Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2018 M8----Sumping? Failures?

Old 01-28-2018, 06:18 AM
harleytacticalnut
Cruiser
Received 57 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Cole
I have in the office 6 different pump designs. Many of them have the exact same part number on them as HD did not change the part number nor add a version number. For awhile they were adding small marks on the pump body but at some point stopped that too. So this is why its hard to track them all as you can get the same part number today as you could before but they are different pumps. Thats just why with the current part number you must also look for date code on the box. So the Service bulletin doesn't come close to telling the whole story.

Now in the past every manufacture I know of revises the part number when the part is changed! HD used to do this as well, but for some reason has stopped and just decided to change the part and leave no paper trail it was changed!
Yeah it’s called a lemon law or heck even a class action lawsuit. I am all in.

Old 01-28-2018, 10:24 AM
triumph900
Road Captain
Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Timberwolf2017
My bike was produced on 10-17, how do I find out what day? or which oil pump?
You may be able to determine the exact date the bike was built, but I doubt you can find the date the engine was built.

My 2018, 100% stock 114 Fatbob is still in shop waiting on a new oil pump. I’ve actually thought about trading it for newer (2018 build date), but I’m really skeptical HD has really solved this yet.

Old 01-28-2018, 10:49 AM
purpledeuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 642 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by triumph900
You may be able to determine the exact date the bike was built, but I doubt you can find the date the engine was built.

My 2018, 100% stock 114 Fatbob is still in shop waiting on a new oil pump. I’ve actually thought about trading it for newer (2018 build date), but I’m really skeptical HD has really solved this yet.
They haven’t and when they won’t, they’ll leave it to the aftermarket to fix the problem

Old 01-28-2018, 01:40 PM
BigRed117
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,049 Likes on 557 Posts

Originally Posted by triumph900

Frankly I would be reticent to do anything until the sumping issue is solved. As Mr. Coles mentioned they are now on their seventh iteration of an “upgraded” oil pump. I am afraid they may be using the ole “swag” method of solving this problem. “SWAG” = Scientific Wild *** Guess”!

Old 02-04-2018, 03:24 AM
HDs4me
Cruiser
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

I have in the office 6 different pump designs. Many of them have the exact same part number on them as HD did not change the part number nor add a version number. For awhile they were adding small marks on the pump body but at some point stopped that too. So this is why its hard to track them all as you can get the same part number today as you could before but they are different pumps. Thats just why with the current part number you must also look for date code on the box. So the Service bulletin doesn't come close to telling the whole story.

Now in the past every manufacture I know of revises the part number when the part is changed! HD used to do this as well, but for some reason has stopped and just decided to change the part and leave no paper trail it was changed!
Many of them have the exact same part number on them as HD did not change the part number nor add a version number.

that is because it isn't a part number, it is a casting number, take two items with the same casting number, machine them differently and you have two different parts and two different part numbers but both items have the same casting number, this is not something new, HD has been doing it for years

Old 02-04-2018, 02:54 PM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru
Received 3,411 Likes on 1,566 Posts

Originally Posted by HDs4me
Many of them have the exact same part number on them as HD did not change the part number nor add a version number.

that is because it isn't a part number, it is a casting number, take two items with the same casting number, machine them differently and you have two different parts and two different part numbers but both items have the same casting number, this is not something new, HD has been doing it for years

I agree with your statement to a point. So explain why we have different casting numbers but the same part number for the final part? MoCo has made various revisions in the same casting and called them different part numbers ONLY some of the time. Other times, the part number remains the same, casting number remains the same yet the parts are different and we are suppose to look at the date code on the box. Just a **** poor way of handling it in my book.

Old 02-04-2018, 06:05 PM
VDeuce
Road Warrior
Received 403 Likes on 257 Posts

Will be interesting to see how the Feuling pumps work...

Old 02-04-2018, 07:59 PM
Timberwolf2017
Road Captain
Received 251 Likes on 158 Posts

I agree with your statement to a point. So explain why we have different casting numbers but the same part number for the final part? MoCo has made various revisions in the same casting and called them different part numbers ONLY some of the time. Other times, the part number remains the same, casting number remains the same yet the parts are different and we are suppose to look at the date code on the box. Just a **** poor way of handling it in my book.

One has to wonder what the logic is behind this. It would be easier to keep up with a revision if it had a new part number, no confusion for dealers/customers, unless HD does not want anyone to keep up

Old 02-04-2018, 09:28 PM
MotoJockey
Stellar HDF Member

Received 3,056 Likes on 1,256 Posts

Originally Posted by Timberwolf2017
One has to wonder what the logic is behind this. It would be easier to keep up with a revision if it had a new part number, no confusion for dealers/customers, unless HD does not want anyone to keep up
That's kinda my thought on it..........

Old 02-04-2018, 10:01 PM
sixguns
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,458 Likes on 755 Posts

So, back to the question. 2018 M8 ----sumping? Failures? Or are we just into bitching now.

The following users liked this post:
sectime (06-16-2018)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2018 M8----Sumping? Failures?