Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why do the 2018 tour bikes NOT use the new hybrid Softail Dyna frame?

Old 02-06-2018, 09:43 AM
load97
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 112 Likes on 99 Posts

Can't be done LMFAO.

The following users liked this post:
Campy Roadie (02-06-2018)
Old 02-06-2018, 01:04 PM
Dynamick
Not a Moderator!
Received 6,626 Likes on 3,211 Posts

Originally Posted by TriGeezer
What’s the obsession over frames all about?
True, the frame isn't a "sexy" part of a motorcycle. Most of it can't be seen as it's covered by other parts. But it has a lot more to do with the riding dynamics of a bike than people realize. Get it wrong and you can screw up an otherwise good design.

Campy Roadie (02-06-2018)
Old 02-07-2018, 10:54 AM
dceggert
Road Master
Received 495 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by jd05flhtci
Any info to back this statement up would be appreciated by all the inquiring minds
This is actually quite funny....required 'proof' in a thread started on pure speculation of 2019.

Old 02-11-2018, 04:04 PM
G'day
Cruiser
Received 68 Likes on 30 Posts

It is great that we all get so passionate about what Harley may do next or not. I think we all agree that no one here knows what will happen. But we can have fun speculating. So here is my take.

New Softail chassis is 34% stiffer and 20% lighter than the old. Harley has not yet promoted the 2017 chassis in similar light. Like some of you, I too agree that 2017 touring frame was an ‘update’ but at no stage can we say it was a ‘brand new, ground up redesigned frame’. With the new Softail frame getting so much attention, I think customers may expect a brand new frame for touring bikes too.

Couple of other things...

Rear suspension on touring chassis is old tech. We have a swing arm with two shockers but only one side does the job and the other side just looks pretty? Would it not twist the swing arm doing that under heavy load (big bumps)? In MoCo’s own way, they are saying mono shock is the best solution. To make it work properly, it has to be placed under the seat, like the Softail chassis.

Also, if Harley is to look ahead, they have to realise that younger generation is taller. Even an Indian is longer. It is time Harley stretched the chassis a little. More room, more comfort.

So for all these reasons, I think a new touring frame is on the horizon. It may not be here for 2019 MY but it is inevitable in my humble opinion.

On a side note, I also believe the fairings need redesign OR at least add a new fairing to the Street Glide and Road Glide and see how they sell.

With the oil pump issues, fluid migration issues, Harley would have taken a hit on sales. Get all of these fixed for 2019MY and reignite the interest with a new chassis and new fairing or two and we might see a jump in sales again. Only time will tell.

Old 01-23-2019, 04:02 PM
vinnib
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The new Softail frames are in no way a "Dyna / Softail hybrid". They are still very much a Softail frame and swingarm, yet utilize at mono-shock design which is mounted under the seat.

Old 01-23-2019, 05:23 PM
splattttttt
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 430 Likes on 379 Posts

a mono shock placed in this position is ery advantageous in more ways than one.
You’ll get no argument from me there. But as far as the MoCo’s concerned. In this matter, tradition is not a factor.
There are some design fewtures that still remain. Looks like they are trying their best to live up to standard that is theirs and only theirs. But for me its a little to bland. Or should I say common?

Old 01-23-2019, 10:33 PM
Fullbore55
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,632 Likes on 1,226 Posts

Originally Posted by Nomadmax
I think you're right. Previous frame changes be damned; HD is struggling. Moving the Softails into the Touring facility is the first step. One engine, one frame; that's how HD is gonna cut costs.

ANY expert who thinks HD won't do this based solely on the fact that "the Softail frame won't be sufficient for a Touring bike" doesn't understand how HD operates; especially in hard times. Harley has been selling barely capable for a long time, in fact, nobody does it better. "Make it your own" is Harley for "We saved money so pay up, BTW here's a catalog". Don't believe it? What other brand has it's own aftermarket industry (as big as HD) to correct flaws?
So NoMadMax, when rya gonna take nuther sip o koolade and upgrade to M8?

Old 01-24-2019, 04:49 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

Originally Posted by Fullbore55

So NoMadMax, when rya gonna take nuther sip o koolade and upgrade to M8?
To be honest, I'd say in another 5 years. I don't think Harley will ever get it sorted out like the aftermarket will. That amount of time will let that happen and provide me with a good selection of lightly used, de-valued machines. I'll never buy another motorcycle from Harley Davidson that needs something the day it's rolled out of the showroom. Other manufacturers seem to be able to do it so Harley needs to step up instead of falling back on "but it's a Harley". That dog has ceased to hunt.

LXT (01-24-2019)
Old 01-24-2019, 05:26 AM
splattttttt
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 430 Likes on 379 Posts

“Devalued”?
That’s what you think.
Used harley bikes will be the next ig finacial boom.
like pennies that sell for a million dollars

Old 01-24-2019, 11:28 AM
scottt
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 164 Likes on 104 Posts

My bet; you'll see a completely new touring frame in 2020, no later than 2021.

the current frame is not competitive with other touring bikes. Harley keeps loosing sales to other brands and MUST update to stop the bleeding.

the updated frame will be a mono shock design, vastly improving handling, comfort along with less weight. Within 3 years Harley will offer electronic adjustment. The competition has it now.

Harley can no longer count on it's faithful to keep them the leader. They actually need competitive products.

sadly, touring bikes with the current frames will take a big hit in value when this occurs. Similar to what happened to pre-rushmore models when the rushmore came out.

time will tell uf im right

The following 2 users liked this post by scottt:
Another Old Timer (01-24-2019), Campy Roadie (01-25-2019)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Why do the 2018 tour bikes NOT use the new hybrid Softail Dyna frame?