Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Dealer’s Insight on MoCo Voiding Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2018, 11:00 AM
KCHD1
Cruiser
Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

I would like to know how in fact this guy's warranty was voided, did he receive a letter or something ??? I have also heard Harley has an entire office with 500 employees that look through millions of photos from traffic and toll cameras to see what kind of exhaust you are running and they zoom in on the vin# and void warranty. So going forward I will only ride secondary tree covered roads so big brother HD in the sky can not see me ?????????????????

Old 08-09-2018, 11:04 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,543 Likes on 4,431 Posts

Originally Posted by KCHD1
I would like to know how in fact this guy's warranty was voided, did he receive a letter or something ??? I have also heard Harley has an entire office with 500 employees that look through millions of photos from traffic and toll cameras to see what kind of exhaust you are running and they zoom in on the vin# and void warranty. So going forward I will only ride secondary tree covered roads so big brother HD in the sky can not see me ?????????????????

IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,685 Posts

Originally Posted by tbob
With the Talen system most dealers use ,everything done on that bike is visible and HD checks for things to void warranty every time they get a chance.
My best friend from back in middle school runs a HD service department. He always tells me keep your power train warranty in tact. I truly hate him...lol
I would like to know how in fact this guy's warranty was voided, did he receive a letter or something ???...
The Motor Company goes into their VIN database, and sets the current warranty status to "VOID". You do not receive a letter.

...I have also heard Harley has an entire office with 500 employees that look through millions of photos from traffic and toll cameras to see what kind of exhaust you are running and they zoom in on the vin# and void warranty. So going forward I will only ride secondary tree covered roads so big brother HD in the sky can not see me ?????????????????
HAHAHAHAAAAAohhellno.

Last edited by IdahoHacker; 08-09-2018 at 11:05 AM.
wengerda
Cruiser
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by IdahoHacker
Just to clarify the previous comments on "third-party ESP" as compared to "Harley ESP": The HD ESP is a third-party ESP. The MoCo is not carrying that coverage, they have contracted with an outside vendor, just like the other "third party" ESP companies. The company actually carrying your "Harley ESP" is CNA National Warranty Corporation.

My local dealer has verified that the MoCo is using their TALEN system to police warranty and ESP coverage. If your dealer is telling you not to worry, they'll take care of you, they're lying to you. If you ride your bike farther than a local tow can take you back to your own dealer, you're at risk.

If you have an FP3 hanging on your handlebars, or you have mods to your engine that clearly cannot be tuned by the Pro Street tuner so you must have used an aftermarket tuner, watch out. If you stop in at another dealer just to have your oil changed, that other dealer will flag your VIN in the TALEN system, they will not tell you, and you're screwed. If the MoCo looks at your record, sees that your dealer tuned your bike with a TTS, they will flag your VIN, they will not tell you, and you're screwed.

You might not find out until you're on a road trip, your bike starts to have problems, so you stop at the nearest dealer. That's when you get the bad news. "Sorry, your remaining factory powertrain warranty and the powertrain warranty on your ESP are all void. Here's the bill."
That is exactly what happen to me, when the dealer needed to replace a part (non powertrain related) I was told that my trike was flagged due to FP installation. I even called MOCO and explained that the delaer installed the FP without warning me of the consequneces, and MOCO told me not their probelm, your vin is flagged (powertrain) and wont be removed.

Old 08-09-2018, 11:08 AM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,685 Posts

Originally Posted by wengerda
That is exactly what happen to me, when the dealer needed to replace a part (non powertrain related) I was told that my trike was flagged due to FP installation. I even called MOCO and explained that the delaer installed the FP without warning me of the consequneces, and MOCO told me not their probelm, your vin is flagged (powertrain) and wont be removed.
Yup. In addition to dealerships straight up lying to customers, once your VIN is flagged, it's permanent. It no longer matters if you return the bike to 100% stock condition, the MoCo will tell you to go pound sand.

Old 08-09-2018, 11:13 AM
Heatwave
Received 1,077 Likes on 638 Posts

You are not alone. My guess is there are thousands of M8 bike owners riding around thinking they have a factory drivetrain warranty. Sadly, many of these guys won’t find out that their Factory Drivetrain warranty AND their ESP coverage they paid for are now completely worthless for drivetrain warranty claims. They won’t find out till its too late.

Last edited by Heatwave; 08-09-2018 at 03:01 PM.
Old 08-09-2018, 11:16 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member

well from what our Service Manager told me they would be levied a HUGE fine ($30,000) if they did that, so I suspect after the MOCO upon hanging up with you began their investigation into that...sure they were licking their chops at that additional revenue opportunity

Old 08-09-2018, 11:17 AM
FatBob2018
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,228 Likes on 1,267 Posts

Originally Posted by Heatwave
My guess is there are thousands of M8 bike owners riding around thinking they have a factory drivetrain. Sadly, many of these guys won’t find out that their Factory Drivetrain warranty AND their ESP coverage they paid for are now completely worthless for drivetrain warranty claims. They won’t find out till its too late.
And yet, when we try to tell people about it, we get folks coming out of the woodwork here crying about "warranty *****". This is a serious issue and a whole lot of people don't know about it.

Old 08-09-2018, 11:22 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by FatBob2018
And yet, when we try to tell people about it, we get folks coming out of the woodwork here crying about "warranty *****". This is a serious issue and a whole lot of people don't know about it.
hard to empathize with folks that plead ignorance because they didn't read their Limited Warranty which is clearly stated to be a contract between the Manufacturer and the Purchasing Owner...middle man doesn't exist for all intents and purposes

Old 08-09-2018, 12:00 PM
FatBob2018
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,228 Likes on 1,267 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
hard to empathize with folks that plead ignorance because they didn't read their Limited Warranty which is clearly stated to be a contract between the Manufacturer and the Purchasing Owner...middle man doesn't exist for all intents and purposes
Understood, but ... this is different. Nowhere in the printed warranty does it clearly say that tuning with an aftermarket tuner, TO ANY DEGREE, will void your warranty immediately. That's in a separate document, the EPA Consent Decree. I mean... yes, the printed warranty says that if you take the bike out of EPA compliance, the warranty is void. But the way the consent decree is written, even if you tuned the bike with an aftermarket tuner to the point where it was STILL EPA-compliant, your warranty is still voided!

Use a tuner, lose your warranty. That's not spelled out anywhere, and it really should be.

Quick Reply: My Dealer’s Insight on MoCo Voiding Warranty