Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Dealer’s Insight on MoCo Voiding Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2017, 10:42 AM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,412 Likes on 4,016 Posts

It's all second & third hand of course, but......

I have read several threads about the MoCo checking random bikes at dealers, when they are there for official business, looking and flagging bikes that just have "violations"...

There was one poster said the MoCo is checking their/dealer computer sales records and have flagged a few warranties of M8 owners based on the purchase of accessories that are violations....

Whatever the truth is, it is apparent that the MoCo is enforcing their warranty more seriously than they ever did before....

Old 12-13-2017, 11:07 AM
Msquad
Road Captain
Received 177 Likes on 121 Posts

Harley needs to void as many M8 warranties as they can since they have so many problems. If they have to fix all the sumpings and migrations they will go bankrupt.

The following users liked this post:
jd05flhtci (12-13-2017)
Old 12-13-2017, 11:11 AM
GPHDXLC
Grand HDF Member
Received 345 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by harleytuner
My local had a regional rep looking at and taking pictures of "modded" bikes in the parking lot a few months back. The thought was he was flagging VIN's.
In the parking lot of a dealership that I can see, but at the same time he could be taking pics to see how people like there bikes to look like after mods, and that's just another thought. This Thread is starting to run on conjecture, like a lot of them do. Lol.

The following 2 users liked this post by GPHDXLC:
cacomly (08-08-2018), Eccool (12-13-2017)
Old 12-13-2017, 11:15 AM
Hd589
Tourer
Received 80 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Msquad
Harley needs to void as many M8 warranties as they can since they have so many problems. If they have to fix all the sumpings and migrations they will go bankrupt.
They will have to fix those regardless, design flaws/ recalls apply to all.

Old 12-13-2017, 11:30 AM
vizcarmb
Stellar HDF Member
Received 525 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by ghostrunner
Like I said just his thoughts cuz one of the customers got their warranty voided after attending the event in Arkansas. As far as a dealer goes they are very good and take good care of us.
I dont think that is actually legal to do. Good dealers will know what will void the warranty and will try to help you out before taking it in to service. Random *** people getting paid to scope out bikes so they can void their warranties is ridiculous.

The following 2 users liked this post by vizcarmb:
jgos929 (12-13-2017), wengerda (12-13-2017)
Old 12-13-2017, 12:26 PM
mazz
Road Master
Received 193 Likes on 116 Posts

anybody knows they have black helicopters they dont just walk around parking lots!!

Old 12-13-2017, 01:30 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,685 Posts

Had a long talk with our GM yesterday. I learned something new.

Owners Manuals have always said that using aftermarket performance parts "may" void all or parts of your warranty. Apparently, the 2017 and 2018 Owners Manual says that using aftermarket performance parts "will" void the warranty.

Our dealer has always been willing to do whatever the customer wants. No more. Now, they will NOT do any work on a 2017 or 2018 with any aftermarket performance parts, and will no longer touch your bike with any tuner other than the Pro Street Tuner.

The problem is that many different dealers are doing many different things, and if you take your bike outside the local area, you're at risk. Fewer and fewer owners are willing to take that risk. Which is, of course, a huge bonus to Harley-Davidson dealers, because if you want to keep the warranty intact and you want to "make it your own", you're now restricted to Screamin' Eagle parts, and a Screamin' Eagle tuner.

****'s gettin' serious.

The following users liked this post:
jd05flhtci (12-13-2017)
Old 12-13-2017, 01:34 PM
wengerda
Cruiser
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Angry

Originally Posted by vizcarmb
I dont think that is actually legal to do. Good dealers will know what will void the warranty and will try to help you out before taking it in to service. Random *** people getting paid to scope out bikes so they can void their warranties is ridiculous.

Well I wont mention the HD dealer name but I asked the service manager if the Powervision they used a few months on my bike will void the warranty. I was told that yes they found out 2 weeks ago (I had the power vision done 5 months ago) that it will void the warranty, but it all depends they way they write up the ticket. This dealer never took responsibility of at least telling me from the beginning the options of a different approved by HD tuner.

Old 12-13-2017, 01:43 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,685 Posts

Originally Posted by wengerda
...it will void the warranty, but it all depends they way they write up the ticket...
If the "way" they write up the ticket is by simply not divulging that the bike was tuned with a PV so that the warranty claim will be approved, it's a $2,000 fine to the dealership, per incident.

The following 2 users liked this post by IdahoHacker:
Eccool (12-13-2017), wengerda (12-13-2017)
Old 12-13-2017, 01:46 PM
wengerda
Cruiser
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

$2000 fine to the dealership but what about the customer, I was never told that the PV will void my warranty. Either way, I bout from the HD dealer a non Harley extended warranty that will cover all non Harley parts for the next 7 years, starting on the first day when I bought the bike.

Quick Reply: My Dealer’s Insight on MoCo Voiding Warranty