Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My theory as to why some M8s are sumping.

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2017, 11:53 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,246 Likes on 3,624 Posts

[QUOTE=ghostrunner;16838939]
Originally Posted by Max Headflow
As already mentioned, it's really a combination of parts that causes the issue.. Some twincams had issue with oil blowing to the breathers while others did not.. Same thing. You got a good one..

So I’m taking it from this discussion it’s really a mystery what the combination of parts causing this is yet?

Well, It appear the most common issue seems to be a stage 3 or 4 kit brings it out.. I think that someone might have mentioned that a 107 did have the issue but there may have been something else wrong there.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/milwa...-oil-pump.html

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/milwa...ddressing.html

Old 11-18-2017, 12:16 PM
ghostrunner
Road Master
Received 322 Likes on 148 Posts

[QUOTE=Max Headflow;16839010]
Originally Posted by ghostrunner

Well, It appear the most common issue seems to be a stage 3 or 4 kit brings it out.. I think that someone might have mentioned that a 107 did have the issue but there may have been something else wrong there.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/milwa...-oil-pump.html

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/milwa...ddressing.html
If the stage 3 or 4 kit brings it out then i should be in that category cuz my bike was the first that my dealer put together. The kit they used was the first kit they got when the new bikes came out. Since then they have built somewhere around 20 of them. Oddly the only one they had the sumping issue with was a stock bike.

Old 11-18-2017, 12:21 PM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru
Received 3,425 Likes on 1,573 Posts

I have been told by several dealerships they have had the factory 107, 114 and now 2018 117 engines all sump. So it appears that they will do it in stock OEM trim. Now add the SE Stage III or IV and they appear to do it even more. The Stage cylinders are a bigger factor in these applications as I have yet to see a Stage III or IV cylinder that was round. They have a combination of things wrong and I pointed out what I have seen wrong within the engine. There are simple fixes they should do at the manufacturing level and I would be willing to bet the sumpping issues would be gone. Trying to make a better pump to cover up the other defects is just a poor choice IMHO as sooner or later it's going to bite you in the a$$.

In racing we run as many as 5 suction stages based on where we need oil removed from, so 2 stages is no big deal and it was being done long before Dan added it and long before I started working on engines back in 1965. I believe the roots for the dry sump go all the way back to the 1930's in aircraft, possible before that.

Old 11-18-2017, 01:12 PM
Msquad
Road Captain
Received 173 Likes on 120 Posts

I bought my bike September 0f 2017 and it was built same month. As soon as it came in the stage 3 kit was put in. I have had the oil sensor problem which was replaced. Since then 10,000 miles and no more problems.
My bike was bought same time and stage 3 also. I have had a little bit of trans fluid transfer. Have not noticed real sumping either. But what is this oil sensor problem? I missed this one?

On a side note, my crank position sensor was leaking oil and I replaced the o-ring. That didn't help. Had to put a little RTV to make it stop leaking.

Old 11-18-2017, 02:41 PM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,741 Likes on 931 Posts

Originally Posted by Yamaharley
I told you guys!! Its Obama's fault the bikes are sumping!
With a user name like "Yamaharley" I'm sure you're just the kind of person he was alluding to, making up commie stories about Harleys with sumping and transfer problems. I would bet that you're even colluding with the Russians on this misinformation campaign. FALSE NEWS! You might even be an undercover Indian and Victory lover!

Old 11-18-2017, 02:44 PM
ghostrunner
Road Master
Received 322 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Msquad
My bike was bought same time and stage 3 also. I have had a little bit of trans fluid transfer. Have not noticed real sumping either. But what is this oil sensor problem? I missed this one?

On a side note, my crank position sensor was leaking oil and I replaced the o-ring. That didn't help. Had to put a little RTV to make it stop leaking.
Oil light was coming on and into center would say check oil. Replaced sensor twice before problem quit. Supposedly was told had a batch of bad ones

Old 11-18-2017, 04:06 PM
Msquad
Road Captain
Received 173 Likes on 120 Posts

Oil light was coming on and into center would say check oil. Replaced sensor twice before problem quit. Supposedly was told had a batch of bad ones
Thanks for the info. I guess I got to pass up this one.

I know it shouldn't be happening at all, but I'd rather have some trans migration than the sumping. I've always used Primary plus in both trans and primary so don't have to worry about mixing but it has been minimal. At least it won't fry my engine like sumping.

Old 11-19-2017, 06:17 PM
Kyle Moore
Road Master
Received 224 Likes on 153 Posts

Isn’t it nice when the trolls don’t come around and we get good info? I’m wondering if it’s not happening that much and we’re all just hyper aware of it happening because we don’t want anything to happen to our 25,000 dollar motor cycles. I have 4500 miles on mine, no issues at all....I didn’t do the “baby it for 500 miles” break In though, I had a 400 mile ride home so I did 85mph all night.

The following users liked this post:
GPHDXLC (11-19-2017)
Old 11-22-2017, 12:36 PM
Fat11Lo
Road Warrior
Received 470 Likes on 250 Posts

This theory of many contributing factors keeping in balance makes the most sense to me and IMO explains why the issue isn't resolved with one update or revision. Reminds me of a PC360 Komatsu I used to have, one part of the equation fell out of balance and the whole re-gen system would start to snowball into a huge mess. Dealer ended up buying that one back from us.

My question is although it wouldn't alleviate the design flaws, would this motor benefit from a dual scavenge pump like the Thayer or the TC3

Old 11-22-2017, 03:05 PM
SpringerRider
Road Captain
Received 191 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Nomadmax
MJ you are not a pessimist. You bought and paid for an expensive motorcycle and you have a right to expect to do what others do; without having to do someone else's R&D.

I will say this. There's a certain contingent of M8 owners that constantly rat pack folks on this forum who even mention they're having a problem. It's like in some twisted idiotic way they think if they gang bang and shout down somebody who has an issue that they'll never have trouble with theirs. Many times, it seems like they come from riding different brands other than HD so they still have a lot to learn about how the Moco does R&D; IE let the customer do it and then let the aftermarket solve it. I'm not wishing trouble on anyone but it wouldn't hurt my feelings one bit if new model issues ran them back to whatever brand they came from or pontoon boats and jet skis.
Yeah I've seen that. I call it "millennial think". The basis for all poilitical correctness.

The following users liked this post:
Campy Roadie (11-23-2017)

Quick Reply: My theory as to why some M8s are sumping.