Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lets Build up the 2018 CVO 117

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2018, 01:36 PM
bikerchronicles
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Never fails. There is always someone who wants to question the validity or install questionable doubt on others ideas or even statements. So with that being acknowledged, let us thank the posters who have good positive input. We will listen to all ideas no mater the negative tone. To answer some questionable doubt, The 117 heads and Barrels will go to a machinist to see what else can be done to improve the single cam valve angle and what he would do to upgrade the 117 CVO original Heads".You talk about warranties" We do try to keep with the Harley Warrantee as we go but that will often depend on the dealer you deal with and what State you are in. Besides the Motor build, and an answer to a "skel" remark, try and read what we write slowly and with some thought. Faring extensions, Windshield, shocks, pipes, etc are all preference items and tried and tested by us over the years. By the way loyal means you stick to what works for you even though we do try other providers for all the previously mentioned after market items. If and when we do a clutch it will be a RadiusX. Again has worked well on other bikes for us. The final piece to the puzzle probably speaks volumes. Biker Chronicles 2018 CVO build

Old 01-15-2018, 10:09 AM
bikerchronicles
Intermediate

The Update
Lil by lil as parts come in and come off,
new Harley Parts get added. The exception being the Headers and Pipes along with foot brake extension and a few after market comfort items. Sure we all know its a CVO but for us we have upgraded everyone along the way. With this one its getting done before the rubber hits the road. The Stage 4 with the CNC Heads will be a mid way warrantee upgrade all later to be changed and once again taken to the next level once the warrantee gets worked over. A 130 is what we are shooting for. Any constructive ides or thoughts .Thanks all and keep up the good work here on the forums .

The following users liked this post:
smoking (10-22-2018)
Old 01-30-2018, 10:17 AM
bikerchronicles
Intermediate

With the 2018 CVO Stage 4 build 117 to 117 and 750 miles on it we have to say with only a down load tune on it we are a bit disappointed. Several of us rode it before and after and the general consensus was about the same. We all expected more. Even with the Vance and Hines exhaust system. Remember now its a full warrantied bike and has not been on a dyno run as of yet.
The question is does the stage 4 kit really make all that much difference on the CVO to justify the expense. If you can do it yourself sure why not. 3k or so including pipes and 20 to 24 hours of labor in a well lit well supplied warm shop . Go for it. Dealer installed that's another question and a big dollar # to get er done. Some of you may want to wait for the big bore kit Harley will surly have to come out with.When we do make a Dyno Run we will post it but until then this is where we are.

Old 01-30-2018, 03:55 PM
FatBob2018
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,228 Likes on 1,267 Posts

The only place you're going to see a benefit on a CVO 117 Stage IV is from 4500 RPM+. Below 4500, it's actually weaker than a stock bike, but at 4500 to 6500 it should be dramatically stronger than a stock bike.

bikerchronicles (01-30-2018)
Old 01-30-2018, 04:35 PM
Bannana Boat
Road Captain
Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

A 130 in HD warrantied form is highly unlikely, mostly due to the cam. However, you can throw an aftermarket cam on it and get those results. Go over to harley tech talk, dyno section, GMR performance has a few dyno sheets on the CVO 117" in steps, and the cam change gets 130tq.

bikerchronicles (01-30-2018)
Old 01-31-2018, 08:28 AM
FLSTFI Dave
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,956 Likes on 2,351 Posts

Originally Posted by Bannana Boat
A 130 in HD warrantied form is highly unlikely, mostly due to the cam. However, you can throw an aftermarket cam on it and get those results. Go over to harley tech talk, dyno section, GMR performance has a few dyno sheets on the CVO 117" in steps, and the cam change gets 130tq.
Yup, real nice what GMR got with a Fullsac exhaust system, trask air cleaner and his cam. Less money than the HD Stage three and more hp and torque. But no warranty.

Old 01-31-2018, 09:06 PM
tbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 690 Likes on 465 Posts

Thank you for stating your trying to get a 130 build. Doing that and keeping the factory warranty will not happen under the new epa agreement. The total kit has to be purchased
and installed by a dealer. But I do like what your doing.

Old 02-01-2018, 10:43 AM
load97
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 112 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by GlidingJoe
Money is not what stops us.... its the need for MORE MORE MORE.
My '17 CVO is a Stage lll 117" and I am not stopping there. Headed to Fuel Moto shortly for MORE!!!
I don't know about you, but money is what stops me...Along with the wife

Old 02-01-2018, 02:06 PM
FLSTFI Dave
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,956 Likes on 2,351 Posts

Originally Posted by load97
I don't know about you, but money is what stops me...Along with the wife
Money is what slows me. The wife rides her own, so she never says crap about stuff for a motorcycle.... I can spend 2K on bike stuff and not hear a word.

Try to buy Corvette stuff and she looses her mind, says its a total waist of money. Spend 100 on the car and she is not happy.

Old 04-25-2019, 04:04 PM
Scott Campbell
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yenko?

Originally Posted by Magnut1
To me, stripping and rebuilding a CVO is like taking a Yenko Camaro and stripping down to add fender flares, custom interior, chop the roof, add Air Ride and swap in a stroker! Why not do this to a 6 cyl camaro and save the rare machine? But, hey, that is just me.
you gotta be high!!! Anything stock from Harley is ****! Seat, shocks, handle bars, grips, mirrors, even the CVO is only like 92hp. Pathetic for that kinda scratch. You’re paying for a paint job a a few more Ci. With that CVO. Anyone that pays $45k for one is touched. Yenko? Ha. Then ya have to swap pipes, wheels, throttle body, oil pump , cam plate, cam, injectors, valve springs, lifters, yada yada . CVO stands for d...@55.