Sponsored by:

NEW S&S Sidewinder 2-1?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2018, 05:44 AM
CageyKG
Cruiser
Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts
Default NEW S&S Sidewinder 2-1?

S&S just released their new 2-1 exhaust system this month.

They have two versions apparently - one with a cat and one without. Interestingly enough, the dyno chart they posted shows the one with that cat actually performing better than the cat-less one.

This looks like a great alternative to the more expensive D&D Billet Cat and the curve of the Sidewinder doesn't have such an extreme bend to it (which I think makes it look better).

Anyone have any opinions? Are all 2-1's virtually the same as far as performance is concerned? Will there be a noticeable difference (performance-wise) if I swap out the Street Cannons I just bought for this?

Cat (Chrome)
https://www.sscycle.com/products/sid...dels-49-state/

Cat-less (Chrome)
https://www.sscycle.com/products/sid...-m8-fl-models/

Old 02-25-2018, 05:59 AM
badcooky
Banned
Received 473 Likes on 370 Posts

To me the cat pipe looks like it has some reversion around 2200 , I thought it might be the other way around ??
Could be tuning , someone with more knowledge than I will know.

Old 02-25-2018, 06:12 AM
Gordon61
Road Warrior
Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by CageyKG
Will there be a noticeable difference (performance-wise) if I swap out the Street Cannons I just bought for this?
Originally Posted by Steve Cole
On a stock 107 M8

Slipons, Air cleaner = ~ 3hp
Slipons, AirCleaner and good tune = ~6hp

There are people on this site claiming 9 - 12% from just an Air Cleaner and that is total BS on a M8. Uncontrolled or just being flat-out stupid in test methods is the only way I can see to get those type results. Same goes for those claiming 10 Hp from slipons and air cleaner for the 107 M8
S&S don't say if they tuned it or just swopped the bits ...if it was me I'd go for the one I like the look of.

Old 02-25-2018, 06:44 AM
CageyKG
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Gordon61
S&S don't say if they tuned it or just swopped the bits ...if it was me I'd go for the one I like the look of.
Yeah, I agree with what Steve says - my question was more along the lines of are all 2-1’s roughly the same performance-wise? I’m not claiming S&S’ test numbers are accurate, but I do believe that a 2-1 system has got to be better than most other systems and (hopefully) not suffer from low-end torque loss.

Old 02-25-2018, 07:02 AM
Gordon61
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by CageyKG
I do believe that a 2-1 system has got to be better than most other systems and (hopefully) not suffer from low-end torque loss.
So some say. There are those that suggest that a good 2-1-2 is just as good tho.

When I bought mine I had come to the conclusion there were more fan boys and marketing than actual real performance differences. Sound on the other hand seems to vary a lot. The disc system on the Supertrap are supposed to be "turnable" but look fugly to me personally.

I ended up going back to the stock header with non cat slip-ons because it I thought it "felt" better down low. Without any real back to back testing you will end up with 1001 opinions.

The following users liked this post:
CageyKG (02-25-2018)
Old 02-25-2018, 07:11 AM
Gordon61
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by DTTJGlide
I think the M8 engine design is best suited to a 2-1 exhaust, even more so than the TCs. If you look at the design of the stock headpipe it is basically a 2-1 with a dump off for the left side to keep the traditionalists happy. Remember the near outrage of the 2010 SG/RG with the single sided exhaust, it could hardly be called a 2-1 since the headpipe outlet was too small. There have been quite a few tests using 2-1s, D&D BilletCat, Thunderheader, & now the FM 2-1, all have seen very significant left side Tq increases. I believe partially do to the big difference in the ratio of intake to exhaust flow rates.
although I can't see what testing he was referring to and to be a little critical (sorry) I'm not sure what a dump off is other than a 2-1-2 rather than a 2-1-1

Jamies recent testing was with his 2-1-2 ...maybe he'll try his 2-1 for a comparison

Old 02-25-2018, 07:21 AM
CageyKG
Cruiser

although I can't see what testing he was referring to and to be a little critical (sorry) I'm not sure what a dump off is other than a 2-1-2 rather than a 2-1-1

Jamies recent testing was with his 2-1-2 ...maybe he'll try his 2-1 for a comparison
I know Darren (Durwood) over at Sheffer Performance did several tests with the Billet Cat. All of which looked impressive. I would’ve gotten the Billet Cat if not for the expense of it and because I hated the look of the shape of the rear pipe.

Old 02-25-2018, 10:43 AM
DTTJGlide
Stellar HDF Member
Received 229 Likes on 143 Posts
Talking

Jamie has already tested their 2-1 with the 222 cam & it showed a significant left side increase, keep up with the game. There are more tests than just on this forum,all have shown better low end tq with a 2-1. All you have to do is look at the design of the stock header, the left side just has a 1.75 inch pipe welded in at a 90* angle, very bad for flow. The right side is a 2.5 inch outlet into that muffler, guess which one is going to flow more? The left side, even at idle, is flowing substantially less than the right muffler. The left muffler is just a glorified ghost pipe that will see very little flow at upper RPMs. There are several single slip on mufflers that just cap off the left side outlet to make a low cost 2-1 with the stock headpipe, Khrome Werks has one they call The Torque Booster. Although I haven't seen any charts I've used their products & they perform as claimed. The ratio between intake port flow to exhaust port flow is greater than the TCs, the exhaust flow is a much less, making the exhaust much more critical to try to even out the flow.

The following users liked this post:
CageyKG (02-25-2018)
Old 02-25-2018, 11:01 AM
CageyKG
Cruiser

Originally Posted by DTTJGlide
Jamie has already tested their 2-1 with the 222 cam & it showed a significant left side increase, keep up with the game. There are more tests than just on this forum,all have shown better low end tq with a 2-1. All you have to do is look at the design of the stock header, the left side just has a 1.75 inch pipe welded in at a 90* angle, very bad for flow. The right side is a 2.5 inch outlet into that muffler, guess which one is going to flow more? The left side, even at idle, is flowing substantially less than the right muffler. The left muffler is just a glorified ghost pipe that will see very little flow at upper RPMs. There are several single slip on mufflers that just cap off the left side outlet to make a low cost 2-1 with the stock headpipe, Khrome Werks has one they call The Torque Booster. Although I haven't seen any charts I've used their products & they perform as claimed. The ratio between intake port flow to exhaust port flow is greater than the TCs, the exhaust flow is a much less, making the exhaust much more critical to try to even out the flow.
Based on that, and some other research obviously, I think I am going to return the Street Cannons and order the Sidewinder. So far it’s the only 2-1 I’ve found that I like the looks of.

Old 02-25-2018, 03:32 PM
Gordon61
Road Warrior

Deleted

Agreed, I wasn't keeping up and the chart is there for folks to draw their own conclusions

Last edited by Gordon61; 02-25-2018 at 04:25 PM. Reason: i'm a plank!

Quick Reply: NEW S&S Sidewinder 2-1?