Sponsored by:

Street Cannons installed today

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2018, 07:21 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,542 Likes on 4,431 Posts

Originally Posted by fordhd2005
I have the PN 65100078 and mine "gurgles".. Perhaps this is a stupid question but I have to ask... What do the caps have to do with the sound of the pipes? I thought they were just for looks. Maybe certain caps direct the gurgling sound so it's not as obvious? I've noticed the noise but it really hasn't bothered me but can be a tad annoying if you're on and off the throttle constantly in traffic..
another thing is, the OEM mufflers gurgle it's just with the Canons it's more pronounced so working as designed from the factory

Old 02-08-2018, 09:23 AM
CageyKG
Cruiser
Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

I wonder if swapping out the head pipe will reduce and/or eliminate the gurgling?

I am ordering a set of Street Cannons soon and have the FM head pipe, so I guess I'll find out soon enough. I plan to get the slash tips though.

Old 02-08-2018, 09:31 AM
GliderXXX
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by lyork
I’ve had about 7 people message me when I comment on threads about the gurgle. A few have changed out to the two piece and came back to say “thanks, that solved it”. The two in my HOG chapter I mentioned before were chomping at the bit to buy some other slip-ons as they hated the gurgle that much (as did my wife). They changed to two-piece and it went away.

Here is another member that reached out to me about it ...start on page 2

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/milwa...ion-led-3.html
Thanks. I actually couldn't tell from reading if his change fixed the gurgle or not but its further documentation that there is a difference. The fact that you know several people, including yourself, as well as the parts guy at the local dealer who has blunt tips say the "two-piece" don't do it has me a little concerned about a leak. The bikes runs great and torqued them down to spec but I did reuse the clamps with each change. I know I know..have done this before on other bikes and they work fine, but might try new ones today.
I also noted a bit of condensation drip on initial start up at the left pipe header to muffler connection. It went away with tightening.
Then you have other two-piece users who say theirs also have the sound...hard to figure. As I said I only have 50 miles on these pipes and love how they are performing but it would be perfect without the gurgle. If it's Normal I can live with it.

Old 02-08-2018, 09:31 AM
lyork
Stellar HDF Member
Received 450 Likes on 318 Posts

It’s the exiting flow as I understand it, the two piece smooths this out and helps alleviate the gurgling. Crazy thing to me is this...never really was an issue until the M8. Mjwebb is probably right, that its the headpipe causing most of the issue

Old 02-08-2018, 09:33 AM
GliderXXX
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by CageyKG
I wonder if swapping out the head pipe will reduce and/or eliminate the gurgling?

I am ordering a set of Street Cannons soon and have the FM head pipe, so I guess I'll find out soon enough. I plan to get the slash tips though.
I don't know for sure but to be clear I'm running the slash 2 piece tips with gurgle.

Old 02-08-2018, 09:37 AM
GliderXXX
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by lyork
It’s the exiting flow as I understand it, the two piece smooths this out and helps alleviate the gurgling. Crazy thing to me is this...never really was an issue until the M8. Mjwebb is probably right, that its the headpipe causing most of the issue
Craziest thing for me is that my 2 piece don't alleviate gurgling. Maybe today at the dealer I'll see what real gurgling sounds like with the other style end caps and see what you mean by smoothing out and alleviating the sound.

Old 02-08-2018, 09:40 AM
CageyKG
Cruiser

Originally Posted by GliderXXX
I don't know for sure but to be clear I'm running the slash 2 piece tips with gurgle.
Stock head pipe or aftermarket though?

Old 02-08-2018, 10:04 AM
bradn
Road Master
Received 216 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by CageyKG

I loved the SE's until I added the FM head pipe. Wound up with the Rinehart 4.5's and really like that combination.

OP - glad you found the pipes that work for you. Exhaust sound is very subjective. The important part is that you like them!

Old 02-08-2018, 10:05 AM
riknbeth
Road Master
Received 189 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by GliderXXX
After running stock for 5k miles, I went with Rinehart Motopro45's, back to stock, back to Motopro's after Stage 1, then 18 CVO mufflers. Today I fitted the SE Cannons with 2 piece slash cut. Here's a quick synopsis of them all.

Stock-opened up nicely after 1k miles and performed great.

Rineharts- Beautiful pipes but lost torque and couldn't handle the drone at cruise.

CVO's-More quiet than stock but good all around performers. They just had no real sound.

Street Cannons-Great performance so far with no low end torque loss. Very linear power delivery. Much louder on the throttle than I expected but sound pretty good. Nice and quiet at cruise. Seems real,y right for the M8 motor.

One thing I don't care for is the decel and even up shift gurgle. It bugs me more than I would have expected but I may get used to it.
Do all SE end caps for M8's produce the gurgle? I was told slash cuts didn't but they do.
I also went HD street Cannons. Nothing else available at the time. I have 14K miles on them now with no issues. I know some folks had issues but guess I am lucky. After about 5K miles they really opened up nicely. No regrets here. Loud enough but not obnoxious. Good luck!

Old 02-08-2018, 10:09 AM
CageyKG
Cruiser

Originally Posted by bradn
I loved the SE's until I added the FM head pipe. Wound up with the Rinehart 4.5's and really like that combination.

OP - glad you found the pipes that work for you. Exhaust sound is very subjective. The important part is that you like them!
Whoa! What didn't you like about them after you installed the new head pipe? Was it the sound or the performance?

Quick Reply: Street Cannons installed today