Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Something else to check

Old 11-03-2017, 09:29 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,779 Likes on 17,441 Posts
Exclamation Something else to check

I'm backing out of the garage the other morning and I notice some oil spots on the floor , crap.... Later as I'm checking it over I find the cause, on the front of the cam case behind the front pipe and the brake pedal lever there's a fitting going to the oil cooler with one of those cheesy spring clamps. Dealer did the check on the oil cooler lines & clamps as per the service bulletin but seems they neglect to look 6 inches further to this point. So heads up, something else we M8 owners need to look at.

The following 3 users liked this post by TwiZted Biker:
not a sock (11-04-2017), SomeOld Biker (11-03-2017), Thingfish (11-04-2017)
Old 11-03-2017, 09:46 PM
SomeOld Biker
Road Master
Received 268 Likes on 202 Posts

I take a mirror and flashlight and look under the bike at least once a week. No leaks and keeping an eye on trans level.

Old 11-03-2017, 09:55 PM
sixguns
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,458 Likes on 755 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
I'm backing out of the garage the other morning and I notice some oil spots on the floor , crap.... Later as I'm checking it over I find the cause, on the front of the cam case behind the front pipe and the brake pedal lever there's a fitting going to the oil cooler with one of those cheesy spring clamps. Dealer did the check on the oil cooler lines & clamps as per the service bulletin but seems they neglect to look 6 inches further to this point. So heads up, something else we M8 owners need to look at.
The 18's have changed to a crimp clamp there, sounds like it was for good reason.

The following users liked this post:
Thingfish (11-04-2017)
Old 11-03-2017, 09:59 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,492 Likes on 4,409 Posts

that one leaked on mine a week into taking ownership..they replaced the hose and clamp and 16,000 miles later all has been well..i had the fan assist oil cooler put on last Winter and they didn't replace the hoses..didn't really need to..what they told me was the clamp was resting on the flange so it wasn't installed properly from the factory

The following users liked this post:
Thingfish (11-04-2017)
Old 11-04-2017, 07:43 PM
not a sock
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 983 Likes on 551 Posts

Thanks for the heads up...............

Old 11-04-2017, 10:03 PM
TedMan
Road Warrior
Received 230 Likes on 145 Posts

good lord, it seems this is on and on. I think I'll check back when we get to the 2019 models.

Old 11-05-2017, 10:07 AM
psyshack
Road Warrior
Received 363 Likes on 266 Posts

Would that be the spring clamp junk behind the oil pressure switch? Mine started leaking. Put a little hose clamp on it, leak is gone.

My M8 wants to leak like a shovel, look like a evo with pop knot knuckles and rattle like a twin cam. Pure HD.

Old 11-05-2017, 10:37 AM
Steel Wheels
Road Master
Received 296 Likes on 167 Posts

Ditto to Psyshack - repl’d with a worm clamp and issue solved. Like some others I installed the fan assisted cooler, so most clamps were replaced already. No big deal. Build date on mine was 11/16.

An aside: I posted awhile back that my transfer problem had stopped. Turns out there IS still some going on. I’ll have to start watching updates on this again it appears. Damn.

Old 11-05-2017, 10:45 AM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,779 Likes on 17,441 Posts

Yeah we had a rain day Sat. so I did the worm clamp instead of bothering with the dealer run around, just annoying as all get out you need to play these games with a newish 20K motorcycle.

Old 11-05-2017, 10:54 AM
nobodyknowsme
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 14,644 Likes on 6,421 Posts

Yeah we had a rain day Sat. so I did the worm clamp instead of bothering with the dealer run around, just annoying as all get out you need to play these games with a newish 20K motorcycle.
Would you mind elaborating for those of us that are more than somewhat mechanically challenged?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Something else to check