Letís hear from folks that have done 114 to 117 stage three on 2018 M8 - Page 4 - Harley Davidson Forums

Go Back  Harley Davidson Forums > Harley Davidson Motorcycles > Milwaukee Eight (M8)
Reload this Page >

Letís hear from folks that have done 114 to 117 stage three on 2018 M8

Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion

Letís hear from folks that have done 114 to 117 stage three on 2018 M8

Old 01-27-2018, 07:53 AM
harleytacticalnut
One Of The Regulars

Originally Posted by BigRed117 View Post
Mo power and mo power and mo power...........it never stops!
All of the harley stage kits are nothing but straight JUNK!!!!!!!Believe the hype all you want. Been there and done that until the POS starts Sumping. If you want realiable performance power you will need to for go you warranty and go aftermarket. If not good luck to you.

Old 01-27-2018, 03:48 PM
FatBob2018
Road Master

Harley says Stage III and Stage IV are not the cause of sumping, sumping can happen on any M8 in any Stage kit, or even stock.

It probably happens more often on Stage III and Stage IV because those kits move the powerband up higher in the RPM range, and Harley has identified high-RPM riding (along with heavy load riding) as being triggers for sumping to happen. So, as long as you're using the same bottom end of the engine, your aftermarket top end will likely cause just as much sumping as a Harley kit (unless something specific about the Harley kit is causing sumping, like the cylinders being out of round allowing for blowby or something like that).

I have the Stage II kit on my bike and there is pretty much no way I could be happier, and it retained my warranty so if there is any sumping, I'm covered for the next six years. Everyone's gotta make their own choice on this.

Old 01-27-2018, 04:53 PM
BigRed117
Outstanding HDF Member
Thanked 1,010 Times in 547 Posts

Originally Posted by FatBob2018 View Post
Harley says Stage III and Stage IV are not the cause of sumping, sumping can happen on any M8 in any Stage kit, or even stock.

It probably happens more often on Stage III and Stage IV because those kits move the powerband up higher in the RPM range, and Harley has identified high-RPM riding (along with heavy load riding) as being triggers for sumping to happen. So, as long as you're using the same bottom end of the engine, your aftermarket top end will likely cause just as much sumping as a Harley kit (unless something specific about the Harley kit is causing sumping, like the cylinders being out of round allowing for blowby or something like that).

I have the Stage II kit on my bike and there is pretty much no way I could be happier, and it retained my warranty so if there is any sumping, I'm covered for the next six years. Everyone's gotta make their own choice on this.
Also keep in mind anyone getting a three or four is gonna have the motor cracked open. That is when the tech is going to most likely see sumping has occurred even if the owner has had no indication or complaints. So theoretically folks getting three and four may find out their stock motor was sumping pre upgrade. It’s all really a crap shoot right now. Just hope HD comes up with a solution that works!

Last edited by BigRed117; 01-27-2018 at 04:55 PM.