Sponsored by:

Clutch Problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2018, 05:42 AM
bushmaster007
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2017 m8 clutch slipping

I have an issue. I have a 2017 street glide and just this past weekend that I rode 280 miles from leesburg home, as I was close to my house the clutch started slipping on every gear when I wood get on the throttle. Yesterday I rode the bike again and it seems that its not gripping good. What can this be? Dealer says clutch is not cover under warranty. Bike has a little over 7k miles

Old 05-03-2018, 07:05 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,505 Likes on 4,415 Posts

Originally Posted by bushmaster007
I have an issue. I have a 2017 street glide and just this past weekend that I rode 280 miles from leesburg home, as I was close to my house the clutch started slipping on every gear when I wood get on the throttle. Yesterday I rode the bike again and it seems that its not gripping good. What can this be? Dealer says clutch is not cover under warranty. Bike has a little over 7k miles
I think that's bush league for them to play the not covered under factory warranty card. either way, let them repair it while you fight with them over it and hopefully you'll get resolution, and find out the root cause. Not like you options, can't ride it the way it is and main riding season is upon us, good luck

Old 05-03-2018, 07:10 AM
painey
Road Warrior
Received 205 Likes on 103 Posts

I would take it to another dealer, a clutch should not go within a year and only at 7k miles!

Ask a dealer to check your primary for excess oil, possibly transferred from transmission, this could be reason clutch is slipping if your are using gear oil in your transmission and the transfer is possibly causing your clutch to slip.

The following users liked this post:
Alexspain (05-03-2018)
Old 06-05-2018, 01:23 PM
Mcnorris32
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2017 tri gluide with 4800 miles on Friday the 1st of June went to go to work, started the trike and pulled in on the clutch and it went all the way in with no pressure. Could not get any clutch. Contacted dealer and they picked up trike that day. Could not take anytime to check it out. Was told maybe Saturday. Called back on Tuesday and till they have not checked it out yet maybe today sometime. They say that they have not had any recalls on the problem but reading these post I say that Harley has not corrected the 2014-2016 clutch problem. Nice to have a new trike setting in the shop and not on the road.

Old 06-05-2018, 07:33 PM
anthony_b.
Road Captain
Received 170 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by Quik
I found a new street glide on the showroom with zero clutch pull, lever just basically fell back to the grip, told the salesman they had a bike that might need some attention, service guy came out and said "oh crap" and wheeled it off the floor to the back. Not sure what the problem was but I was thinking how the hell does that get missed during inspection before putting the bike on the showroom floor.
...same exact thing happened on a '17 Limited I was sitting on. Clutch lever pulled with zero resistance. Told my wife, "You gotta feel these new clutches, soooooo easy." She pulled it too and said, "I don't think that's the way they're supposed to be"

Old 06-07-2018, 07:33 AM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 265 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by painey
I have a 2018 Road Glide Special, owned it just under 4 weeks and done 1600 miles.
Last saturday I did the 'Wreaths across America' run and had a great time. Got home, parked my bike in the garage and looked forward to doing a big toy run the next day.

Next day came, rolled my bike out the garage, started it, put it in gear and immediately felt the bike trying to pull me along without letting the clutch out! I stopped 50 feet from my house and noticed the clutch felt wimp and weak, tried pumping a few times and put it in gear, bike lurched forward and stalled, no clutch!

I pushed the bike back to my house, tried pumping the clutch again and managed to get it to just about work enough to get my bike into my garage.

I called my dealer and explained my woes, they immediately arranged for a tow truck to pickup my bike and investigate what had happened.

I called back later in the day and they told me the clutch slave cylinder had gone out and would have to order the parts from Harley tomorrow (Monday) and they should get the parts Tuesday and get the biked sorted and backs to me first thing Wednesday morning.

I rang them Tuesday to see how my bike was progressing, I was told 2 out of 3 parts had arrived but the third was on back order until Jan 5th. I lost it, after only having the bike 3 weeks and paying cash and then Harley not having the parts to fix my bike I was furious, lucky for me I have the General Manager of the shops private cell and called him, he said give me 5 minutes to look into this, to his word he called straight back and said they will rob the required parts off a brand new bike in the shop.

My concern is, why is a fundamental part off a new bike on back order? Is this a bigger issue that has not yet come to light?
Oops! Yet another adventure in M8 land and "The Harley Lifestyle".

Get used to it.

Old 06-07-2018, 01:36 PM
KrustyKush
Road Master
Received 431 Likes on 287 Posts

I've never managed to get a dealer shop to cannibalize a new bike for some part to get mine going again fast. That's pretty good service! My local dealer does stock parts that are frequently sold. Like jiffy stand springs. The spring on my 2016 lost its mojo one day around 25k miles. I expected to have to order one, but the dealer had six in stock, at about $7 each. I bought two. Still got one, and notice it will also work on my 2018.

Seems like there'd be a kit or two on the shelf, since master cylinder problems have been around for awhile. Maybe this is a problem with the slave only? and has only recently shown up on the M8s?

So far, at 4400 miles, and very heavy slipping use, since I ride mostly two-up with a combined weight of 350 lbs, I have no problems with the clutch on my 2018. Keeping fingers crossed, 'cause looks like this one will put you on the side.

Old 06-08-2018, 11:16 AM
Mcnorris32
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch problem

Had my trike serviced the end of May 2018. On the 1st of June my clutch goes out. Dealership had it from that date till 8 June. Found the problem was the clutch master cylinder was low on fluid. If they had checked this when they did the service I could have had my trike and riding it. I wonder what else they did not do of the service that I paid for. Do not take your bike to Flaming Gorge Harley Davidson in Green River, Wy.

Old 06-08-2018, 11:26 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,505 Likes on 4,415 Posts

Originally Posted by KrustyKush
II ride mostly two-up with a combined weight of 350 lbs,
that has to be way under the National 'HOG' average based on what I see in the Wild!..LOL

Old 06-09-2018, 07:07 AM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 265 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by Mcnorris32
Had my trike serviced the end of May 2018. On the 1st of June my clutch goes out. Dealership had it from that date till 8 June. Found the problem was the clutch master cylinder was low on fluid. If they had checked this when they did the service I could have had my trike and riding it. I wonder what else they did not do of the service that I paid for. Do not take your bike to Flaming Gorge Harley Davidson in Green River, Wy.
Probably didn't do anything more than print your bill. No surprises here.

One thing, if your clutch fluid was that low, then you have a leak somewhere and it'll almost surely happen again. You might consider trying to find it yourself, it's a pretty straight forward and simple system. Of course, even a simple hydraulic clutch system seems to be beyond the MoCo's ability to consistently get right, so good luck!

Quick Reply: Clutch Problems