Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2018 M8----Sumping? Failures?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2018, 06:40 PM
Timberwolf2017
Road Captain
Received 251 Likes on 158 Posts

My bike was produced on 10-17, how do I find out what day? or which oil pump?

Old 01-26-2018, 06:48 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,364 Likes on 2,619 Posts

My point all along has been, and I think validated by all the versions of the oil pumps, is that its more complex than just the oil pump.

The following users liked this post:
George Bryce (02-28-2018)
Old 01-26-2018, 07:06 PM
Heatwave
Received 1,077 Likes on 638 Posts

Originally Posted by FatBob2018
Yes, but point being -- they've had six oil pumps already for the M8; the "revised" oil pumps make #'s 7 and 8. And IINM there have been reports from owners that even those part # oil pumps have sumped on 'em.
Important to note that there will always be double the number of product revision codes as there are revisions. There are 2 separate oil pumps, by design, to start with. One for liquid cooled M8 bikes that do not have an oil cooler and a different oil pump for non-liquid cooled M8 bikes that have a different oil pump.

Therefore 6 oil pumps “versions” means 3 oil pump redesigns.

Last edited by Heatwave; 01-26-2018 at 07:08 PM.
Old 01-26-2018, 07:54 PM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru
Received 3,430 Likes on 1,577 Posts

Originally Posted by Heatwave
Important to note that there will always be double the number of product revision codes as there are revisions. There are 2 separate oil pumps, by design, to start with. One for liquid cooled M8 bikes that do not have an oil cooler and a different oil pump for non-liquid cooled M8 bikes that have a different oil pump.

Therefore 6 oil pumps “versions” means 3 oil pump redesigns.
The 6 versions they have made is now up to 7 and that is 7 of both the water cooled pump and 7 of the Oil cooled pump. There is also another rumor that there is still one more version each in the works.

Wmoor004 (02-16-2018)
Old 01-26-2018, 08:19 PM
Heatwave

Originally Posted by Steve Cole
The 6 versions they have made is now up to 7 and that is 7 of both the water cooled pump and 7 of the Oil cooled pump. There is also another rumor that there is still one more version each in the works.
Do you have 7 oil pump product codes for liquid-cooled M8 bikes? According to the latest M1450 Service Bulletin there are 3 product codes for liquid-cooled oil pumps and 3 separate product codes for non-liquid cooled oil pumps. The latest product code can be counted as 2 codes since it represents both pre and post 10/17 oil pumps.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/attac...22-updated.pdf

Old 01-26-2018, 08:38 PM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru
Received 3,430 Likes on 1,577 Posts

I have in the office 6 different pump designs. Many of them have the exact same part number on them as HD did not change the part number nor add a version number. For awhile they were adding small marks on the pump body but at some point stopped that too. So this is why its hard to track them all as you can get the same part number today as you could before but they are different pumps. Thats just why with the current part number you must also look for date code on the box. So the Service bulletin doesn't come close to telling the whole story.

Now in the past every manufacture I know of revises the part number when the part is changed! HD used to do this as well, but for some reason has stopped and just decided to change the part and leave no paper trail it was changed!

Old 01-26-2018, 08:45 PM
Heatwave

I have in the office 6 different pump designs. Many of them have the exact same part number on them as HD did not change the part number nor add a version number. For awhile they were adding small marks on the pump body but at some point stopped that too. So this is why its hard to track them all as you can get the same part number today as you could before but they are different pumps. Thats just why with the current part number you must also look for date code on the box. So the Service bulletin doesn't come close to telling the whole story.

Now in the past every manufacture I know of revises the part number when the part is changed! HD used to do this as well, but for some reason has stopped and just decided to change the part and leave no paper trail it was changed!
Thanks for the explanation.

sportglide (01-27-2018)
Old 01-27-2018, 06:04 AM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,364 Likes on 2,619 Posts

They must be thinking that at this rate they'd run out of alphabet and have to go to AA, AB, AC, etc. LOL.

Old 01-27-2018, 06:53 AM
sportglide
Cruiser
Received 80 Likes on 45 Posts
Default question

Originally Posted by DRBUICK
yes happened this morning
What kind of rpm's were you running at what speed? you have a 107 upgraded to the 114?

Old 01-27-2018, 07:29 AM
martin10
Road Warrior
Received 504 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by Timberwolf2017
My bike was produced on 10-17, how do I find out what day? or which oil pump?
You will not get any information from Harley as to what oil pump is in the bike. When I called their tech support they told me to have the dealer check it. Like the dealer is going to tear down the bike without being paid for it. I thought that was a joke. They can tell you what day your bike was made if you call them and give them the VIN.

Quick Reply: 2018 M8----Sumping? Failures?