Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lets Build up the 2018 CVO 117

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2017, 08:07 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,505 Likes on 4,415 Posts

yeah, it really comes down to what different people consider enjoyable...if you do a lot of long distance trips on the Touring lineup bikes like we do with friends there's no need to own a beast to enjoy the experiences..but the other camp is of the adrenaline junkie persuasion...I started out there and migrated to the former as I got older..it can all be fun no matter which, it's being on two wheels that floats all our boats

The following users liked this post:
bikerchronicles (01-04-2018)
Old 12-20-2017, 09:03 PM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru
Received 3,414 Likes on 1,566 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
yeah, it really comes down to what different people consider enjoyable...if you do a lot of long distance trips on the Touring lineup bikes like we do with friends there's no need to own a beast to enjoy the experiences..but the other camp is of the adrenaline junkie persuasion...I started out there and migrated to the former as I got older..it can all be fun no matter which, it's being on two wheels that floats all our boats

Its a simple rule that I believe applies here.

What is enough power.................... Never having to find the end of the throttle when you need it!

Old 12-20-2017, 09:27 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Steve Cole
Its a simple rule that I believe applies here.

What is enough power.................... Never having to find the end of the throttle when you need it!
I get it...same as you shouldn't buy a home stereo that requires you to spend a lot of time on 8 out of 10 on the volume ****..better to have more than you need most of the time...we bought a 4cyl Camry (I know, gag) but dumped it for a V6 Avalon...which has a ton more power but the fuel economy we get is about the same since we spend a lot of time at lower rpms with all the torque, but when you need that extra power on the highway it's there....ok, same thing only different but you know the drill

Old 12-23-2017, 05:57 AM
FLSTFI Dave
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,936 Likes on 2,344 Posts

I like having more power. I also do a bit of touring, I ride 20K plus miles a year.

My 140 torque bike is a lot more fun, and easier to tour on. Don't have to down shift to pass. Roll on power every where. Great for riding the mountains, back roads or interstate. MPG on my built motor is pretty much the same as stock unless I am riding it a lot harder..

The following 2 users liked this post by FLSTFI Dave:
bikerchronicles (01-04-2018), RinTin (12-23-2017)
Old 12-23-2017, 07:35 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by FLSTFI Dave
I like having more power. I also do a bit of touring, I ride 20K plus miles a year.

My 140 torque bike is a lot more fun, and easier to tour on. Don't have to down shift to pass. Roll on power every where. Great for riding the mountains, back roads or interstate. MPG on my built motor is pretty much the same as stock unless I am riding it a lot harder..
"my bike has too much power"...said no-one ever! LOL...I hear ya'....for the most part I feel the same regarding my Stage 1 re: "Don't have to down shift to pass. Roll on power every where." of course I'll have to downshift and gas er' up more than yours but hey, that can be fun and what the gears and rpms are for. figure I might as well utilize what she's got first before deciding she's not doing something that I wish she could...some of that is money driven and concern over reliability as well

Old 12-23-2017, 01:15 PM
bikerchronicles
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All sounds sweet and your warrantee ????

Old 12-24-2017, 08:24 AM
FLSTFI Dave
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,936 Likes on 2,344 Posts

"my bike has too much power"...said no-one ever! LOL...I hear ya'....for the most part I feel the same regarding my Stage 1 re: "Don't have to down shift to pass. Roll on power every where." of course I'll have to downshift and gas er' up more than yours but hey, that can be fun and what the gears and rpms are for. figure I might as well utilize what she's got first before deciding she's not doing something that I wish she could...some of that is money driven and concern over reliability as well
Sad thing is, I have yet to have a motor I built fail. However I have had two Stock CVO's except for exhaust have catastrophic lifter failure. My 09 CVO had lifters fail and need a hole new top end. My 15 failed so bad, Harley replaced the engine.

Originally Posted by bikerchronicles
All sounds sweet and your warrantee ????
Lets see, my 2013 King took it in for its 1K service with 1500 miles on the bike. When service was finished put the new hi compression pistons, cam, injectors, adjustable push rods, woods lifters and such in the saddle bags. Service writer said you know that voids the warranty, and said no, just the power train warranty.

