Sponsored by:

Milwaukee Eight 107 cam testing

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2018, 08:26 PM
Blue Tick
Road Master
Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by fuelmoto
Yes, for our testing we had the TCI insert installed in the Jackpot head pipe, and both dB inserts installed in the S&S Mk45 mufflers that were installed for the test.
Jamie, what is the TCI you refer to in the header? I was talking with Bob yesterday and had pretty well decided on the 22x, your header and the outlaw muffs. Is this TCI something I need to consider? I want to get every bit out I can. But, if my adult add kicks in here tonight I might be talking myself into a 117 or 120.

Old 04-25-2018, 08:48 PM
badcooky
Banned
Received 473 Likes on 370 Posts

Tunable Collector Insert

Old 04-25-2018, 09:04 PM
Blue Tick
Road Master

Originally Posted by badcooky
Tunable Collector Insert
Thanks cooky.....I googled after I posted. Oddly enough I found it here and not on their site, unless my DA didn't read well enough.

Old 04-26-2018, 07:46 AM
marshallb
Road Warrior
Received 173 Likes on 158 Posts

We have not yet tested the new S&S Sidewinder 2/1 for the M8 however I expect it would work well with any of the bolt in cams we tested as this pipe has a dB reducer which will help low RPM performance & tunability. We just developed a similar insert for our Road & Track 2/1 that picked up low RPM power considerably and did not affect peak HP.
Is this insert the significant bar raising referred to on FB?

Old 04-26-2018, 10:21 AM
fuelmoto
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,104 Likes on 1,339 Posts

Originally Posted by marshallb
Is this insert the significant bar raising referred to on FB?
No, we just posted the BIG news on Facebook

Facebook Post

Jamie Long / Fuel Moto USA
The USA's Leader V-Twin EFI & Performance www.fuelmotousa.com
Contact 920-423-3309
Email jamie@fuelmotousa.com

Old 04-26-2018, 11:57 AM
Blue Tick
Road Master

We originally installed the S&S 475C. As we have been stating the M8 is extremely exhaust sensitive and the trend of overly large baffles is not what these motors want, especially with the lobe centers and event timing on some cams. A cam that rock & rolls with one exhaust combination may perform totally different with another. In this example the customer was running V&H PowerDuals with Eliminator 400 mufflers which have a large louvered baffle this exhaust is not biased toward low end torque. The 475C cam did not like this setup, while the peak numbers were very good it was very soft on the bottom and reponse was less than desirable. We tried several exhaust swaps with some improvements, however in the end we decided to re-install the customers exhaust and swap the cam based on his original objectives and it all worked out. Again, it wasnt the cam specifically (the 475C is one of our favorites), as the end results are relative to the complete combination, one component can make or break the whole thing. For sure the single biggest problem we are encountering is bikes equipped with mufflers with excessively large baffles, and it will affect some cams more than others.
Jamie,

This 475 cam is also on my radar. It's between this one and the 22x. Will/would this cam perform well with the outlaw mufflers, jackpot headpipe and the ac/dc air intake or the s&s intake?

Old 04-26-2018, 04:00 PM
fuelmoto
Platinum Sponsor

Originally Posted by Blue Tick
Jamie,

This 475 cam is also on my radar. It's between this one and the 22x. Will/would this cam perform well with the outlaw mufflers, jackpot headpipe and the ac/dc air intake or the s&s intake?
Jackpot 2/1/2, Street Outlaw mufflers, & AC/DC would be a killer setup with either of those cams. I would pick the cam in the area you are looking for the best gains; down low the 22X, or for upper RPM the 475.

For those following we are also offering a package deal for the following: .
Jackpot Street Outlaw mufflers (Chrome or Black, slash up or slash down)
Dynojet Power Vision PV-1 or PV-2 (black or chrome)
Fuel Moto AC/DC air cleaner
available for 2002-2018 FLH twin cam & M8 models.

We will be officially announcing this Monday, but we are taking orders now. This is special pricing not available thru our website, must call 920-423-3309 to order. (no additional coupons or discounts apply)

Last edited by sloufoot; 04-26-2018 at 11:17 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Max Headflow (04-26-2018)
Old 04-26-2018, 07:08 PM
RK14SGS
Road Warrior
Received 144 Likes on 108 Posts

Jackpot 2/1/2, Street Outlaw mufflers, & AC/DC would be a killer setup with either of those cams. I would pick the cam in the area you are looking for the best gains; down low the 22X, or for upper RPM the 475.

For those following we are also offering a package deal for the following:
Jackpot Street Outlaw mufflers (Chrome or Black, slash up or slash down)
Dynojet Power Vision PV-1 or PV-2 (black or chrome)
Fuel Moto AC/DC air cleaner
available for 2002-2018 FLH twin cam & M8 models.

We will be officially announcing this Monday, but we are taking orders now. This is special pricing not available thru our website, must call 920-423-3309 to order. (no additional coupons or discounts apply)
Jaw dropping deal... Wow!

Last edited by sloufoot; 04-26-2018 at 11:17 PM.
Old 04-30-2018, 08:55 PM
xnysgt
Tourer
Received 76 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by xnysgt
Jamie, you know you stuff. What you wrote about the exhaust slip-on sensitivity is dead on, as you know after our conversations with my recent issues.

So I'll share for whatever benefit it may provide the others here.
I have a '17 RGS with the M8 and after Fuel Moto posted their side by side comparisons for the various aftermarket cams available, I went with the S&S 475C cam with the pushrods and lifters from them (FM). I had already been running Bassani true duals with CFR knock-off slip-ons (cheapies at $200 shipped) and the Arlen Ness Monster Sucker a/c intake with a tune via Powervision 2.

After the cam install I had problems with significant hesitation, popping, bucking, etc. under acceleration between 1k and 2k RPMs in every gear. A convo with Jamie revealed that they were learning out about that very problem during customer installs, when using different exhaust components other than what they had tested with. Ultimately the S&S 475C cam is hyper sensitive to the exhaust and back-pressure, or in my case the lack of it because of the CFRacing slip-ons and they were likely the culprit.

I did two things to remedy the issues. First, I invested in a set of Bassani DNT slip-ons thinking I'd still have the exhaust note and sound I was looking for, but the 3-stepped baffle would help create more back-pressure. And it did, improving the issues about 75%. But there was still enough hesitation on initial throttling that the bike would jump when it finally caught and I wasn't a fan and it wouldn't do.

Second thing I did at Jamie's (FM) recommendation is to add a set of Thunder Torque Inserts (lollipops) from DK Customs, to the slip-ons. They were about $40 and bolted in easily replacing the baffle bolt by reusing that hole in the slip-on.

Once installed, these created the perfect amount to back-pressure to improve scavenging which resulted in increased torque and responsiveness. It was exactly what Jamie said that cam needed and I'm loving the increases the cam is providing.

The S&S 475C is about the most aggressive cam of all those tested and I love the lope at warm idle, but more importantly I'm loving the torque and power increases it's offering, despite my choice to go with true duals knowing what I'd lose with them. This cam really has awakened the M8, which is already a great motor.
I figured I should post a quick video of the bike after all was said and done.

The following 2 users liked this post by xnysgt:
betho61 (03-09-2019), cmashark (04-30-2018)
Old 05-08-2018, 11:51 AM
fuelmoto
Platinum Sponsor

For those following along here are a few M8 cam installs we have done in the last week.

The following users liked this post:
MTBIG G (07-11-2018)

Quick Reply: Milwaukee Eight 107 cam testing