Novice
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

sorry, got posted on wrong thread

Old 12-12-2021, 11:41 AM
BSargent
Novice
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sgt_gman2005
Same here, different sound output between different tips. I ended up with the 2-piece slash tips. The”gargle” sound definitely went away after completing multiple autotune.

Mods:
Screamin Eagle A/C
Screamin Eagle Street Cannon with 2-piece slant tips
Fuel Moto 2/1/2 headpipe
Power Vision

sgt_gman2005, what part number are your chrome tips?

Old 12-15-2021, 04:02 PM
mikes300
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 482 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by BSargent
sgt_gman2005, what part number are your chrome tips?
pretty sure there is only one option for the chrome 2 piece slash cut tips, I have the same ones only in black, zero gargle. never knew it was a thing as that's all I've ever run on my cannons.

https://www.harley-davidson.com/us/e...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

Old 12-17-2021, 03:08 PM
lefty33
Road Warrior
Received 621 Likes on 434 Posts

First off...yes I realize this is a 3 year old thread that has popped up a few times over that time and was resurrected recently again. I have the 2-piece, slash cut, end caps and no I do not have the "gurgling" or if I do, I don't notice it. Caught my eye as I'm dealing with Street Cannons on my M8 and hoping some of the Street Cannon experts are still around.

My first question...are there a couple of different kinds of the Cannons (and I don't mean gen 1 & 2)? Here's my story...Just over a year ago I purchased a set of lightly used Street Cannons. Installed them and ran them most of this summer. Love the look, sound & performance! Toward the end of the summer my left muffler developed the dreaded rattle and progressively got worse. Took them off and took them apart as much as I could. Unfortunately they seem to be sealed and without cutting them apart, there's no way of getting into them to try & repair. What to do? Well...as I really liked these, I found another used set (here from a Forum member) and bought them.

The 2nd set seem to be solid with no rattle (keeping my fingers crossed). They're both first gen I believe (have the actual emblem...not etched) but here's the difference though. My first set have a short baffle/insert (pictured below) in the end, held in place with 3 machine screws. The 2nd set I got, do not have these at all. I installed them as is and ran them one afternoon and don't like them...louder with a fair bit of decel noise (gurgling?) and definitely lost some bottom end grunt.

Thoughts? I may try to drill and tap this 2nd set to install these short baffles/inserts in them and hopefully they will sound & perform like the first set.

Old 12-18-2021, 04:49 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,189 Likes on 2,456 Posts

i have the complete street cannon exhaust system with the cats relocated from the header to the mufflers. mine have/had the short secondary baffles riveted in the end of the exhaust. after installation, the exhaust was very quiet so i drilled out the rivets and removed the little baffles. the sound was much better, but i did notice a slight torque dip at lower rpm. so i replaced the baffle in the right muffler only. the sound changed only very slightly, but i did pick up most of the torque that i had previously lost. i'm happy with it this way. and i don't get any 'gurgling' either, not with both baffles removed, installed or one only.

The following users liked this post:
lefty33 (12-18-2021)
Old 12-18-2021, 10:58 AM
lefty33
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by skratch
i have the complete street cannon exhaust system with the cats relocated from the header to the mufflers. mine have/had the short secondary baffles riveted in the end of the exhaust. after installation, the exhaust was very quiet so i drilled out the rivets and removed the little baffles. the sound was much better, but i did notice a slight torque dip at lower rpm. so i replaced the baffle in the right muffler only. the sound changed only very slightly, but i did pick up most of the torque that i had previously lost. i'm happy with it this way. and i don't get any 'gurgling' either, not with both baffles removed, installed or one only.
Thanks for the response skratch! I thought you were on to something. At first read, I figured then that the first set of mufflers I got with the short baffles must be from a full system with the cats in the mufflers like yours.
So then I thought I must have been running all this summer with 2 cats...one still in the stock head pipe, and now one in the mufflers. Like I said though...sound & performance were satisfying.

But then I got to thinking...the mufflers that come with the full exhaust system have different sized inlets on the mufflers compared to stock...both are the same size as opposed to the right side being bigger on stock head pipe.
Both sets I have fit my stock head pipe...one big, one small inlet. The difference being the first set have the short baffles (sound and perform better), the second set do not have them (nor did they ever have them as there are no mounting holes).

I'm still confused...but that happens easily sometimes

Old 12-18-2021, 11:12 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,542 Likes on 4,431 Posts

Originally Posted by lefty33
Thanks for the response skratch! I thought you were on to something. At first read, I figured then that the first set of mufflers I got with the short baffles must be from a full system with the cats in the mufflers like yours.
So then I thought I must have been running all this summer with 2 cats...one still in the stock head pipe, and now one in the mufflers. Like I said though...sound & performance were satisfying.

But then I got to thinking...the mufflers that come with the full exhaust system have different sized inlets on the mufflers compared to stock...both are the same size as opposed to the right side being bigger on stock head pipe.
Both sets I have fit my stock head pipe...one big, one small inlet. The difference being the first set have the short baffles (sound and perform better), the second set do not have them (nor did they ever have them as there are no mounting holes).

I'm still confused...but that happens easily sometimes
this would make an amazing 'story problem' for a grade school teacher for her class!

Old 12-18-2021, 02:25 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,189 Likes on 2,456 Posts

Originally Posted by lefty33

yep, answered your own question. wouldn't happen.

suppose you could always try inserting the smaller baffle on the right side pipe and see if that makes any difference in performance.

Old 12-18-2021, 09:07 PM
lefty33
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by skratch
yep, answered your own question. wouldn't happen.

suppose you could always try inserting the smaller baffle on the right side pipe and see if that makes any difference in performance.
Yah...I'll most likely drill & tap (or rivet) these ones so I can install, and try the short baffles. I'd like to stay with the Street Cannons as I do really like the sound & performane. Plus, I think they look great as well with them being 4 1/2" with the mounting being recessed so it brings the muffler up nice and tight to the bags.

Still curious though as to why my first set had the short baffles and the second set doesn't? Completely changes they way they work & sound. Other than that they're identical. Unless maybe the original owner of the first set installed the baffles himself? But where would he have got them? Anyway, maybe I'll spend some quality time on Google to search if I can find any old info, instructions, etc on the gen 1 Cannons. After all, I do have all kinds of time...all winter

The following users liked this post:
skratch (12-19-2021)