Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

People say Harley’s are priced too high

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2018, 07:35 AM
load97
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 112 Likes on 99 Posts

It's overpriced, but... Maybe I'm just underpaid lol.

Old 02-26-2018, 07:41 AM
Fullbore55
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,632 Likes on 1,226 Posts

Yes, CVOs are very pricey, even compared to all other bikes.

Old 02-26-2018, 07:52 AM
Magnut1
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,684 Likes on 826 Posts

Here is why the price is so high in my opinion. I have a few friends that work union. One female in particular just started at $15.67 per hour. The other day, on a Sunday, her and another female on a different line were chatting that their lines have been down for 3 hours and they are sitting around making double time. Another lady I know, been there 9 years, would make triple time on holidays, her base pay was $22 per hour. So she was making $66 per hour, and bitching the whole time about the inefficiency of the team leaders and so forth. Why the F do we need to pay someone triple time to stand around and bitch, and the same ones will bitch because the new jeep they want is $50K. Stupid if you ask me.

The following users liked this post:
jd05flhtci (02-26-2018)
Old 02-26-2018, 08:38 AM
smkauffman
Cruiser
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

My wife bought a 2016 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk with a pretty fair amount of options and I bought a 2017 Ultra Limited. They cost almost exactly the same out the door...something just doesn't seem to add up when they are in the garage next to each other. Of course as noted earlier to get the Limited equivalent in any other brand it's right about the same price so it's not just the HD that seems a little high.

I haven't bought a new car since 1988 and probably never will as long as I can get something 3 years old for about half the original sticker price. I'll go ahead and let someone else take that hit. I did buy the bike new because the difference in price between a 2 to 3 year old model and new is not that great, definitely not nearly as much as the difference I see in cars and trucks. I also like the fact that the new bike hasn't been out doing burnouts at bike nights or otherwise abused which isn't as great of a concern with cars.

Old 02-26-2018, 09:24 AM
PDB17UltraRG
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 773 Likes on 735 Posts

Its what your looking for the name Harley-Davidson is going to cost you more right off the bat thats due to there past history and values of there bikes. But there market has been flooded trade in and there worth has taken a big dump. HD is not use to and hasn’t a clue how to compete with other manufacturers and there being forced to do so. Were losing riders as the Millennial dont ride they would much rather invest in campers and RVs has that Market has sold over 500,000 units last year alone to the 45 and younger crowds. Its what your looking if you want the extras HD is not the bike for you, try the Japan and German Models

Last edited by PDB17UltraRG; 02-26-2018 at 09:28 AM.
Old 02-26-2018, 09:52 AM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,365 Likes on 2,619 Posts

Originally Posted by smkauffman
My wife bought a 2016 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk with a pretty fair amount of options and I bought a 2017 Ultra Limited. They cost almost exactly the same out the door...something just doesn't seem to add up when they are in the garage next to each other.
Here's what doesnt add up: volume. Harley makes far fewer motorcycles per year than Chrysler makes cars. It makes a big difference in the cost per vehicle.

Eccool (02-28-2018)
Old 02-26-2018, 10:04 AM
smkauffman
Cruiser
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Keithhu
Here's what doesnt add up: volume. Harley makes far fewer motorcycles per year than Chrysler makes cars. It makes a big difference in the cost per vehicle.

I know when you start doing the in depth analysis of all the costs and such the volume is going to make a difference in the cost of producing an item and the HD may cost considerably more to produce than the Jeep. That would take a lot of data and research to determine. I'm just saying that at first glance when you see the bike next to a pretty nice SUV and they cost the same amount of money it is one reason people will say they cost too much.

Old 02-26-2018, 10:08 AM
Cbyway
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 786 Likes on 467 Posts

I paid less than $15k for a new 1984 Corvette, it had the new body style and computer dash. It was cool at the time but had to be the biggest pile of crap GM ever produced...shy of the Chevette. It had a 12 month / 12000 mile warranty, whichever came first. Look at what a new Ford, F350 diesel costs....a truck comparable to my 2002 model is over $65k and I paid $30k for mine only 16 years ago. Everything costs too much, not just Harleys. For $30k and above, the other bikes may be better equipped than Harleys. But, they are still just the other bikes as far as I am concerned. There are some really nice looking bikes out there, but nothing is as timeless and hearty as a Harley. To me they look like works of art. Art is expensive.

Old 02-26-2018, 10:56 AM
barneyboy
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,627 Likes on 1,532 Posts

Originally Posted by Magnut1
Here is why the price is so high in my opinion. I have a few friends that work union. One female in particular just started at $15.67 per hour. The other day, on a Sunday, her and another female on a different line were chatting that their lines have been down for 3 hours and they are sitting around making double time. Another lady I know, been there 9 years, would make triple time on holidays, her base pay was $22 per hour. So she was making $66 per hour, and bitching the whole time about the inefficiency of the team leaders and so forth. Why the F do we need to pay someone triple time to stand around and bitch, and the same ones will bitch because the new jeep they want is $50K. Stupid if you ask me.
Triple time on holidays is often misunderstood. She most likely would have received 8 hours holiday pay if she chose not to work the holiday. She was paid double time, plus holiday pay. IMO justified compensation for time away from family on a holiday.

LXT (02-26-2018)
Old 02-26-2018, 11:06 AM
Cbyway
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 786 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by barneyboy
Triple time on holidays is often misunderstood. She most likely would have received 8 hours holiday pay if she chose not to work the holiday. She was paid double time, plus holiday pay. IMO justified compensation for time away from family on a holiday.
I agree, however anyone being allowed to stand around doing nothing is poor management on whoever is responsible for running the place. I have 102 machine shop / rubber shop employees who I am responsible for. This is not a union facility and we work a lot of overtime. However, my guys know if the work is slow at any particular time they need to find something to do or they will go home. No one is exempt from sweeping, mopping, cleaning walls, machines, toilets or even picking up trash outside. Try that at a union facility. The third thing I will not tolerate after lying or stealing is someone saying "thats not my job."

Quick Reply: People say Harley’s are priced too high