Sponsored by:

Fueling oil pump

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2017, 05:44 PM
Kyle Moore
Road Master
Received 224 Likes on 153 Posts
Default Fueling oil pump

Anyone bought one of these? Is there anyway to tell if my oil pump in my M8 is one that could fail? What exactly is failing in them? I was just doing some research on cams and stuff and ran into the fueling oil pump, I didn’t know there was an aftermarket upgrade for the pump. I’m surprised no one else has one, I’m guessing maybe it’s not happening as much as it seems, otherwise HD would be having them changed out under warranty instead of changing engines but who knows.

Old 11-19-2017, 06:01 PM
martin10
Road Warrior
Received 504 Likes on 327 Posts

If you are speaking about the sumping issues, hd is on their 3rd version of the oil pump. Some early versions have not sumped. Some with the 3rd version have. So I would not be buying an after market pump in the hopes it will solve the issue. Because it might not. My guess is the actual number who are having problems is small. And until the root cause is determined I would not buy an after market pump just in case. But that's just me.

Last edited by martin10; 11-19-2017 at 06:03 PM.
Old 11-19-2017, 06:20 PM
Kyle Moore
Road Master

Originally Posted by martin10
If you are speaking about the sumping issues, hd is on their 3rd version of the oil pump. Some early versions have not sumped. Some with the 3rd version have. So I would not be buying an after market pump in the hopes it will solve the issue. Because it might not. My guess is the actual number who are having problems is small. And until the root cause is determined I would not buy an after market pump just in case. But that's just me.
Oh I’m not buying it, just wondering if anyone had. I was looking into different cams and ran into it. I agree with you, I’m not putting anything to jeapordize my warranty on my bike until the sumping issue is solved or I’m confident it’s not gonna happen to my bike.

Old 11-19-2017, 06:22 PM
Kyle Moore
Road Master

I was just reading on the sumping thread and sounds like excessive leak down could be a major contributor to the problem. Which definetly solidified my decision to wait until my warranty is close to over before I do a Fuel Moto big bore and cam.

Old 11-19-2017, 07:31 PM
psyshack
Road Warrior
Received 363 Likes on 266 Posts

I will be buying a Fueling or S&S. The Fueling pump as of last week was not out yet for public purchase. And S&S wont even talk about what there time line is on a oil pump muchless a crate M8 engine.

Old 11-19-2017, 08:03 PM
SoZo
Cruiser
Received 37 Likes on 25 Posts

I am purchasing the Feuling HP+ as soon as it is out.
I keep bugging them weekly about it, they said unfortunately January... Maybe...
I am about to tear into my motor.... Have everything ready to go EXCEPT an oil pump!!!

Old 11-19-2017, 08:14 PM
Kyle Moore
Road Master

Originally Posted by psyshack
I will be buying a Fueling or S&S. The Fueling pump as of last week was not out yet for public purchase. And S&S wont even talk about what there time line is on a oil pump muchless a crate M8 engine.
I have been looking at the 465 cam from SS. I’m not even gonna bother with SE parts. I just got my bike 3 months ago so I’m not in a hurry to void my warranty but probably after next riding season I’ll dig into it. Gonna do a pump while I’m in there.

Old 11-19-2017, 08:22 PM
Doshounds
Tourer
Received 161 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Kyle Moore
I was just reading on the sumping thread and sounds like excessive leak down could be a major contributor to the problem. Which definetly solidified my decision to wait until my warranty is close to over before I do a Fuel Moto big bore and cam.
Based on the information I have read the Aftermarket big bore kits MAY correct the issue. According to some experienced industry insiders, some of the Harley Stage 3 and 4 jugs were not perfectly round. This could contribute to blow by and excessive leakdown. When Fuel Moto tore down their first M8 they noticed a cylinder that showed signs of blow by due to rings not seated to the bore correctly. The aftermarket will correct the issues before Harley will I am afraid. The Fueling oil pump and Cam Plate is just the beginning. Although, I wouldn't bet it is the cure all for sumping in the M8.

Old 11-19-2017, 08:27 PM
Kyle Moore
Road Master

Originally Posted by Doshounds
Based on the information I have read the Aftermarket big bore kits MAY correct the issue. According to some experienced industry insiders, some of the Harley Stage 3 and 4 jugs were not perfectly round. This could contribute to blow by and excessive leakdown. When Fuel Moto tore down their first M8 they noticed a cylinder that showed signs of blow by due to rings not seated to the bore correctly. The aftermarket will correct the issues before Harley will I am afraid. The Fueling oil pump and Cam Plate is just the beginning. Although, I wouldn't bet it is the cure all for sumping in the M8.
It actually makes a lot of sense, you start foaming up the oil and the pump will not like it. It’s true for any motor. I ran mine hard on break In, I had to ride it 400 miles home. I took it easy for the first 50, pulled over, checked for leaks, let it cool off a bit. Then hauled *** home. My motor hasn’t burned a drop
Of oil in 4500 miles (knock on wood). I am also interested in doing a Fuel Moto 117 kit with the wm8777 cam. It has a big fat power band and is a prettt cost effective build. The 465 makes the torque of a bigger motor but lacks on horsepower.

Haha damnit now I really want that big bore kit.

Last edited by Kyle Moore; 11-19-2017 at 08:36 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Doshounds (11-19-2017)
Old 11-19-2017, 08:36 PM
Doshounds
Tourer
Received 161 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Kyle Moore
It actually makes a lot of sense, you start foaming up the oil and the pump will not like it. It’s true for any motor. I ran mine hard on break In, I had to ride it 400 miles home. I took it easy for the first 50, pulled over, checked for leaks, let it cool off a bit. Then hauled *** home. My motor hasn’t burned a drop
Of oil in 4500 miles (knock on wood). I am also interested in doing a Fuel Moto 117 kit with the wm8777 cam. It has a big fat power band and is a prettt cost effective build. The 465 makes the torque of a bigger motor but lacks on horsepower.
My Stage 4 Road Glide hasn't used any oil in first 500 miles. I am hoping I got a "good" set of cylinders. Lol. I plan to do a big bore kit on my Road King. Waiting to see what the aftermarket comes up with. Dragos is doing some wicked things with the M8.

The following users liked this post:
Kyle Moore (11-19-2017)

Quick Reply: Fueling oil pump