Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

People say Harley’s are priced too high

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2018, 11:49 AM
5150northrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 206 Likes on 171 Posts

I'm Not happy that everything is going up but the paycheck... ie. taxes,cable tv, insurance, food, power, ECT but it is and that goes for Harley Davidson as well. So in the Immortal words of Joe Walsh get over it... nobody said life was fair. But life on a brand new Harley Davidson, we'll I'm willing to pay to get me some of that... lol bikes keep you right in the head... how much is that worth?

The following users liked this post:
TomcatCV62 (02-27-2018)
Old 02-26-2018, 11:59 AM
barneyboy
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,624 Likes on 1,530 Posts

Originally Posted by Cbyway
I agree, however anyone being allowed to stand around doing nothing is poor management on whoever is responsible for running the place. I have 102 machine shop / rubber shop employees who I am responsible for. This is not a union facility and we work a lot of overtime. However, my guys know if the work is slow at any particular time they need to find something to do or they will go home. No one is exempt from sweeping, mopping, cleaning walls, machines, toilets or even picking up trash outside. Try that at a union facility. The third thing I will not tolerate after lying or stealing is someone saying "thats not my job."
I agree. It sounds like you run a tight ship, and your guys respect that. Most union jobs have detailed job descriptions that often include the wording: and other duties as assigned. It's up to non-union management to assign those duties. If a union employee is fired for refusing to clean a toilet because it's "not my job", the union can do little to protect him/her.

The following users liked this post:
jd05flhtci (02-26-2018)
Old 02-26-2018, 12:12 PM
not a sock
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 983 Likes on 551 Posts

Buyers Remorse is HELL; isn't it................

Old 02-26-2018, 12:32 PM
smkauffman
Cruiser
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by 5150northrider
I'm Not happy that everything is going up but the paycheck... ie. taxes,cable tv, insurance, food, power, ECT but it is and that goes for Harley Davidson as well. So in the Immortal words of Joe Walsh get over it... nobody said life was fair. But life on a brand new Harley Davidson, we'll I'm willing to pay to get me some of that... lol bikes keep you right in the head... how much is that worth?

You forgot to mention the rising cost of health care...we just went through the annual renewal here for health insurance and the increase in cost was staggering. All the weekly premiums across the board went up and some plans went up by 150% per week.

But to address the point that some of what you pay is for life on a brand new HD...I usually consider some of what I pay for the bike is entertainment expense. When people say they can't believe I pay for a bike I respond that I can't believe they pay to go to the movies every week, or to rent movies, etc. We often jump on the bike and just ride around the area for a couple hours or most of a day without really doing anything else or having a destination.

Old 02-26-2018, 12:49 PM
dceggert
Road Master
Received 495 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by Magnut1
Here is why the price is so high in my opinion. I have a few friends that work union. One female in particular just started at $15.67 per hour. The other day, on a Sunday, her and another female on a different line were chatting that their lines have been down for 3 hours and they are sitting around making double time. Another lady I know, been there 9 years, would make triple time on holidays, her base pay was $22 per hour. So she was making $66 per hour, and bitching the whole time about the inefficiency of the team leaders and so forth. Why the F do we need to pay someone triple time to stand around and bitch, and the same ones will bitch because the new jeep they want is $50K. Stupid if you ask me.
I disagree that union labor 'is the reason for high MSRP's.' Go to seedealercost.com and play around. The transfer cost from HD to the dealer is less than most of its competition. When you buy that new shiny bike you are prepaying for a lot of coffee and donuts at every weekend event at the dealership!

Puts things into a bit different perspective, eh? Look at the dealer cost of the new Goldwing; the new Venture; the new K1600B..eye openers how little margin on those bikes.

The following 2 users liked this post by dceggert:
jd05flhtci (02-26-2018), Wmitz (02-27-2018)
Old 02-26-2018, 12:51 PM
5150northrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 206 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by smkauffman
You forgot to mention the rising cost of health care...we just went through the annual renewal here for health insurance and the increase in cost was staggering. All the weekly premiums across the board went up and some plans went up by 150% per week.

But to address the point that some of what you pay is for life on a brand new HD...I usually consider some of what I pay for the bike is entertainment expense. When people say they can't believe I pay for a bike I respond that I can't believe they pay to go to the movies every week, or to rent movies, etc. We often jump on the bike and just ride around the area for a couple hours or most of a day without really doing anything else or having a destination.
Yep ×2 on the health care thing... and now that you mention it the cost of entertainment is a good way to look at it. Take for example some people are bar people. That's there entertainment right? Well that can be and probably is as expensive as my bike habits... Not to mention it could be bad for my health as well. Good point you had there.

Old 02-26-2018, 12:55 PM
jamala00
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5,220 Likes on 2,574 Posts

The price of a new Harley is expensive, but like others have said, so is everything else.

Last edited by jamala00; 02-26-2018 at 03:48 PM.
Old 02-26-2018, 01:09 PM
cbrenthus
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,574 Likes on 662 Posts

I think the whole HDs are overpriced is basically outdated. Just like how the AMF days still affects HD with the rep that they aren't reliable, I think up until the early 2000s Japanese bikes were much cheaper than HDs. I also think I heard that in the 80s and 90s yen were very weak against the dollar, which allowed the Japanese manufacturers to turn nice profits while selling for much less than HD.

Old 02-26-2018, 01:11 PM
vizcarmb
Stellar HDF Member
Received 525 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by badcooky
People say a lot of stuff.
Yup, stuff is alot, and people pay for it.

Old 02-26-2018, 03:15 PM
Geary Thomas
Tourer
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by jamala00
I don't drink (sober 21 years), I no longer smoke, quit that 16 years ago ($8/pack now a days??), I do not take long extravagant vacations... (just never has really interested me)... My wife and I ride the Harley, and I like to shoot my guns at the range. Those are my entertainment. Many people spend way more then I do year with other things. The price of a new Harley is expensive, but like others have said, so is everything else.
and then there is the current cost of Ammo !!

My wife likes to play the slots.. It takes approx $20 to keep her entained for an hour.. compare that to the cost of going to a movie with their $8 Soda and $10 Popcorn >>> Cheap Date, and sometime she wins ||

Last edited by Geary Thomas; 02-26-2018 at 03:17 PM.

Quick Reply: People say Harley’s are priced too high