Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear fender taillight removal

Old 11-24-2017, 06:27 PM
Road Star
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 412 Likes on 250 Posts
Default Rear fender taillight removal

Has anyone disassembled the rear taillight on the Road Glide? Not sure how difficult this is. Looking to install my seat lock - hoping I can reach in between the fender and tire.

Last edited by Road Star; 11-24-2017 at 06:28 PM.
Old 11-24-2017, 06:55 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,356 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Originally Posted by Road Star
Has anyone disassembled the rear taillight on the Road Glide? Not sure how difficult this is. Looking to install my seat lock - hoping I can reach in between the fender and tire.
Put it up on a jack. Tight but do-able

Old 11-24-2017, 09:15 PM
Quik
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,572 Likes on 1,524 Posts

Seat lock.....you live on the bad side of town or something?

Old 11-24-2017, 09:33 PM
Road Star
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Quik
Seat lock.....you live on the bad side of town or something?
No. It is a deterrent and it also works as a helmet lock. If I do park my bike somewhere, it's nice to have that extra bit of security. Heard some stories about people getting their seats stolen.

Old 11-25-2017, 12:00 AM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,729 Likes on 926 Posts

Originally Posted by Road Star
No. It is a deterrent and it also works as a helmet lock. If I do park my bike somewhere, it's nice to have that extra bit of security. Heard some stories about people getting their seats stolen.
The hardest part of taking the taillight off is disconnecting the wiring, it’s a little hard to get to the releases on the connectors. You shouldn’t have to remove it though. There’s only four bolts that hold the fender on. Take out the rear ones and loosen the front ones. You should be able to raise the fender enough to get the clip off the seat nut. Unless you have a high dollar seat you probably won’t need the lock. Just go to Ace Hardware and get a security bolt. Most thieves don’t carry hollow point allens & torques wrenches. Looks like you still have the stock seat. Nobody’s going to steal it. If they do I’ll send you one for the cost of freight.

Last edited by $tonecold; 11-25-2017 at 12:03 AM.
Old 11-25-2017, 07:19 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,716 Likes on 1,544 Posts

Not sure what the discussion on the tail light is about, but for the seat lock...

Push a bunch of string down the center of the OEM seat retainer until the string hits the floor - might have to reach up and grab it.
Release the OEM seat retainer and let it slide down the string. Take it off the string.
Tie the new locking seat retainer to the string and pull it up through the hole in the fender. Mount it. Remove string.

5 minutes probably. You're welcome.

Last edited by lp; 11-25-2017 at 07:22 AM.
Old 11-25-2017, 07:45 AM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,729 Likes on 926 Posts

Originally Posted by lp
Not sure what the discussion on the tail light is about, but for the seat lock...

Push a bunch of string down the center of the OEM seat retainer until the string hits the floor - might have to reach up and grab it.
Release the OEM seat retainer and let it slide down the string. Take it off the string.
Tie the new locking seat retainer to the string and pull it up through the hole in the fender. Mount it. Remove string.

That’s a good way to replace the stock one. The locking one looks like it is secured in a different manner. Still, I like your ingenuity.

Old 11-25-2017, 07:51 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,716 Likes on 1,544 Posts

Originally Posted by $tonecold
That’s a good way to replace the stock one. The locking one looks like it is secured in a different manner. Still, I like your ingenuity.
Probably just a c-clip located on the top side like the OEM. If it's not, use the following method:

Take off the exhaust pipes (slipons).
Jack the bike up with the rear tire just touching the ground.
Remove the lower shock mounting bolts.
Jack the bike up high enough to get a hand over the top of the tire - do your work.

Maybe 30 minutes if your exhaust is not rust welded to the header.

Old 11-25-2017, 09:33 AM
sixguns
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,458 Likes on 755 Posts

I have never had anything stolen, but have always wondered if a thief would just F your stuff up if he wanted it but you had it locked up?

Old 11-25-2017, 11:20 AM
Road Star
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by lp

Very clever! Thanks!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rear fender taillight removal