Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Dealer’s Insight on MoCo Voiding Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2018, 10:34 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,519 Likes on 4,422 Posts

after 2 years and just bought the addt'l 5 year ESP, since I plan on just keeping my bike and racking up a ton of miles..actually considering doing the SE Stage II just for the hell of it..but better ask a few questions to them cuz not sure adding that this late in the came doesn't come with some caveats compared to if I had done it in the first 60 days...sure don't want to spend more money to only get some half *** coverage

Old 08-10-2018, 11:11 AM
teedoff65
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,474 Likes on 1,061 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
after 2 years and just bought the addt'l 5 year ESP, since I plan on just keeping my bike and racking up a ton of miles..actually considering doing the SE Stage II just for the hell of it..but better ask a few questions to them cuz not sure adding that this late in the came doesn't come with some caveats compared to if I had done it in the first 60 days...sure don't want to spend more money to only get some half *** coverage
Third party ESP? I was under the impression that at least discount ESP would not void warranty over aftermarket tuners and such. I might be wrong, but someone told me that after researching it.

If thats true, stage 2 aftermarket for you would be great. And you'd still be covered. Plus, you could have an S&S or Fueling oil pump and cam plate installed along with it.

Old 08-10-2018, 11:16 AM
Heatwave
Received 1,077 Likes on 638 Posts

Originally Posted by IdahoHacker
You just made me think of something. Do we know if any M8 owner has had an engine failure due to sumping, and had the warranty denied because of a non-HD tuner? I have not. I would assume the MoCo would never do that.
Actually I've read several sumping engines that were denied warranty repairs due to an after market tuner but they apparently did not experience engine failure. It would take some effort to find them. In both cases they went to a Feuling oil pump and plate as their solution out of their own pocket. One of them sent me several PMs about their situation

Last edited by Heatwave; 08-10-2018 at 11:33 AM.
Old 08-10-2018, 11:18 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,519 Likes on 4,422 Posts

Originally Posted by teedoff65
Third party ESP? I was under the impression that at least discount ESP would not void warranty over aftermarket tuners and such. I might be wrong, but someone told me that after researching it.

If thats true, stage 2 aftermarket for you would be great. And you'd still be covered. Plus, you could have an S&S or Fueling oil pump and cam plate installed along with it.
well even the Harley sponsored ESP which i bought is technically a 3rd party one I guess...just need to read the fine print and ask them cuz I think even adding SE parts only covers replacement parts and not labor..I think...just need to find out of collateral damage as a result of failed parts would be covered..seems more complicated than it should be imo

Old 08-10-2018, 11:23 AM
Heatwave

Actually you'd still be OK on the ESP but there are some limitations. Your Stage II (cam & pushrods) retails for $400. It wouldn't be covered under your ESP if the engine failed. The ESP would pay to return the bike to stock since the Stage II wasn't bought in the first 60 days.

BUT, the labor is the same to return the bike to stock OR Stage II. So the only differential cost is the difference between the stock cam and the Stage II cam. Figure about $150 on the high side. Plus your deductible of $50. The ESP still gives you pretty good peace of mind and insurance should something really expensive fail.

The following users liked this post:
mjwebb (08-10-2018)
Old 08-10-2018, 11:32 AM
Heatwave

Just to clarify (again). Discount ESP WILL provide coverage even if you use an aftermarket tuner (so long as they can't attribute the claim to the tuner like someone put the wrong map on the bike). BUT Discount ESP or and other 3rd Party ESP plan definitely WILL NOT provide coverage if you voided your factory warranty by using an aftermarket tuner during the factory 2yr warranty period.