I figured I was fixing the weakest link on the 110 motor. Now with the 117 M8 I'm not sure. I think other than good exhaust and tune I'll leave it for about a year. Then again maybe not. I keep wishing it pulled and ran like my 13 King does.

Old 01-04-2018, 11:14 AM
bikerchronicles
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Love the input guys and here is where we are so far. Did go with the progressive shocks, and had good luck with them on the 2012 CVO build up we did a few years ago. Also went with a Klock Works windshield in dark tint at 8 1/2 rise. Next was the exhaust system on order and again have had good sounds and good vibes with Vance n Hines Full open header cross system" Power Duels " and 4.50 High out Put Slip On. All in Black. Sure we know there may be better but again Vance & Hines been good to us all along the way. Discounts and trial systems so we stay loyal. Trashing the jugs and heads. now in a box and later to be sent out to our machine guy for some research we have opted to step up for the Stage 4 Kit as to try and keep with the warrantee idea for now. . A 124 Suburban Upgrade or if n when Harley gets to it will be in the cards. Now the tuner they use is the Pro Street, and I get it Harley Harley Harley. but that too will obviously go eventually as we have a brand new Race Tuner or may opt for one of the new systems now breaking ground for the M 8. What yea all think? Additional work will include seat rebuild . sissy bar, Bat wing upper faring extensions. Its a work in progress and will keep you posted but please come one and all with your ideas and input. Thanks Again .

Old 01-04-2018, 11:44 AM
Oldskewl
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,906 Likes on 3,285 Posts

Originally Posted by bikerchronicles
Love the input guys and here is where we are so far. Did go with the progressive shocks, and had good luck with them on the 2012 CVO build up we did a few years ago. Also went with a Klock Works windshield in dark tint at 8 1/2 rise. Next was the exhaust system on order and again have had good sounds and good vibes with Vance n Hines Full open header cross system" Power Duels " and 4.50 High out Put Slip On. All in Black. Sure we know there may be better but again Vance & Hines been good to us all along the way. Discounts and trial systems so we stay loyal. Trashing the jugs and heads. now in a box and later to be sent out to our machine guy for some research we have opted to step up for the Stage 4 Kit as to try and keep with the warrantee idea for now. . A 124 Suburban Upgrade or if n when Harley gets to it will be in the cards. Now the tuner they use is the Pro Street, and I get it Harley Harley Harley. but that too will obviously go eventually as we have a brand new Race Tuner or may opt for one of the new systems now breaking ground for the M 8. What yea all think? Additional work will include seat rebuild . sissy bar, Bat wing upper faring extensions. Its a work in progress and will keep you posted but please come one and all with your ideas and input. Thanks Again .
I'm not sure who you are or what build you've done before but for some reason I just don't believe **** you're saying.
1: "Trashing the jugs and heads. now in a box and later to be sent out to our machine guy for some research we have opted to step up for the Stage 4 Kit as to try and keep with the warrantee idea for now" Who are you T-MAN himself?
2: You talk about warranties, race tuners and then stage 4.
3: Batwing fairing extensions... Didn't you just say the Klock Werks fairing in the comment previous.
4. " V&H Discounts and trial systems so we stay loyal. Again, who are you ?
5: (Here's the hint of your qualifications to put together a Big Wheel let alone a CVO) "BUT know this. With a single cam you maybe actually limited to what you can do Guess why".

From what i've read, you don't know **** from shinola and you're talking outta your ***. The final piece to the puzzle probably speaks volumes: "Sorry gotta run, its for the next therapy session".

Be sure and update us on who is actually building the bike for you and maybe include a picture or two.

Last edited by Oldskewl; 01-04-2018 at 11:47 AM.
Old 01-04-2018, 12:40 PM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

Throw a get back whip on the clutch lever and call it good.

Quick Reply: Lets Build up the 2018 CVO 117