Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Dealer’s Insight on MoCo Voiding Warranty

Old 12-13-2017, 02:21 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,685 Posts

Originally Posted by wengerda
$2000 fine to the dealership but what about the customer, I was never told that the PV will void my warranty. Either way, I bout from the HD dealer a non Harley extended warranty that will cover all non Harley parts for the next 7 years, starting on the first day when I bought the bike.
There are no fines on the customer.

The Consent Decree between the EPA and the MoCo clearly states that using any non-EPA or non-CARB compliant tuner module voids your powertrain warranty. The only tuner module that meets the requirements is the Screamin' Eagle Pro Street Tuner.

I can't speak to your "non-Harley ESP", but for all who bought their ESP from the dealer, I have personally called the ESP provider on the phone, and talked to a customer rep. He verified that if the dealer and/or the MoCo voids your powertrain warranty because you used an unapproved tuner module, the powertrain portion of the ESP is voided at the same time.

The following 2 users liked this post by IdahoHacker:
cacomly (08-08-2018), lh4x4 (12-13-2017)
Old 12-13-2017, 02:59 PM
teedoff65
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,470 Likes on 1,060 Posts

Originally Posted by wengerda
$2000 fine to the dealership but what about the customer, I was never told that the PV will void my warranty. Either way, I bout from the HD dealer a non Harley extended warranty that will cover all non Harley parts for the next 7 years, starting on the first day when I bought the bike.
Also, their way out of them "not telling you" is that it plainly states the reasons a warranty will be voided in your manual, which would serve as a contract if it came down to it.

I agree. Had I been told up front about warranty issues, that may have swayed my buying decision at that time. Like most harley owners, I bought one with the mindset of......oh yeah I'm gonna put different pipes on it and maybe upgrade the motor some....

Knowing now that mindset would void my warranty, I might have given the 2016's a better look.

Old 12-13-2017, 03:56 PM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 216 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by IdahoHacker

I can't speak to your "non-Harley ESP", but for all who bought their ESP from the dealer, I have personally called the ESP provider on the phone, and talked to a customer rep. He verified that if the dealer and/or the MoCo voids your powertrain warranty because you used an unapproved tuner module, the powertrain portion of the ESP is voided at the same time.
If he's using the dealer I think he is, based on his location, they offer a ESP that covers aftermarket parts. This dealer is known to do extensive mods to new bikes then put them on the floor for sale. I'm talking like raking the neck and putting a 26" wheel on it. I used to tune a lot for them (until they bought a dyno), they had a lot of new bikes with 120's and even a few with Jim's 135" in them.

Might be a different dealer though. But the one I am referring is close to Alexandria and pushes Power Visions

Old 12-13-2017, 05:01 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Originally Posted by harleytuner
If he's using the dealer I think he is, based on his location, they offer a ESP that covers aftermarket parts. This dealer is known to do extensive mods to new bikes then put them on the floor for sale. I'm talking like raking the neck and putting a 26" wheel on it. I used to tune a lot for them (until they bought a dyno), they had a lot of new bikes with 120's and even a few with Jim's 135" in them.

Might be a different dealer though. But the one I am referring is close to Alexandria and pushes Power Visions
Could be.

Chris Rivas, the builder who did my cam and tune, is a dedicated PV guy as well.

Old 12-13-2017, 06:13 PM
Timberwolf2017
Road Captain
Received 251 Likes on 158 Posts

When I had my dealer install my stage 1(over a year ago), I was told since they used the SE tuner, that my warranty was safe. Now however, I am sure my warranty would be voided if I had a warranty claim, mainly because I installed V&H power duals headers and V&H 450 destroyer muffs. I guess the only thing I could do if I had a problem is install OEM exhaust. This whole warranty debacle is nuts.

Old 12-13-2017, 06:18 PM
smellsbad2
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have visions of clean cut agents wearing Adam Sandoval sunglasses and bad disguises dressed as old fat guys in black Sturgis T-Shirts taking photos of really nice looking bikes with an I-phone that automatically uploads non motoco alterations to the "cloud" matching VIN numbers to owners to LowBrow Customs order numbers alerting the said Motoco's data base in the denim paint scheme cloud. This triggers a change in the ECM that makes the bike run like sh*t, voids the warranty, and sends an email to the owner stating the Motoco will not refund the warranty, nor repair the bike until they remove all that cool stuff that made it run so well. Failure to comply will prompt a tweet demanding the owner to stop wearing clothing with the HD logo. HOG members will not be allowed to acknowledge these traitors on the road and they can no longer drink the free coffee at any HD dealership.
Just because you aren't paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you.

Old 12-13-2017, 06:52 PM
FatBob2018
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,217 Likes on 1,263 Posts

Originally Posted by IdahoHacker
Owners Manuals have always said that using aftermarket performance parts "may" void all or parts of your warranty. Apparently, the 2017 and 2018 Owners Manual says that using aftermarket performance parts "will" void the warranty.
Absolutely not true, at least as far as the 2018 Softail Owners Manual goes. It clearly says "Use of aftermarket performance parts may void all or parts of your limited warranty." Page 175.

Old 12-13-2017, 07:59 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,503 Likes on 4,414 Posts
Default I'm just inspecting the tires

[QUOTE=ghostrunner;16905890But here’s where he says Harley does most of the red flagging. Anyone going to a rally or event there is people harley sends out to walk the parking lots to look for things that stand out like exhaust, air cleaners cuz they know the pro tuner will not adjust these and trailer hitches They then take pictures and get serial numbers and pass on to harley and they then void the warranty.[/QUOTE]

HD Regional Rep

Attached Thumbnails -hqdefault.jpg  
Old 12-13-2017, 08:43 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Originally Posted by FatBob2018
Absolutely not true, at least as far as the 2018 Softail Owners Manual goes. It clearly says "Use of aftermarket performance parts may void all or parts of your limited warranty." Page 175.
Wow. You mean my GM is lying to me?!? Wouldn't be the first time.

Wouldn't be the first time.

Old 12-13-2017, 10:14 PM
Psycho Dave
Cruiser
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

I can tell you for a fact that harley will do a stage 4, with a stage 3 cam, and allow you to use the smart tune. My buddies bike has exactly that. The dealer service dept even called hd to see if they were ok with it and got the green light. Bike sumped within 500 miles and has been in and fixed under warranty.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My Dealer’s Insight on MoCo Voiding Warranty