Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Fix Is In!!!

Old 02-24-2018, 06:55 PM
thereal142
Road Captain
Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

I guess I don't think it's gonna be a problem with a nitrile seal. My old panhead had a seal in the clutch hub nut; why should this require a seal much different in quality/technology. Hell, a leather packing would probably work... We're not talking very tight tolerances here. Just my opinion.

Old 02-24-2018, 08:23 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,218 Likes on 3,603 Posts

Originally Posted by $tonecold
The problem is the seal can’t be over .25” in width. Since Harley didn’t design this cover with the seal, we’re just working with what is available. I can’t guarantee it, but I think we’ll be Ok.
Nitril is fine or the tranny.. Doubt it will ever see 250.. If you can find one in viton, it'll be a plus tho. You could charge an extra couple bucks.

Old 02-24-2018, 08:24 PM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,729 Likes on 926 Posts

Originally Posted by thereal142
I guess I don't think it's gonna be a problem with a nitrile seal. My old panhead had a seal in the clutch hub nut; why should this require a seal much different in quality/technology. Hell, a leather packing would probably work... We're not talking very tight tolerances here. Just my opinion.
I think you are probably correct. There is little to no pressure on it. All it needs to do is block the flow. We’ll see shortly.

Old 02-24-2018, 08:45 PM
$tonecold
Club Member

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
Nitril is fine or the tranny.. Doubt it will ever see 250.. If you can find one in viton, it'll be a plus tho. You could charge an extra couple bucks.
Don’t you mean you could charge a couple extra bucks. You are set up way better than I am to do this. I’ve been saying somebody that has the ability to do machine work needs to pick up this ball and run with it. I have no idea what the demand will be, but it could be some extra side income if you want it.

Old 02-25-2018, 09:30 AM
chuckie
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If there is around 1/4 " room, or more or less room ,why not eliminate the nut and tap fit into the bore a plug made out of silicone bearing material with a 1 or 2 or 3 thou clearance hole for the shaft . Bearing bronze could also be used .You could tap a couple of small holes in the face of the plug and flat head screws or set screws that are held with locktite could seal the holes and could be removed if the plug needed to be pulled out

Old 02-25-2018, 09:40 AM
tbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 690 Likes on 465 Posts

Don’t you mean you could charge a couple extra bucks. You are set up way better than I am to do this. I’ve been saying somebody that has the ability to do machine work needs to pick up this ball and run with it. I have no idea what the demand will be, but it could be some extra side income if you want it.
I know I'm not buying private when this could be a HD problem. That's why
I'm keeping a warranty or service plan. As far as I'm concerned the power train
is Harley's problem.

Old 02-25-2018, 10:18 AM
Retrop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by tbob
I know I'm not buying private when this could be a HD problem. That's why
I'm keeping a warranty or service plan. As far as I'm concerned the power train
is Harley's problem.
I agree totally. But, lets step back a little ways and look at the problem from the standpoint of the MOCO. If the "fix is in" is really a working solution why has the MOCO not come up with it themselves? They certainly have more resources than their customers do. Plus, they have the knowledge because they designed and built the M8 and the transmission in the beginning. If anybody should know how to fix the damn things, it should be the MOCO. So the real question to me is "WHY" has the MOCO not come forward and fixed this after all these months?
Is it cost? They surely don't want to suffer through another recall as they would loose customer confidence, plus it would cost millions to fix all the bikes. Maybe they think if they don't address the issue, it will all blow over and people will forget it ever happened? Since it does not appear to be a safety related issue the Feds are not going to make it a mandatory recall. So what it really boils down to is they don't have to fix all the affected bikes unless they want to do the right thing. Just because we have a 24 month warranty means little if the manufacturer refuses to cure the problem and fix the bikes. My feeling is that if they can't cure the problem they should buy the bikes back from the owners who bought them with the expectation they would operate properly and as advertised. I am old enough to know that is not likely to happen though.
Opinions?

Last edited by Retrop; 02-25-2018 at 10:25 AM.
Old 02-25-2018, 10:29 AM
$tonecold
Club Member

Originally Posted by chuckie
If there is around 1/4 " room, or more or less room ,why not eliminate the nut and tap fit into the bore a plug made out of silicone bearing material with a 1 or 2 or 3 thou clearance hole for the shaft . Bearing bronze could also be used .You could tap a couple of small holes in the face of the plug and flat head screws or set screws that are held with locktite could seal the holes and could be removed if the plug needed to be pulled out
What you are talking about sounds basically like the slinger the MOCO is offering as a solution. Does it work? There’s some evidence that in some instances it has and in other cases it has not. There’s one thing I know. A seal that works keeps oil in a vessel whether it be a transmission or an engine. If oil can’t get to the transfer point it won’t transfer.

Old 02-25-2018, 11:12 AM
texaswiz
Banned
Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

What you are talking about sounds basically like the slinger the MOCO is offering as a solution. Does it work? There’s some evidence that in some instances it has and in other cases it has not. There’s one thing I know. A seal that works keeps oil in a vessel whether it be a transmission or an engine. If oil can’t get to the transfer point it won’t transfer.
Is there any reason a simple labyrinth seal won't stop the fluid flow? You could just slip it over the push rod shaft.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Labyrinth_seal

Old 02-25-2018, 11:43 AM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru
Received 3,393 Likes on 1,560 Posts

Originally Posted by texaswiz
Is there any reason a simple labyrinth seal won't stop the fluid flow? You could just slip it over the push rod shaft.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Labyrinth_seal
If you seal the pushrod to the mainshaft you have to also add a vent for the primary.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The Fix Is In!!!