Sponsored by:

Giving up on waiting

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2018, 03:46 AM
Kyle Moore
Road Master
Received 224 Likes on 153 Posts
Default Giving up on waiting

I just don’t think I can wait 2 years to put a header on my bike! I have 5500 trouble free miles on it now, I’ve owned it since August. I’m thinking....if I make it to 10k and don’t have any issues I wanna open this thing up and put a cam in it! What do you guys think? Sounds like the dealers don’t tell on you, it’s only if Harley comes askin that your warranty gets flagged.

Old 02-11-2018, 04:13 AM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,362 Likes on 2,617 Posts

I'm pretty certain that warranty repairs above a certain amount require approval from the moco. Your dealer could decide to eat any repairs of course.

My troubles showed up at 5600 miles, just sayin.

Old 02-11-2018, 06:09 AM
CageyKG
Cruiser
Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Kyle Moore
I just don’t think I can wait 2 years to put a header on my bike! I have 5500 trouble free miles on it now, I’ve owned it since August. I’m thinking....if I make it to 10k and don’t have any issues I wanna open this thing up and put a cam in it! What do you guys think? Sounds like the dealers don’t tell on you, it’s only if Harley comes askin that your warranty gets flagged.
I have an aftermarket stage 2 in mine. My dealer is willing to overlook certain things, but they basically said there’s nothing they can do for me if I hooked up an aftermarket tuner to it, which obviously i did. Your dealer may be different.

I’ve never worried about warranties with any of my bikes. For the amount of people that saved money buying extended warranties, the same amount of people lost money doing the same thing. I always have cash reserves just in case of emergencies, so I’m not caught off guard anyway.

The following 3 users liked this post by CageyKG:
bradn (02-11-2018), mjwebb (02-11-2018), Wmoor004 (02-13-2018)
Old 02-11-2018, 06:19 AM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,139 Likes on 6,210 Posts

RCX Tormentor headers sound and perform well with most slip ons. Check out West End Motorsports videis about them. They sound especially good with S&S MK45 skip ons.

I recently read about someone's bike suddenly start sumping at 15,000 miles and was trouble free before that. Until the cause and fix is known, it is impossible to know for certain if you will have a problem or not.

Never believe a damn thing the dealer tells you about anything.

Old 02-11-2018, 06:25 AM
CageyKG
Cruiser
Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Prot
Completely agree with that statement.

I also don’t believe that warranties provide the peace of mind most people seem to find in them. I’m a cynic, so I always assume the company (any company) will find a way out of honoring it. So if you already expect to be disappointed, you never will. Lol

Old 02-11-2018, 07:14 AM
tbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 690 Likes on 465 Posts

If I was younger I would do the same thing. Wouldn't give a dam what they covered. Getting older I hate wrenching more and more and enjoy just riding.And my hearing is shot so I can't enjoy loud pipes like I used to.So I vote stick it to the man and make that
mother F---ker scream!

The following 4 users liked this post by tbob:
chilidipper (02-12-2018), Kyle Moore (02-11-2018), sportglide (02-11-2018), Wmoor004 (02-13-2018)
Old 02-11-2018, 07:16 AM
sixguns
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,458 Likes on 755 Posts

Just open that thing up and put a cam in it now! and enjoy your bike Now! Because waiting 10K dont mean a thing, Mine took a crap at 15,500 miles.
Pony up for the latest oil pump while in there and awaay you go.

Unless your willing to accept ownership of your bike and whatever may or may not come down the road, Your better off riding it stock and get an extended warranty. I would rather except ownership of my bike and do what I want with it. In my opinion, the warranty thing is like THEY own your bike and you have to follow THEIR rules to ride it. Warranty is great for when you get your bike home and discover a defect, after that I have no use for it. Besides that, life is too short. stop worrying.

Last edited by sixguns; 02-11-2018 at 07:49 AM. Reason: added content.
The following 2 users liked this post by sixguns:
Kyle Moore (02-11-2018), PistolPete83 (02-11-2018)
Old 02-11-2018, 07:27 AM
Yamaharley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 545 Likes on 421 Posts

Originally Posted by Prot
RCX Tormentor headers sound and perform well with most slip ons. Check out West End Motorsports videis about them. They sound especially good with S&S MK45 skip ons.

I recently read about someone's bike suddenly start sumping at 15,000 miles and was trouble free before that. Until the cause and fix is known, it is impossible to know for certain if you will have a problem or not.

Yes! Until the issue is known and what causes it do whatever to keep your warranty. With all the bull Harley spews I don't understand how anyone can trust their dealer...

Old 02-11-2018, 07:39 AM
touchdown
Supporter

Received 1,658 Likes on 945 Posts

do it

Old 02-11-2018, 07:58 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,505 Likes on 4,415 Posts

do you tour a lot of long distances? might be hesitant to kick 18 months of powertrain warranty to the curb if so..

on the other hand if you're not thrilled with the performance and the upgrades will make you happier then life is short so make yourself happy when you can

it's your money and your consequences..think it through and make a decision that you can sleep at night with

Quick Reply: Giving up on waiting