12-27-2017, 01:30 AM
Nelsondude
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

there would be no mapping issues with either setup if you just get it dyno'd after and its tuned better than any stock map will give you...

Old 05-29-2018, 03:33 PM
SPA
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stage 4 built with a Stage 3 (498) cam

Originally Posted by ghostrunner
Just got call from dealer on my bike for the stage 4 with the 498 cam. He’s saying things didn’t want to hear. First off the MoCo doesn’t build a stage 4 kit with the 498 cam so if was found out they would void my warranty. My dealer doesn’t have a problem with it but if something happened out on the road would be a toss up. Second issue is they have looked at the pro tuner in conjunction with the smart tune and are pretty certain it won’t adjust enough for the change. They would have to load the tune for the stage 3 and hope the tuner would compensate for the bigger heads, injectors and throttle body. He feels that it can’t go that far. He’s still looking into it and will call back before we make any kind of decisions. Not happy camper right now.
how did you make out using the 498 cam in the Stage 4 up build?

Old 05-29-2018, 04:33 PM
SPA
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ghost rider is- how did you make out with the 498 cam in the stage 4 uobuild?

Originally Posted by Nelsondude
there would be no mapping issues with either setup if you just get it dyno'd after and its tuned better than any stock map will give you...
[QUOTE=ghostrunner;16900201]My bike is in the shop right for going to the stage 4 but am keeping stage 3 cam in it. Dealer definitely agrees the 515 moves the torque in the wrong direction for a touring bike. They are also installing the smart tune on it too. They are very excited to see how it turns out using the 498 cam in the stage 4 with smart tune. They’ve never done this before but was hoping to get the chance to try cuz some have complained about not getting torque where they needed the most. Plus I’m first also for smart tune being in the past it wasn’t leagal in all 50 states but is now. Supposed to be done end

Old 06-03-2018, 09:16 AM
artsbest
Tourer
Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

Personally I would tell HD to cram their so called stage kits. Go 3rd party, forget the warranty and get some real numbers out of your engine. But that's me.

The following users liked this post:
nick@nite (08-25-2018)

Quick Reply: Stage 3 or 4