Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Giving up on waiting

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2018, 12:11 PM
robbie52
Road Warrior
Received 138 Likes on 100 Posts

Not sure how long I will be able to hold out buying the Vance and Hines Pro pipe and FP3.

The following users liked this post:
Kyle Moore (02-11-2018)
Old 02-11-2018, 12:15 PM
FatBob2018
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,217 Likes on 1,263 Posts

Originally Posted by Kyle Moore
I just hate leaving stuff stock, it sucks haha
You don't have to leave it stock -- you can go with a Harley Stage II cam, or a Stage III big(ger) bore kit, or a Stage IV, and still maintain your warranty.

The Stage II gives you an extra 20 to 34% more horsepower, so it's not like it's nothing.

If you go PowerVision, your warranty is gone, period, even if you used all Harley parts otherwise.

Kyle Moore (02-11-2018)
Old 02-11-2018, 01:27 PM
Kyle Moore
Road Master
Received 224 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by FatBob2018
You don't have to leave it stock -- you can go with a Harley Stage II cam, or a Stage III big(ger) bore kit, or a Stage IV, and still maintain your warranty.

The Stage II gives you an extra 20 to 34% more horsepower, so it's not like it's nothing.

If you go PowerVision, your warranty is gone, period, even if you used all Harley parts otherwise.

Ive thought about that too. I think the bike has plenty of power, I'm just a maniac. Ive considered stage 2 and 3, I worry about the issues I've heard about 'em. and when I can put a real cam in it later itll just be icing on the cake, I just don't like buying stuff twice. Stage 2 I might be interested in because Ill retain my warranty and get a nice power bump. Then HD's plan is working though, they got me to buy emissions legal power parts and I don't believe in that haha. My dad and I have a GT500 that makes 1004whp on C16, I'm used to doing cool **** like that not putting emissions legal cams in my stuff haha.

Old 02-11-2018, 01:32 PM
SWThomas
Stellar HDF Member
Received 993 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by CageyKG
The headpipe doesn't necessarily add much noise to the exhaust and I believe the OP was asking because he wants more POWER not noise. Spending $500 just to make things a little louder seems a bit of a waste even for the most die-hard sound-junkie out there.
Doesn't a headpipe with no cat reduce torque due to the loss of back pressure? Asking for a friend.

Old 02-11-2018, 01:38 PM
Kyle Moore
Road Master
Received 224 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by SWThomas

Doesn't a headpipe with no cat reduce torque due to the loss of back pressure? Asking for a friend.
depends on the entire setup, a stock engine with a stock cam I think some of the headpipes can reduce low end torque. or at least the low end feel. I have read the VH powerduals don't work very well on an M8 for example, the M8 sounds like it likes a 2 into 1 exhaust. Even FMs head pipe kinda looks like its designed to work as a 2 into 1. I think some of the headpipes that hit the market early like the power duals were just sort of adapted to fit the new bike, I bet not much R&D was actually done to optimize it. FM waited quite awhile to release there's, knowing how those guys do things, and looking at how different it is than the TC pipe tells me I might not be wrong on that. Even the "tormentor" headers that look like true duals have a cross over in them.

Old 02-11-2018, 01:46 PM
T^2
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,149 Likes on 717 Posts

Back pressure... DK talked about back pressure recently in another post...

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...l#post17075742

Relevant part:

Originally Posted by DK Custom

One of the strongest myths regarding Harley's is: They need back-pressure to run well.

This back-pressure myth is too strong for me to spend time fighting it.

Please do not take offense, nor think I am backing down from my statement if I do not respond, taking the time to engage in conversation on the subject.

I'll simply state:

Back-pressure fights AGAINST performance. Back-pressure holds back power, not unlike a 300 lb. rider will reduce acceleration more than a 150 lb. rider.

The reason some folks think that back pressure is good, is because when they put a baffle in (which creates back-pressure) the bike runs stronger. BUT, it is NOT running stronger because of the back-pressure, it is running stronger in spite of the back-pressure, because it is reducing Reversion.

It is wrongly assumed that the back-pressure that baffles create increases power. It is the reduction in reversion from baffles that increase power.

The baffle is reducing power because of the back-pressure, but it is increasing power by Reversion reduction. In most cases the power gained by reduction of reversion is More than the power lost to back pressure, so there is a net gain of more power.

But it is IN SPITE of back pressure, not because of it.

CageyKG (02-11-2018)
Old 02-11-2018, 01:55 PM
T^2
Stellar HDF Member

As to the OP's original topic...

I don't have to worry about it. Why? Because I won't even consider a M8 until I see some satisfactory change in status when it comes to the sumping issue and perhaps the transfer problem (if I were to consider a touring model). That may mean that I have to wait a few years before they get this worked out. But so be it, I'm in no hurry. If I had already bought a M8, I would definitely be interested in maintaining the warranty.

Now, if it was a new Sporty that I had just purchased, then I'd probably not worry about it too much and would likely do what I wanted.

Last edited by T^2; 02-11-2018 at 02:07 PM.
Kyle Moore (02-11-2018)
Old 02-11-2018, 02:08 PM
tbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 690 Likes on 465 Posts

In the sixties and seventies we welded A bolt with a washer in the header to make back pressure. Then they made these fancy mufflers to make the epa happy,so yes you will lose bottom end.

Old 02-11-2018, 02:15 PM
T^2
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by tbob
In the sixties and seventies we welded A bolt with a washer in the header to make back pressure. Then they made these fancy mufflers to make the epa happy,so yes you will lose bottom end.
Will you?

As to the bolt/washer... or thumbscrew... or lollipops... or TTI's sold by DK... Their primary function is to dampen the reflected waves - or IOW's reduce reversion.

CageyKG (02-11-2018)
Old 02-11-2018, 02:43 PM
Blue Tick
Road Master
Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Kyle Moore
depends on the entire setup, a stock engine with a stock cam I think some of the headpipes can reduce low end torque. or at least the low end feel. I have read the VH powerduals don't work very well on an M8 for example, the M8 sounds like it likes a 2 into 1 exhaust. Even FMs head pipe kinda looks like its designed to work as a 2 into 1. I think some of the headpipes that hit the market early like the power duals were just sort of adapted to fit the new bike, I bet not much R&D was actually done to optimize it. FM waited quite awhile to release there's, knowing how those guys do things, and looking at how different it is than the TC pipe tells me I might not be wrong on that. Even the "tormentor" headers that look like true duals have a cross over in them.
This is what I am hearing and understanding, the M8 exhaust acts more like a 2-1. My bike came from the dealer with a stage 2 setup already on it and cobra powerpro headers and neighbor haters already on it. Wasn't my preferred choice combination but I got a smoking deal. I'm pretty sure cobra was the 1st out with a header, followed soon by v&h and as stated these were adapted to "fit." There are 2 dealers that I know of who will tell you they think the HD epa stuff is ****, but HD is doing what it has to do. The shop mgr at 1 of them is running the 120 kit on his personal bike and has stated he has experienced 0 issues with it and he dogs on the bike. He also mentioned when installing/testing he found the best performance was with the FM headpipe and he tested a few different ones. He said that header had the best performance of the ones he tried. I've got 6200 or so on mine now and had no issues, sumping or transfer, does that mean it won't happen, no, but I do know with what I currently have I'm not happy. When I do finally makeup my mind on what I'm doing, I will also put in the fueling cam plate and oil pump. Who knows, a baker may be in the mix as well.

Quick Reply: Giving up on waiting