Sponsored by:

Transmission Oil Loss '18 Harleys

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2018, 03:55 PM
GPHDXLC
Grand HDF Member
Received 345 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by StevenL808
I am one of the riders who has been seriously affected by this transfer issue.

At around 1,500k miles, I had my bike serviced under the service bulletin TA00022 (replacing the crankshaft seal and spacer). Soon after that I would experience a transfer of about 14 oz of transmission fluid about every 300 miles. Each time, I've been taking it back to my dealer and having them adjust the fluid levels of the transmission and primary. Each time they documented how much fluid transferred and the mileage. After about the 4th time of taking it back for fluid adjustments, the motor company sent a tech to examine my bike.

I met with the tech today and he said he installed what looks like a small plastic disc about 2" in diameter on the transmission side of the clutch push rod, right where the hydraulic clutch actuator meets the clutch push rod. The idea is that it will block excess fluid of traveling down the clutch push rod to the primary. He then rode my bike for about 200 miles at both highway speed and though city traffic. He returned to the shop and there was no transfer at all! Based on my track record, there would have been some transfer.

I now have that task of riding it and bringing it back in 1000 miles to have them check it. Only time will tell, but it looks promising!

My theory seems to have been validated. The fluid was traveling down the clutch push rod and into the primary. I further believe that since I do a lot of city riding (I commute 20 miles a day to/from work) this action was acting like a "pump" and causing it to transfer. Unlike someone who would pull the clutch a few times and ride for 50+ miles before pulling the clutch again.
Keep us up-dated Thanks.

Old 02-06-2018, 02:33 PM
fwj
Advanced
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Any softails experiencing transfer? Any dyno tuners here who can share their experiences with the M8 softails?

Old 02-06-2018, 05:07 PM
tbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 690 Likes on 465 Posts

Maybe they will give us a extended warranty like the clutch recall! And then I woke up...

Old 02-07-2018, 06:54 AM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 265 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by tbob
Maybe they will give us a extended warranty like the clutch recall! And then I woke up...
I guess they could do that, but how can they warranty something they can't fix to begin with?

Would they guarantee that you'll just get the same lame BS, empty promises and the same ol' standard MoCo runaround for a longer period of time?

Maybe...

Last edited by jpooch00; 02-07-2018 at 06:56 AM.
Old 02-07-2018, 06:34 PM
Redrodyankneck
Stellar HDF Member
Received 829 Likes on 496 Posts

Originally Posted by jpooch00
I guess they could do that, but how can they warranty something they can't fix to begin with?

Would they guarantee that you'll just get the same lame BS, empty promises and the same ol' standard MoCo runaround for a longer period of time?

Maybe...
Same old lame BS from an old man.....again and again and again......
Does the J in pooch stand for Johnny One Note?

The following users liked this post:
neon65 (02-08-2018)
Old 02-08-2018, 07:00 AM
BigRed117
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,049 Likes on 557 Posts

Nope narry a problem.

Old 03-17-2018, 02:43 PM
reddog8145
Road Captain
Received 44 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by StevenL808
I am one of the riders who has been seriously affected by this transfer issue.

At around 1,500k miles, I had my bike serviced under the service bulletin TA00022 (replacing the crankshaft seal and spacer). Soon after that I would experience a transfer of about 14 oz of transmission fluid about every 300 miles. Each time, I've been taking it back to my dealer and having them adjust the fluid levels of the transmission and primary. Each time they documented how much fluid transferred and the mileage. After about the 4th time of taking it back for fluid adjustments, the motor company sent a tech to examine my bike.

I met with the tech today and he said he installed what looks like a small plastic disc about 2" in diameter on the transmission side of the clutch push rod, right where the hydraulic clutch actuator meets the clutch push rod. The idea is that it will block excess fluid of traveling down the clutch push rod to the primary. He then rode my bike for about 200 miles at both highway speed and though city traffic. He returned to the shop and there was no transfer at all! Based on my track record, there would have been some transfer.

I now have that task of riding it and bringing it back in 1000 miles to have them check it. Only time will tell, but it looks promising!

My theory seems to have been validated. The fluid was traveling down the clutch push rod and into the primary. I further believe that since I do a lot of city riding (I commute 20 miles a day to/from work) this action was acting like a "pump" and causing it to transfer. Unlike someone who would pull the clutch a few times and ride for 50+ miles before pulling the clutch again.
I had a tech carry out work on my bike in Jan. I told my dealer that I thought the issue was with the clutch rod as I noticed that when riding in heavy traffic I had quite a bit of transfer. I took my bike out for the first time earlier in the week and covered a 100 miles, some in stop start traffic, no transfer as yet so fingers crossed, only time will tell. Check out the thread” who’s been having to add transmission fluid “ for a more in-depth look at the problem. Hope you have no further issues

Ride safe

Old 03-21-2018, 11:32 AM
ChromeJunkie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,797 Likes on 1,674 Posts

I’m glad I found this thread and got a heads up on this issue. I’m taking delivery on my 2018 RGU tomorrow and will definitely keep an eye on tranny fluid.

Old 03-21-2018, 11:53 AM
tbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 690 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by ChromeJunkie
I’m glad I found this thread and got a heads up on this issue. I’m taking delivery on my 2018 RGU tomorrow and will definitely keep an eye on tranny fluid.
I check mine and have had on issues yet. I bought a Warranty and will just ride and enjoy.

Old 03-21-2018, 06:35 PM
Peace Frog
Cruiser
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

I have 6020 miles on mine and no issues...

Quick Reply: Transmission Oil Loss '18 Harleys