Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I am challenged with the new bike.....

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2017, 10:52 AM
Road Star
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 412 Likes on 250 Posts

I ran across the same thing when my GF was riding with me 2-up. Really depends on the passengers weight, the more she weighs the harder it is to balance the weight. Don't know what your situation is, however, my GF is now riding her own bike.

Old 11-18-2017, 12:27 PM
nobodyknowsme
Banned

Received 14,656 Likes on 6,424 Posts

Originally Posted by Road Star
I ran across the same thing when my GF was riding with me 2-up. Really depends on the passengers weight, the more she weighs the harder it is to balance the weight. Don't know what your situation is, however, my GF is now riding her own bike.
This is the only possible relevant factor I can think of. My wife hits the scale at 112 so I barely notice her on the bike plus she knows not to be moving around. As far as the weight of the TP, don't get it. I have a detachable for the Road King and don't notice anything taking it off or putting it on. Perhaps it is just a mental thing OP has to overcome? Best of luck. Not going to write a book here on what should and should not be done with a passenger as I would usually give the average rider the benefit of the doubt regarding common sense.

Old 11-19-2017, 05:18 AM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,561 Likes on 5,153 Posts

You do understand the weight thing is mostly in your head, not that big a difference.
Two things to look at that will give you much better control a low speeds.
Extended rear brake pedal. It drops the angle gives you better control a low speed.
Adjustable clutch lever. It allows you to bring the engagement point in closer, again improving low speed control.
I ride a 2017 RGU and I am 1 inch shorter and lighter than you are.

Old 11-19-2017, 06:35 AM
tbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 690 Likes on 465 Posts

It's pretty common with the weight of the fairing mounted to the forks.

Old 11-19-2017, 06:54 AM
brinks13081
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by heavymetalthunder
The bikes more top heavy with the tour-pac. Esp 2up. I had trouble with the passenger floorboards or back seat riders boot hitting me in the calf's. I put on some passenger pegs and that solved that problem. I stopped using the front brake below 5 mph. I use the rear only to come to a complete stop. Made the stop more stable. That front brake by itself will dump you fast.
The thing that helped me the most was picking up the"Ride like a pro" video and practicing.
Listen to this guy!

Old 11-19-2017, 07:16 AM
JHC210
Club Member
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by heavymetalthunder
The bikes more top heavy with the tour-pac. Esp 2up. I had trouble with the passenger floorboards or back seat riders boot hitting me in the calf's. I put on some passenger pegs and that solved that problem. I stopped using the front brake below 5 mph. I use the rear only to come to a complete stop. Made the stop more stable. That front brake by itself will dump you fast.
The thing that helped me the most was picking up the"Ride like a pro" video and practicing.
I use both front and rear brakes but will try just the rear when coming to a stop. I do think a lot is in my head. Need more miles now. Thanks to all for the feedback. Now to get back out there.....

Old 11-19-2017, 08:23 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,505 Likes on 4,415 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam D.
Make sure your rear shock Pre Load is adjusted to for 2up
this..too soft *** end squats making front end lighter and it wanders...try maxing out the preload before next ride, bet you notice a big difference..then adjust accordingly after that

Old 11-19-2017, 09:12 AM
PDB17UltraRG
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 773 Likes on 735 Posts

Riding two up for the first time can be hairy its just takes practice like everything else. Just keep riding get use to the bike yourself. Like mentioned my others set up shocks for the right load and go for it Enjoy Ride a Lot Ride Safe.

Old 11-19-2017, 01:22 PM
Kyle Moore
Road Master
Received 224 Likes on 153 Posts

having 150ish lbs on top of the bike suddenly changes the center of gravity. Just keep riding with her, you'll get the hang of it. I always gotta pause for a sec and kinda re learn how to stop when my wife jumps on my bike, once you get used to riding solo all the time and you throw another adult on the bike your brain has to reset.

Old 11-19-2017, 03:39 PM
Suidae
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

All the advice here is good. I have been riding with the wife for 38 years, she is six inches taller and a few pounds heavier (she doesn't read this, but why chance it?).
She "chair dances" going down the highway, but on the city streets I can barely tell she's there.
Practice makes perfect. I use the rear brake for the last few feet of a routine stop, and although it's been many years since I've had too, remind the passenger to pay attention.
If I lean, you lean. If I fall, you fall. We're in this together.

Attached Thumbnails I am challenged with the new bike.....-fb_img_1511127060602.jpg  

Quick Reply: I am challenged with the new bike.....