These are very different situations.
  • VOID YOUR FACTORY DRIVETRAIN WARRANTY = YOU VOIDED YOUR ESP DRIVETRAIN WARRANTY. NO IF, ANDS OR BUTS.
  • IF YOUR 2YR FACTORY WARRANTY IS INTACT AT EXPIRATION = YOU'LL HAVE FULL COVERAGE FROM ANY 3RD PARTY ESP EVEN IF YOU HAVE AN AFTERMARKET TUNER
  • IF YOU DON'T KNOW IF YOUR FACTORY WARRANTY IS INTACT= CALL YOUR DEALER AND ASK THEM TO LOOK IT UP BEFORE YOU BUY A 3RD PARTY ESP WARRANTY

Last edited by Heatwave; 08-10-2018 at 11:40 AM.
Old 08-10-2018, 11:37 AM
teedoff65
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,474 Likes on 1,061 Posts

Originally Posted by Heatwave
Just to clarify (again). Discount ESP WILL provide coverage even if you use an aftermarket tuner (so long as they can't attribute the claim to the tuner like someone put the wrong map on the bike). BUT Discount ESP or and other 3rd Party ESP plan definitely WILL NOT provide coverage if you voided your factory warranty by using an aftermarket tuner during the factory 2yr warranty period.

These are very different situations.
  • VOID YOUR FACTORY DRIVETRAIN WARRANTY = YOU VOIDED YOUR ESP DRIVETRAIN WARRANTY. NO IF, ANDS OR BUTS.
  • IF YOUR 2YR FACTORY WARRANTY IS INTACT AT EXPIRATION = YOU'LL HAVE FULL COVERAGE FROM ANY 3RD PARTY ESP EVEN IF YOU HAVE AN AFTERMARKET TUNER
  • iF YOU DON'T KNOW IF YOUR FACTORY WARRANTY IS INTACT= CALL YOUR DEALER AND ASK THEM TO LOOK IT UP BEFORE YOU BUY A 3RD PARTY ESP WARRANTY
So, then considering I have never had a claim against my factory warranty, I guess mine is still in effect. Of course, with as terrible as my dealership is, they might have flagged it just because during one of my service appointments.

Old 08-10-2018, 11:38 AM
Heatwave

well even the Harley sponsored ESP which i bought is technically a 3rd party one I guess...just need to read the fine print and ask them cuz I think even adding SE parts only covers replacement parts and not labor..I think...just need to find out of collateral damage as a result of failed parts would be covered..seems more complicated than it should be imo
It all comes down to what parts are included on the SWR for your VIN. Its a rather closely kept secret and the dealers are not even allowed to print out the SWR for customers. If you have a close relationship with your dealer, they will tell you whats or the screen or even let you see it for yourself, The dealer doesn't care what parts you install under your ESP coverage once they get their reimbursement for the claim. They just know how much reimbursement they will get and anything above that is out of your pocket. If you want to use that reimbursement to build a custom engine you can. Of course, if that custom engine fails they will likely reject any future claims because they'll say your custom parts caused any future failure.

The following users liked this post:
mjwebb (08-10-2018)
Old 08-10-2018, 11:45 AM
Heatwave

So, then considering I have never had a claim against my factory warranty, I guess mine is still in effect. Of course, with as terrible as my dealership is, they might have flagged it just because during one of my service appointments.

"Of course, with as terrible as my dealership is, they might have flagged it just because during one of my service appointments."

Yep, that's the concern, although they need a legitimate reason. A lot of guys could be at risk and won't find out till they make a warranty claim. Try calling a different dealer and ask the service guys if they could look up your VIN to see if your factory warranty is still intact. If it is intact, and retaining the warranty matters to you, then you need to take the necessary steps to ensure the bike is compliant during the factory warranty period whenever its at a dealership.

Last edited by Heatwave; 08-10-2018 at 11:48 AM.
Old 08-10-2018, 11:58 AM
Goose_NC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,204 Likes on 1,966 Posts

I remember when HD dealers would ony sell aithorized HD parts. The aftermarket suppliers and independent shops was where the hot rodders went. HD went after the 'aftermarket' money with the expanded Screaming Eagle line. After market shops will resume picking up those customers again. Usually after the warranty has expired.